Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#734039 Sat Aug 10 2019 10:12 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello all - My name is TC - friends have called me Top Cat since the early 1980s. This is the first forum I have ever posted on & I have a a couple of specific questions for anyone who would like to respond. After a 37 year search, I acquired a reproduction Bowser clock face gas pump today from an auction at a local Fuddruckers restaurant. I know it isn't a real gas pump, but from what I remember from research years ago... I think it is a copy of a Bowser xacto sentry model 310. However, mine has really cool brass parts that I do NOT think were on the 310 (IE: molded side length corner strips, a half-bell shaped light bezel as well as a brass handle rest & nozzle sleeve). SO First: I was just wondering if anyone might happen to know who made these repro Bowser "Time Sentry" pumps the 1980s for Fuddruckers restaurants? Secondly: If I am right (About it being a copy of the model 310) WHEN was the real 310 produced and used by consumers. Third: Is there a chance that 310 repro parts I see online (like the top skins with a display window above the clock face) would fit my purchase if I wanted to add them & repaint it? AND Finally: is or was "Johnson Time Tells Gasolene" a real company? Thanks for your time/replys. TC

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
According to my Gas Pump Identification book, the 310 was made from 1930 to 1934. They were used until as long as they were still usable.

Jack Sim

Author: Gas Pump Bible, gas pump identification book. www.gaspumpbible.com

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If your pump looks like this Gulf time sentry then it is a lot different than a Bowser 310. Here are both.

075_1_w600_h1149.jpg BowserXactoGasPump.jpg

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks - Yes the one I bought looks exactly like the GULF painted one. Does anyone have an idea who made these & if they were just made for fuddruckers restaurants? Or ANY info on a Bowser "Time Sentry"?

I am certainly a novice to gas pump ID, but in almost 40 years of seeing gas pumps at coin-op shows, flea markets, antique shops & the few Petroliana shows I was able to go to, I have not seen the Time Sentry anywhere except at Fuddruckers. To me, it looks more like a Bowser 310 than the xacto sentry but with the brass accents from an Erie of the same era. Thus I assume the Time Sentry was simply created to "Look" like a real (but non-existing) gas pump??? In any case, I think this is a really cool piece of art! AND...it took me 37 years to obtain one. Yesterday was a very exciting day for me!!! THANKS for sharing the photos, TC

T
OP Offline
T
& thanks also to you Jack for the time period reference... I had guessed mine is a reproduction to look like one/s produced in the 1930s, but am still not sure what I have. If you can't tell, I am very excited to finally have a gas pump!

Possibly...

dp ok.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not sure if the one posted by Matt is the same one I have but Vic Raupe out of Guthier OK use to make the one I posted. Don Beaver took over the business from Vic and is now Vic"s 66. For more info you may try contacting him, he is on this site under pump parts. Vic was making these kits in the mid 90's and I think retail was $600.00 for the raw parts. I use to sell them and held this one back to do someday. Hope this helps.

IMG_2580.JPG
Last edited by Done4; Mon Aug 12 2019 09:37 AM.

Have gas all the time
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Your reproduction pump looks more like an Erie from the 1920s.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You’re right Jack, that’s what Vic styled his after.

Have gas all the time
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
i still have the patterns from when i made skins for vic.charley

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Man Charley, we’er sure going back in time. Didn’t know you built them. Great work and craftsmanship to say the least. That’s why I bought into these they were so well done.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guess I need to put this together.

Last edited by Done4; Mon Aug 12 2019 05:46 PM.

Have gas all the time
T
OP Offline
T
Wow, Thanks for all of info. I have to agree completely about the craftsmanship on this. Speaking as a novice: most people I have encountered over the years WHO simply appreciate the art factor of gas pumps would always tell me they think a Fry 117 "May West" is the quintessential 1930s pump (but I know the 117 was made much earlier). For me, I was drawn to this design by Charley because - TO ME: it looked like the perfect 1930s gas pump. Everybody has their favorite & this is mine. SO THANKS again to all for the great info. SO to clarify: this is a combination of the Bowser exacto senty & an Erie? What was the target year: 1930? Lastly, if I wanted to modify this to include a site "display" glass above the brass bell housing (like on the 310), does anyone have a repro source suggestion other than Doug Pray. I ask, only because I assume Doug may only have parts MADE for this created pump & I am hoping to modify it just a bit more. THANKS TC

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gas pump heaven.

Have gas all the time

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved