Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
So I am finally underway with my Gilbarco 996C restoration. The trouble part I have now is getting the one side off. To do this, I need to remove the nozzle and/or hose. The hose is 40 years old and been outside in the elements until last fall when I got it into my garage. Unfortunately last night I punctured it, spilling fluid onto the floor and my garbage can (after I grabbed it over).

So that leads me to be curious as to what others have done to remove the existing gas in the pump and hoses? I recall someone mentioning on a different forum post that there is about a gallon of fluid or so left in the pump, so how does everyone get it out? Or is that the one painful part of the process?

Any tips for removing diesel/home heating oil smells from you worksite quickly or how best to remove the hose itself would also be greatly appreciated.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I always disassemble my pumps on a large sheet of cardboard.

It soaks up small spills and can be thrown out when needed.

Also get yourself a large bag of either kitty litter or oil dry to soak up any larger spills.

Later . . .

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Exactly what T-Way said!!

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
And do NOT flick your bic!!

I hope the water heater is not in the garage.

Last edited by hawkike; Sun Sep 06 2020 04:00 PM. Reason: edit

Frank Jordan
R
OP Offline
R
thanks Jim!
I had a sheet of cardboard under it, but only a 2 foot by 2 foot square. evidently not big enough! But a lesson worth learning.
I will be picking up kitty litter this week when Ia m out so that should solve any future spills.

Luckily the water heater or anything problematic is safely down in the basement!

Anyone have some advice on how to drain the gas or remove the hoses? I was thinking about cutting mine down at the nozzle so that will be removed, followed by a second cut inside the pump to get rid of it since I can't get the attachment screws to move. Just am worried I am inviting a mess. I figured there was a way to draw it all out but short of running the pump (assuming i can get the electrical going - its not seized at least) and having it suck water (to clean it out), I am out of ideas.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The first question is are you gutting it or leaving the guts in, which is personal preference and has been discussed on here hundreds of times.

But the reason I ask.... If your gutting it, don’t worry about trying to cycle the gas through. Cut the belt and start removing the motor, pumps, filters, etc. most of the gas will still be in the pump mechanism itself. When you remove it, just hold it upside down over a bucket, drain the gas and put it in the scrap pile. Repeat with all the other components (the motor obviously won’t have gas in it).

Now if your NOT gutting it, and are restoring the guts, do everything mentioned above, but go one step further and take apart the pump, the ‘metering pump’ and any filter canisters and clean them out. I actually gut the insides of those smaller individual components (the pump, metering pump, any filter canisters) to get rid of the gas/smell and then clean them and then put them back together without any internal parts.

And finally... If your just doing a cosmetic restoration on the external panels and leaving the pump outside for display, I wouldn’t even worry about it. Just leave the guts in as added weight (theft deterrent) and lock it down, if it’s visible from the road.

There is no real easy way. It’s going to get messy either way. Your going to have to get your hands (and floor) dirty... lol. However, I will say this... since you are new at it, take lots of pictures from every angle as you take stuff apart, put those parts in bags and number them as you go. Write the numbers and order down on a pad and just work in reverse for re-assembly.

...and don’t worry about the hose, buy a new one for $35. The old ones are usually crunchy and brittle anyways.

Good luck,
Steve

Here’s a 904, I restored the guts, but all of the internals of each component was cleaned and gutted.

067B83D3-BF5F-4CD0-9EE6-32458E8BA8B1.jpeg C57C81C5-7061-4A34-891C-76AF9B6C525F.jpeg
Last edited by Speedracer; Mon Sep 07 2020 08:25 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
That looks really good Steve, nice work!

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks Steve! I really appreciate the insightful post along with the pictures. That is a beautiful job you did!

I really struggled on the decision to gut it. I finally made a call to gut it. The pump was from my great aunts gas station and I grew up visiting the station as a kid as well as playing with this particular pump (it was pulled from use around the time I was born and she had it stashed behind a garage on her property next to my grandparents). I got the pump after she passed away a couple of years ago and my intention is to completely restore it back to its former glory since its something I am interested in and have sentimental value with, but also is a bit of a family thing (my grandfather is very excited that i am getting going on this). My goal is to have it either in my finished basement rec room or in my garage to go with my mustang so that was what leads me to removing the guts. I would love an outdoor display pump (we are debating moving to a rural property next year, so maybe that's in the cards) but this one has been outdoors between 1950 and when i got it home a year and a half ago, so I think I'll let it enjoy not being out in the elements! I will be re-wiring it to make use of the lights and hopefully will rig it up to have the computer function (but that's a problem for far down the road!).

I wanted to save the hose as I said, but yeah, you were spot on with it being brittle. Completely toast. My plan tomorrow is to load up on some kitty litter and buckets and I'm going to slice the hose and let it drain.

That was great advice on bagging/tagging every piece along with taking pictures. I have been doing that from the get go (although i need to stop and remind myself to take pictures it seems) as I figured that was the best way to ensure I put it back together properly. I also acquired a copy of the parts book for this model which shows the parts, their ID numbers and how it fits together (has already paid for itself!).

But thanks again. Honestly from the work you did on your 904, it is making me rethink gutting mine! I may have to find myself a second and try to do a job as good as you have with that!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thank you both for the nice comments and have fun with your pump. This is a great website if you need any advice in the future.

-Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved