Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
Hello Folks,

I recently purchased one of Kevin Frith's kits to use a 110V motor to operate my Veeder Root computer. I'd like to operate it with a 12V switch in the pump nozzle. I'm new to petroliana and this is my first pump restoration. If anyone could tell me how to do it and/or where to source the needed parts It would be most appreciated!

Thank You

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Why install the switch in the nozzle? Why not install switch in the nozzle rest so it activates when the nozzle is removed?

Jeff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've seen people run the motor when the nozzle handle is squeezed, they had installed a push button switch that the lever pressed when squeezed

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
1 member likes this: ClassicRocker
B
OP Offline
B
I'd prefer to install a push button switch that is activated when the nozzle handle is squeezed. I'm just worried about running 110 into the nozzle which is why I'm hoping a 12V switch can be used. Problem is I don't know how to pull it off... smile Sadly I'm not an electrician.

T
Tob Offline
T
This would require a relay... I've never done this but it shouldn't be too complicated.

TOB

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Find a power supply that puts out 12v. You could use an old wall adapter for a kid's toy, an old battery charger, or anything that puts out 12v. Don't worry about milliamps, you're only driving a relay, and they have almost no draw. These things are everywhere, thrift shops, garage sales, ect. Get an outlet and box with cover plate and use sheet metal screws to attach it to the frame of the pump. Connect line voltage to the outlet, install wall cover on outlet. Plug in wall adapter. You now have 12VDC inside the pump. Find a 12V relay rated for 120v output. Wire one side of the coil wiring to one wire from the adapter. Run a double strand wire through the hose to the nozzle. Connect both wires to your switch. Back in the pump connect one wire to the leftover wire from the adapter to the nozzle wire. Connect the other wire from the nozzle to the other coil lug on the relay. Connect 120v hot wire from your line into the pump to the normally open POSTof the relay. Connect the wire to the motor to the POLE of the relay.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the information Tob and Mike618b. That detailed explanation is greatly appreciated! Now I know what I need and how to make the connections. Thanks a million! smile

T
Tob Offline
T
Just make sure you make/break the hot not the ground side of the 120v...:-)

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved