Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#740483 Fri Dec 13 2019 06:13 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I have a problem that probably is very common to many. Most of my collection of porcelain signs is made up of ones with rust spots. Some worse than others. I do have a few that I am thinking, “Gosh...I sure hope this rust does not get any worse.” I have a Conoco Gasoline, for example (see pic), that is really special to me but really has some blaring rust spots that I sure hope do not get worse.

So my question is...since my collection is all in my garage, protected from the weather, do I not need to worry about it. Or is there something I need to be doing to protect them? I am not wanting to “refinish” the signs, but do something to check the the problem IF I NEED TO. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Steve

A0F147E4-AC62-4773-968D-6CB3F6432178.jpeg
Last edited by Stephenwarren30; Fri Dec 13 2019 06:18 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Removing signs from direct exposure from the elements will definitely help. But I can tell you as a materials scientist/chemist for over 30 years, if you are not going to remove the existing rust and then seal, coat etc the fresh metal, rust and corrosion will continue on some level. However, you can minimize these effects by using some climate control in your garage. The best, of course, would be putting in a dehumidifier to maintain lower humidity levels. It would further help if you can also control the temperature to prevent cycling.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have signs in my garage that have been there for over 40 years with some rust spots,no big change no temperature control.

Frank Jordan
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Originally Posted by hawkike
I have signs in my garage that have been there for over 40 years with some rust spots,no big change no temperature control.

Same here. I don't see any major issues with stuff in my garage. But if you are concerned and want to go the extra mile, reducing humidity will help. Especially in the more tropical climates.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Why would the rust spread to areas of the sign that dont already have porcelain loss?

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
The rust wont travel into ares of porcelain, may get slightly worse in the ares that have rusted and been chipped for ever but not likely if indoors.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If it’s indoors, I WOULDN’T WORRY ONE BIT. It would barely be noticeable if it sat in those conditions for 100 years.

But if your still slightly worried, just use an oil based product on the rust spots. Wd40 or similar, Howard’s Feed and Wax, regular wax, etc. all products that don’t permanently alter the sign. Hell, you can probably put motor oil on the rust spots.

I personally don’t do anything and don’t have any problems.

Last edited by Speedracer; Fri Dec 13 2019 11:25 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks guys for your input!
Steve

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved