Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#758998 Thu Dec 31 2020 08:30 AM
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
Jack Sim passed away October 23, 2020 at the age of 85. His 3 books about old gas pumps and one about air meters vastly increased the knowledge available in our hobby. Jack built an extensive collection of gas pump and air meter literature. His research and collaboration with other experts are the basis of most of what we know of the history of the pumps and meters we love to collect. His contributions to our hobby will live on.

Jack was always good to me and I tried to always cooperate with him in any way I could. He will be missed.

Jack Sim Obituary:
https://www.valhallafunerals.net/obituaries/John-Sim-3/#!/Obituary

John-Sim-1603882890.jpg

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
1 member likes this: Gasman84470
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
S
Jack helped me several times, I will miss his knowledge and willingness to help people.

R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Bummer to hear Jim but thanks for letting us know.
Condolences to Cindy and his family.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sad, I proudly own his books and will greatly miss his posts. Condolences to his family. We will greatly miss him.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
My condolences to his family and friends.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Extremely sorry to hear about Jack's passing and offer my deepest condolences to his family. I was fortunate enough to meet Jack at several shows and he always had time to answerer any questions I had. His contributions to the hobby so many of us love is unmeasurable and his posts to this site will be missed.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Truly a legend in the hobby. Always fun to talk to at the shows. His expertise will truly be missed, as it was an asset to all of us. Prayers go out to his friends, family and his wife, Cindy.

Last edited by Speedracer; Thu Dec 31 2020 09:26 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wow, sorry to hear this. I always talked to Jack at Iowa Gas. The hobby lost another great one.

-Matt
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Wow , So Sorry to get this news !
May Jack RIP ,
The world has loss another Great person that help this hobby & Lot of us on here.

Regards
Sid

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Godspeed Jack. He was a true gas pump aficionado.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
So sorry to here of Jack's passing he was a great guy that will be missed. I first met Jack at the Hershey show when he would bring many varieties of Air meters. They looked so cool back in the day how they were displayed. My condolences to his wife and family.

G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
My condolences go out to Cindy and the family. Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack goes to Gas Pump Heaven with his Bible in hand and joins a lot of other collectors we have lost of late. At least they'll have lots to talk about. We will miss his knowledge and straightforward replies back here. Thanks for the education Jack and rest easy.

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
So sorry to hear of Jack's passing. He was ALWAYS so willing to help. A GREAT man. Prayers to his family.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
my condolences - a true icon too the hobby,

Jack's knowledge will definitely be missed - RIP .. ... cool

Last edited by advertologist; Thu Dec 31 2020 10:21 AM.

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wow, this is sad news. Jack was a huge asset to this hobby and his contributions to the hobby will live on for years. My condolences to his wife Cindy and their family. We'll miss you Jack.

Brian H
Another oldgas OG gone. RIP Jack, you were always good to me.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Jack and I teamed up to share a hotel room at Iowa Gas a couple of years ago. What a fun time....he was a hoot, especially after sampling a beer or three! Jack was a thoughtful, hardworking, and generous person to the end, even though life threw him some curve balls along the way. Thinking of you and Cindy today, Jack. Rest in peace good friend. John

R
R
I was so sad when I heard this news . I was with Jack the Saturday he got home from Des Moines . We had a nice visit and I bought some air meter manuals from him . Cindy , my condolences to you and your family . His knowledge was so vast and he was always happy to share it . I will miss seeing and talking to him at local auctions or the shows . RIP Jack .

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
One additional quick thought, Gang. As many of you know, when Jack wasn't spending time with his hobby publication and literature business, he could be found at his Amvet post shooting darts (he was a champion at that). Of course, while there he'd also enjoy a brew or two. He was known to generously provide a beverage for his friends and acquaintances there time and time again. He was a proud veteran, and a guy who knew how to have a good time!

I see from Jack's obituary that memorials can be sent to his longtime Amvet post in his name. Sounds like a good idea to me! The address is: Amvets Post #55, 8842 Natural Bridge Road, St. Louis, MO 63114. Anyone wishing to direct a card and/or memorial to Jack's wife, Cindy could use this address: 3933 Madeline Dr., St Louis, MO 63114. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Thu Dec 31 2020 11:58 AM.
1 member likes this: Ryan Underthun
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
My condolences to his family

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
My condolences to his family and friends.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Condolences to the family ! Jack was one of the foundations of the hobby . He answered many questions for me when I was a newbie on the site .Between he and Dick Bennett i bet they got sick of answering my questions but never let on when I restored my first pump. Always held a lot of respect for Jack and Dick . Peace be with him .

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I'm saddened to log in to Old Gas today and have this be the first post I see, another hobby veteran gone. My condolences to Jack's family, he was full of knowledge as we all know and good to deal with too.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R

2614E7FF26BE49CB9FA27A766D23470E.jpg

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R

8821EC8FC3AA4C86801088025F344ED5.jpg

1 member likes this: hawkike
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Such sad news to hear of his passing. Condolences to his family. His contributions to the gas pump hobby is unrivaled, he truly is the father of the hobby. He will be missed but I will remember him everyday as I pick up one of his books.

Tom

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
RIP Jack, thank you for knowledge and your service to the hobby and the country 🙏

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Very sad news , one of the greatest minds and father to our hobby. Will continue to use his great books he signed before mailing.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Man another old gas guy gone. He died quite a few days back now and we were all wondering how he was doing. No one answered. Man a really great guy who had a ton of knowledge for us all and always seemed to have time for everyone. Jack really sorry to log on to see this, and thank you for your service.
Craig

Craig
B
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
B
Very sad to hear!! I pray for peace and comfort for the family.
Will be missed, Brian

Looking for anything to do with The Rapson Tyre Co.
E
E
It is with great sadness I just learned of Jack's passing he was a great guy,sure learned a lot over the years from him.RIP condolences to the family. Doug

Eco Air Meters buy,sell and trade.705-323-2128
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
My condolences to Jack's family and friends! He certainly did contribute SO MUCH to this hobby, and helping people out with his knowledge. He will be missed! Godspeed!

Michael F. Moran
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
RIP Jack,
Here's a post I enjoyed between Jack and Dick Bennett-
"Dick, you are absolutely correct about the Korean War. The fighting started in June, 1950, and ended on July 27, 1953 (thirty days after I gradutated from High school.

But according to the military records and the American Legion records, all military that joined or were drafted into the military before February 1,1958 were considered Korean War Veterans. This is the group I fall in. Even though I graduated from HS before the war ended, I did not enter the U.S.Army until Jan. 10, 1958 making me eligible for the GI Bill, and declared me a Korean Veteran. I served 3 1/2 years in the U.S. Army, three years at Ft. Leonard Wood.

While this has nothing to do with the embargo on the use of tin for cans, it does set a period of time that there was an embargo.
Embargos were not dropped the day the war ended.

I would also like to report that the U.S. Army did not seem fit to send me to Korea at that time. I was sent to Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri where I spend almost 3 1/2 years defending Ft. Wood against a Korean invasion. I also wish to report that while I was stationed there no one Korean soldier was above to cross the Kansas border into Missouri during my guard.

One little addition to my story. While stationed at Ft. Wood, MO, I married a girl who lived 30 miles south of Ft. Wood. She was a former U.S. Army Nurse who actually served in Korea during the war.
I used to make trips to her family home in Eminancee, MO. The roads had yet to be paved, there was phone service, but electric had not yet reached the area. Just up the road was a general store with a visible pump. I am proud to say that I pulled in one day and had my 1953 Ford filled with gasoline from the visible pump.
The general store closed and my wife's brother purchased the property, but I was never able to find out what happened to that visible pump. I walked all of the fields around the property looking for it, but it was gone. From that day, I wanted a visible pump. I knew I would be restoring an old car soon, but I still wanted a visible pump to put next to it.

Jack"
Ron & Cathy

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
2 members like this: DuceCpe, 1965CHPCSP
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
As I read these messages, I am reminded of meeting Jack a very long time ago at the Chicago Juke Box show. That has been at least 25 years ago? He was always great for stories. He had so much knowledge and freely shared. There is not a day that goes by where I do not refer to one of his fine manuals. Our hobby has lost some really fine members in the recent years. Unfortunately, we are all getting older and even our time will come. God bless Jack, his family and the Country he loved. He will be missed. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
So sorry to see this news. My sympathy to his family and many friends.

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Really don't know what to say besides,
Thank You Jack!
Thank You Cindy for sharing him with us and supporting him through ALL his unending searches and work that took him away from you and your family for countless hours!
...An absolute GIANT of a Human Being of the likes we will NEVER see again!
I never had a chance to meet him but, like many on here, he was kind enough to answer a couple of my questions with a teachers tone and demeanor.
I wish one of the national news networks would do a celebratory feature of him and his life!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So sad to hear this. Prayers of peace and comfort go out to the Sim family. You will be missed Jack!

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Rest in paradise sir!

Always looking for Frontier and Beeline items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
So sorry to hear this sad news. Jack's family and loved ones are in our prayers and thoughts.

F
F
I just heard this sad news. I did not know Jack personally and I only talked to him a couple of times but his books are a welcome part of my library. It would have been an honor to have met him. Rest in peace Jack.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I thank Jack for all the knowledge he collected and shared with everyone. I reference my copy of the gas pump bible regularly. Rest easy Jack!

A
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
A
My condolences to all his family and friends,very sad to hear of his loss.he will be missed by all of us in the hobby ,he contributed so much .Jack RIP.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
We lost an absolute icon in the Hobby.
Rest In peace Jack,we were all better for meeting & knowing you.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Sorry to learn of Jack's passing. My condolences to his family.

ROD [Mich.]
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
"...An absolute GIANT of a Human Being of the likes we will NEVER see again"!

I 2nd this statement.

I remember when the newest edition of the Gas Pump Bible came out and Jack unveiled them at Iowa Gas. I kept checking at his room on the 2nd floor to see when he would finally open. I finally caught him early evening and I was one of the first to get a signed copy. I will never forget that moment as we talked for several minutes. It was an honor to meet, talk, and know Jack. R.I.P. sir.

-Matt
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I'm truly sorry to hear about Jack. He really put forth a ton of effort to keep us educated and up to date about what we hunt for. I can't imagine how many hours and how much money he spent gathering information for the books that were published just so we had something to use for reference. I always enjoyed having a beer with Jack at Iowa Gas and listening to his crazy stories. Thanks Jack and we are praying for you Cindy.

Goober smile

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
SO sad to hear ,knew he was having health issues. Prayers for Cindy, family, and friends. Never forget Jack was the one that sent me looking for history of Pierce in St. Louis MO. where I found a lot of info. RIP Jack!

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
So sad to hear about Jack's passing. He was a one of a kind guy, and probably forgot more than most of us will ever know about gas pumps and their history. My sympathies to his family. I am so glad he was able to complete the 3rd edition of his Gas Pump Bible - he worked so hard on it for so long! I'm honored that I received my signed copy in person at Iowa Gas a few years back. I'll always think of Jack whenever I use it. His presence at the shows and his comments here on Old Gas will be missed. I'll throw some darts and raise a glass in Jack's honor. May he Rest in Peace.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Very sorry to hear of Jack’s passing. My condolences to his family. There is no doubt that he will be missed.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Being too busy with the holidays and travel and hadn't checked Oldgas in a while. So shocked and saddened to hear of Jack's passing. He was a great guy and such an asset to the hobby. I hadn't talked to him in a while since he was working on the last book and used a few pump pictures I had. He was always going to stop by and see me when he and Cindy were going to Branson but never made it by. Rest in peace Jack, you will be missed.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Had heard this a while back but never saw this thread confirming this. Sad to hear as he was a big part of our hobby and will be greatly missed.

Thanks to MetroPetro for posting my photo of Jack that my wife Joanne took at Iowa Gas in 2018 as we had a blast talking with him there!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved