Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#736977 Wed Oct 09 2019 08:48 AM
F
FishGas Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Super "pumped" to finally have an old gas pump. Came across this Tokheim 39 tall. Have always wanted an old pump. Would love a visible but this one was too nice to pass up. Want to "rust" ore it a little but being a noobie I've got a few questions and this looks to be the community to help. Thanks in advance. Pic's attached and I was unsuccessful with getting the dang things to rotate (sorry). First question is the door signage. Pump clearly from the silhouette on the front was a Shell pump. I'm gathering it had to have been a decal instead of a porcelain sign as there are no holes to mount a tank plate sign. I'm hesitant to drill into the doors to mount a plate so I have ordered a decal (very inexpensive) to see how that looks. Can't quite figure out what the signage might have been on the lower part of the front door though. Maybe a Tokheim decal? Second question would be the face plate fitment. This pump came with two aluminium face plates but the alignment seems to be a little off and there are no holes on one side (see pic) of the face plate itself to match up with the two mounting "threaded tabs" on the actual computer face. The other side face plate does have the screw holes on each side of the "Amount of Sale" windows so mounting that side (not pictured) should not be a problem. The plate does also seem to be a little misaligned and I don’t know if I can attempt to loosen the computer apparatus to shift it a little to line up. No clue if these plates are the original face plates as it does seem as if someone attempted to partially restore. I'm sure I can come up with some way of mounting this but any suggestions or experience/knowledge would be awesome. I'm planning on making this a Super Shell pump and have the ad. glass in route. The decal/tankplate/globe will also be Super Shell. Do want to make sure my globe ring is steel so I can "rust it" accordingly. Any idea's on lightly painting and "rusting" would be appreciated! Not to mention “aging a decal” a little if I go that route. Got some other touch up items (like a nozzle receiver, reset lever, another "Contains Lead" plate, full front glass for one of the doors, a missing door hinge, etc.) are on their way. Going to need to seal this thing up tight so it doesn't become a haven for wasps and dirt dobbers but she will live where she stays. Thanks again for all comments.

20191007_170632.jpg 20191006_154057.jpg 20191007_170658.jpg 20191007_170810.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
FishGas #736979 Wed Oct 09 2019 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's hard to tell in your picture. Are those definitely consistent 'bumps' around the perimeter of the shell? (or did the paint just peel and make it look sort of like a shell?) Because it appears it could also be a Chevron or Calso Supreme pump plate if they aren't consistent 'bumps'.

Although if the yellow ad glass is original, I would be wrong. Shell also had a logo with a square sticker underneath, however the sticker was larger than the spot on your pump.

-Steve

calso1.JPG chevron1.JPG
Last edited by Speedracer; Wed Oct 09 2019 11:00 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
F
FishGas Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Ah Ha!! I do believe you are RIGHT. That Chevron at the bottom looks surprising suspect to the blank spot on the pump door. That yellow ad glass however someone painted yellow from the back side so I'm confident that is not original. I'm still thinking I want to go the Shell route as the red and yellow contrast should really pop. Thank you so much for the reply.

FishGas #737001 Wed Oct 09 2019 02:00 PM
F
FishGas Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Genius Speedracer. Now I just need to decide.... Tough one... Initially considering Shell. Now I've got options. If I go Shell I've got to figure out how to "age" some old red paint!!!

Pump Gas Brands.jpg
Last edited by FishGas; Wed Oct 09 2019 02:01 PM.
FishGas #737002 Wed Oct 09 2019 02:03 PM
S
S
There are a few NOS waterslide shell decals out on ebay right now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SH...GE-SERVICE-STATION-GAS-PUMP/303128022615

F
FishGas Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks Seany425 I've just got to make up my mind what I want!! Red, White, and Blue sure does pop. But.... Shell was my first credit card as a highschooler in 1989. That "gas card" could only buy
gas and stuff at a Shell station. Taught me the "pay it off" discipline I use today. Always been partial to shell.

FishGas #737006 Wed Oct 09 2019 02:38 PM
S
S
I hear ya, I tend to go for what has a special spot in my memory. When I got my pump I was looking at all different options but ultimately went with Mobil because that is what my dad always had in the garage. You should do whatever will make you the happiest every time you look at the pump! Congrats btw!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved