Print Thread
#754481 Thu Sep 10 2020 07:09 AM
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
I decided to remove the rust from the three sticks of gallon markers from my Rapidayton 450. I purchased a gallon of Rustoleum rust remover (not acid based) and placed to sticks of markers into the fluid. I was trying to remove enough rust from the steel rods that I could slip the markers off of the rods. After 10 minutes i removed the markers and noticed that the only thing that had been removed was the painted on numbers! Since gasoline or diesel would have dissolved oil-based paint, it looks like a water-based paint like a tempera was used. The only good news is that I did not have room to place the 3rd stick of markers into the rust remover. Lesson learned. Now I will have to purchase adhesive numbers or get stencils made and the font will not match the original, but it will look better than blank pieces of aluminum.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Show me what your gallon markers look like. I'm restoring my American visible and I'm re-painting the markers. They're actually turning out really well and it's not that difficult to repaint them if the detail is raised. I don't have a pic on my computer to show you though.

Brian H
M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Unfortunately, the markers on a Rapidayton 450 are not raised. I assume the used a stencil. In addition to the 1" tall numbers, gallon is abbreviated to the side, GAL. I will have to find a print shop that will make adhesive labels or cut stencils. Adhesive labels would be last choice. It is difficult to identify the don't used 90+ years ago.
Joe

M
model72 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Unfortunately, the markers on a Rapidayton 450 are not raised. I assume the used a stencil. In addition to the 1" tall numbers, gallon is abbreviated to the side, GAL. I will have to find a print shop that will make adhesive labels or cut stencils. Adhesive labels would be last choice. It is difficult to identify the don't used 90+ years ago.
Joe

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved