Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#739669 Wed Nov 27 2019 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
New member "FishGas" posted some pictures of the Wayne 665 that he recently bought and is looking to complete. He has found a hose and a nozzle and is now looking for a pump handle and I have been helping him somewhat, but for the life of me, I have never seen a Wayne visible with this type of pump in it? I seem to remember something in the past, about this pump, but can't remember the details?
Is this maybe a Boyle-Dayton unit, or is it something Wayne was trying out, or is it something that someone rigged up in the past to make their pump usable? I have to think the pump came that way with the clean mounting setup and the perfect hole in the skin to allow for the handle?
It all boils down to one question and FishGas wants to know what he needs for a handle for this pump? Hope someone with more knowledge than me, can help us out here?

A7.jpg A4.jpg A5.jpg A6.jpg

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I have had a couple of the Wayne visible with this type of rotary pump and double D handle.
Bruce.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Not sure what a double D handle looks like? Any thoughts on whether or not this was a Wayne pump unit?

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
F
F
Thank you Kevin for helping me look into this as I drove from Dallas to New Orleans today for the holiday (thanks for the nozzle too,).

Little bit of a mystery Ive got here.

Im new to this Forum but in a few short monrhs I've talked, emailed, PM or text'ed some really knowledgeable and helpful folks. Newbie yes but a long time fan of Petrolinia. Just stating to carefully collect. Thanks gentleman.

My first car in 1996 was a 67 Mustang with a 74 Ford 302 & a 69 Mach 1 rearend so Im used to hybrids & working on .them.

This discovery is a similar interesting and a learning experience like my old Mustang.

Objective.... Find a handle that fits & if said handle is not at 12:00 then find a way to move a seized pump to bring the handle to a presentable 12:00 position.

Thanks for any direction.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Look up that patent number that is on the ID tag, it might tell you who the patent was issued to.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have some literature available on these umps: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/wayne%20615.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Wayne pump company was not the only pump company that used the rotary type pump assembly with the double D pump shaft and handle. Hayes used them also, enclosed are a couple picture on the same style pump and with the double D handle on Hayes Model 7960 15 gallon visible.

IMG_8865.JPG IMG_7920_1.JPG
F
F
Excellent! Knew this Forum would make quick work of this discovery. Will help acquiring a correct handle.

Next challenge I guess will be moving the seized pump back to the upright handle position. Any and all suggestions very welcome!!

F
F
Update. Seized pump was a non issue. Being that this old pump was indoors for a couple of the last decades the rusted bolts were not an issue. PB Blaster soak then careful use of a breaker bar and all pump mechanism bolts came out very easily. Removed the face plate to the pump mechanism without any problem. Internal parts were not too bad. I removed a few things, brass brushed everything else and after a swab of axle grease the pump shaft now moves back and forth will light effort. Think I have secured a pump handle so this project is moving along. Thanks to all posters for help.

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
That is a Deming pump unit. Deming built pumps for Fry, Wayne, SW and others. I still see industrial pumps made by Deming. Good luck with the handle.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I wondered who made the pumps for several 1920s visible gas pumps. Now we know what the pumps were called. Thanks Morgan. Here are a couple of images from a 1920 Deming pump catalog. Apparently Deming was not allowed to display their name of the pump units as I have never seen the Deming name on the pump units I have encountered.
Joe

Deming pump 1.JPG Deming pump 2.JPG
Last edited by model72; Tue Dec 03 2019 05:52 PM. Reason: revision
F
F
Look at that! Very cool. Thanks Joe!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved