Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
okoil1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Indian Motorcycle Sales & Service sign, painted metal, single sided. 96X36X12 (36" at widest point). Sign is dirty and has some smudges/paint loss, 100% guaranteed original. The sign was used circa 1946-1954 at the Indian Motorcycle dealership in Arkansas City, Kansas. Pictures of the dealership and additional pictures of the sign available upon request.

I am going to put the sign on Ebay Sunday night. Delivery to Iowa Gas is possible. The sign has been crated. I will entertain REASONABLE and SERIOUS offers.

Jim Patton
patton_jim@yahoo.com

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great sign, however do you have photos of the sign when it was hanging between 1946--1954 at this dealership, or do you just have photos of the dealership ??

I would be very interested in this sign if you can prove its authenticity with an original photo of the sign hanging during this time period & or any other pertinent documentation you may have

Did you just run this sign on ebay a month or so ago ??

[This message has been edited by roadrelics@aol.com (edited 07-17-2007).]

O
okoil1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
The sign has never been on ebay. The sign is not visible in the pictures, I was told that it was hung inside the building.

I purchased the sign from the attic of the dealership a little over one year ago. I have pictures of the building today and in the late 1940's when it was an Indian dealership. Drywall and ceiling panels had to be removed and replaced to retrieve the sign from the attic. It had literally been "caged" in the attic for over 50 years.

Upon "in person" inspection of this sign, there is absolutely no doubt that it is an authentic piece.

Thanks,
Jim Patton

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the info Jim.........You were told it hung in the dealership or did you remove the drywall & ceiling panels yourself ?? it sure seems awfully dirty & worn for hanging inside its whole life.......

I would imagine if it was encased that many years the neon is original to the sign also???

I would love to inspect the sign in Des Moines & if there is no doubt its original , i will give you a resonable & serious offer......

now i remember where i have seen it, you emailed David Wasserman photos in W.V. a couple of months ago & they were forwarded to me.....Thanks Darryl (roadrelics)

[This message has been edited by roadrelics@aol.com (edited 07-17-2007).]

O
okoil1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Darryl,

The current owner of the building removed the ceiling and put it back in place. I do not know Mr. Wasserman and did not email him pictures. Please call me tommorrow.

jim patton
918 557 4623

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry , Jim I should of started this elsewhere.JimmyT

[This message has been edited by JimT (edited 07-18-2007).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Jim.........whether it was you who sent the photos to David Wasserman or somebody else, he was the one who showed them to me.....It was actually during Columbus gas & oil where Wasserman & i set up & he actually downloaded them on to my lap top computer from his email.....so he got them from somebody..........I am on the road & looking at a large collection today & tommorrow, however will call you later & discuss specifics of the sign, original neon, Etc. etc.......Thanks Darryl

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim T.........I call D.W. to find out if his Harley sign is different than the other listed........I have seen D.W.'sw in person & its very thick & heavy however i don't know the sign......Can you share any other info with us ??

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Harley sign?, I thought we were talking Indian..

R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Was this the sign auctioned a month or so ago in Missouri ?

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
O
okoil1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
My Indian Sign, that is the one for sale in this thread has never been offered at any auction....anywhere. I have no idea about the other sign that is being discussed in this "for sale" thread.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Where some of you may have seen this sign before was right here on Oldgas. A picture was posted in the For Sale section and in the Showcase section on 11/15/06.

Bill Fortune
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
wfort is right, If you look at the pic of the sign from showcase on 11-15-06 and look at the pic in this thread they are the same sign. I think 59fairlane posted the pic on 11-15-06.

Jim

O
okoil1 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Sign is going on ebay tonight. This thread is worthless regarding me trying to sell my sign.

I did post the sign in showcase in November and 59Fairlane posted the pictures on my behalf (which he states in his Nov. post w/ the pictures).

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i wouldn't burn your thread here quite yet Jim......There are some issues & the major one is looking at in person... i would like to see up close in person.... the paint, patina, wiring, neon, etc. etc......If i spend that much money i like to feel what i'm getting......as I said, take it out of the 400 lb crate bring it to Iowa & if "I" can validate it, i would buy it & you could keep the crate......... i have talked to a couple of guys & they say the word "MOTOCYCLE" was not used in the 1940's, it was MOTORCYCLE, however i don't know this to be true & could use some input here........if however it's true, 1946-1954 is the wrong time period......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved