Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
OP Offline
K
Tokheim made the model 1120 ATS-DFD pump that accepted dollar bills to operate it. Up to three one dollar bills could be put into it to pay for gas (no change provided). Seems like it was a good idea and I wonder why nobody else did anything with the idea. Granted that in today's world a person would have to empty the money out of it daily.

Does anyone know specifically what make and model of dollar bill acceptor was in this pump? I repair bill acceptors and was curious as to what was supplied.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
As early as 1965 Tokheim introduced a "Money Acceptance Console", Model 952 AT-MAC. It is shown in both the old and the new revised edition of my Gas Pump Identification book. The pumps that dispensed the gas were either the 952 AT-MAD or the 952 AT-Twin-MAD. Tokheim literature does not mention who made the acceptors.
In 1967 Tokheim revised their Money Acceptance Console, it was the Model 952-AT-MAC, it used the same two dispenser pumps.
Incidentally, you could also use coins with both of these units.
The 1100 Series pumps were introuduced in late 1967, but it wasn't until 1971 that Tokheim brought out a new acceptor. My literature lists the dispenser as the Model 1150, it does not give the model number of the acceptor, I assume it was the 1120.
Accepting money to operate a gas pump is nothing new, my Gas Pump Identification book lists many pumps that took coins, the earliest one is the "Automatic" made in 1915.
My main computer is down for some reason, can't post any pictures, will post a picture of the 1120 when I get it back up.

Jack Sim
Author, Gas Pump Identification books, and the Air Meter Identification book. Both are ready to be ordered at: www.petrolianacollectibles.com

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
By the way, Bennett also introduced a coin and dollar bill acceptor in late 1967. The called it the MODE. It would accept up to $6.75 in coins or bills at a time.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
K
OP Offline
K
A service and/or parts manual on the 1120 may at least have a picture of the bill acceptor. Installation manual or parts manual may call out a specific manufacturer/model number.

I suspect it _could_ be a Rowe "OBA" series or National "BuckPasser" bill acceptor.

T
T
It would be very interesting to see pictures of these pumps.
I wonder if there was some way of detecting phony bills without the modern electronic gizmos in todays vending machine acceptors?

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved