Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Sometime back I posted concerning the origin of the “Sinclair Credit Cards Honored” sign and the meaning of “CCI” in the bottom corner. The 14 1/4 x 23 are definitely the measurements. I did my research and came up dry. The closest thing to an answer was that it might have been manufactured in a prison workshop. That sounded crazy to me but I still do not have any definitive answer. Can anyone...especially you Sinclair guys...shine any light? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

CF383255-4FFB-45E2-BA89-8D0F0257894B.jpeg 22EF91F7-1E97-41FC-A426-3353305EE0F8.jpeg
Last edited by Stephenwarren30; Tue Mar 17 2020 10:28 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
I don't know what the lettering means but mine says the same thing and I know its old and original . I'm sure yours is good . Peter

IMG_2229.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pm sent.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A couple of years ago I had done some research on the makers mark on the bottom right corner. CCI is a mystery to me. I did discover that Colorado Correctional Industries CCI has a sign shop! They produced porcelain license plates for years. Today they contract with various companies to produce lithograph signage. However, they were Juniper Valley Products before 1971. So I have 2 questions.

1) Were the “Sinclair Credit Cards Honored” signs produced before or after 1971? Does anyone know?

2) I have never seen the sign measurements (14 1/4 x 23) noted in the makers mark in any other porcelain sign I have ever seen. Has anyone seen this before and what is the reasoning for doing so?

Anyone who knows the answer to these two questions will achieve Nirvana status among the Petroliana gods!!!! Or at least a large measure of gratitude from me!
Thanks!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve, I know you and I have been PM’ing back and forth on this mystery, but I’m fairly certain that sign was used well before 1971. I believe it dates to the 50’s. However that doesn’t mean they didn’t keep making that sign for years, and possibly decades after.

-Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I just got off the phone with the manager of the sign shop at Colorado Correctional Industries, CCI. She confirmed that the Sinclair Credit Cards Honored sign had not been produced there. This leads me back to the very beginning. My theory is “toast” and I can now sing “Gloom, Despair, Excessive Misery”.

So we do not know what CCI stands for.

And unlike any sign I have ever seen in the last 25 years of collecting, it displays the dimensions (14 1/4x23) beside the mysterious makers mark CCI.

I have taken it as far as I can go. If anyone has detective blood coursing through your veins and you can find the answer my hat is off to you.

Steve

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved