Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
fliptop Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hello all ! While I am new to this site, I am definitely not new to collecting. I have been collecting Petroliana anf related items since the early 60's, as well as maintaining, driving and restoring cars (Ford Retractables, Mustangs and T-Birds)since then also. Now that I have "retired" from my 41 years as a Civil Engineer, I now have time to do the things I've wanted to for years.
My current project is a M&S Model 80 gas pump that I picked up about 25-30 years ago. It has spent most of that time inside my garage, just waiting for my attention. Thus the "works" are in pretty good shape. As a matter of fact, the gears in the variator look virtually new. The counter gears are a little dirty, but in good condition. Even befiore I doused everything with a good amount of PB Blaster, it reset correctly, every time. I have pulled out all of the electric motor items, the pump, reservoir, etc., just leaving basically the lighting conduits, computer, "eyeballs" and pipes to them inside. My intent is after stripping and repainting this pump, to motorize it so it appears to be pumping gas. I have been told by some "experts" that I have a 1949 or 1950 model of the M&S Model 80, and thus probably a Model 49 Veeder-Root computer. A friend has furnished me information on the Veeder-Roots, but of course it only covers the Models 36 and 56. I know the workings are vIrtuaslly the same, and understand how they should work.

Now my problem - resetting the "Price per Gallon". As I mentioned, all of the gears in the Counter appear to move correctly, both in resetting to zero, and in "delivery" mode. I understand how the price per gallon is to be reset by inserting the pins through the range plates and into the holes in the range lever and gear. All 3 range lever and gear assemblies move up and down freely on their vertical shafts. The problem is that it appears that the Range Lever and Gear is also supposed to rotate in towards the Cone Gear, so that you can insert the Range Lever Pin into the desired hole in the Range Plate and into the hole in the Range Lever and gear. The Range Lever and Gears will not rotate in toward the Cone Gear; it is like the Rack Links that mesh with the gears on the bottom of the price wheels are keeping the gears from rotating inward. Is there something that must be released, unlocked, loosened, etc. on the Rack Links to allow the inward movement ? Once the links are freed, and the Range Lever and Gears can move in, will this change the Price Wheels, or do you need to rotate each Price Wheel ?

Finally, one last question; my computer does not have, nor does it appear to ever have had a bell on it. I would like to have this when I motorize it, as I remember this all too well from my old high school days. Is there a way to add this feature to my computer ? If so, how, and where would I get the necessary parts ?

Hopefully some kind Veeder-Root or gas pump guru out there can help. Thanks for taking the time.

Fliptop

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Did you ever get answers for your questions about the seemingly locked price wheels and also how to add a bell? I am new to working with these VR units and I have the same two questions about the one I'm working on right now. If you have information on both questions, would you mind sharing with me please?

Patrick

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
HighOctane, Welcome to Oldgas. fliptop hasn't been on this site since 2013. You might post this in the General Petroliana Discussion forum. Good luck!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Thanks for the welcom, SandP. I'll do that.

Patrick

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome!

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Greetings from Nebraska.

Greg

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved