Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#759501 Thu Jan 14 2021 07:14 PM
R
RSMS Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I just bought what I believe to be a very clean and original and fully operating Tireflator. I've been looking for one of these for my garage as I've always thought they were really cool. The best I can tell it looks to be original paint because the nicks and scratches it has show the paint thickness is not thick, looks to be only painted once. I've never seen a black one so I'm not sure though. I would like an opinion on if it's original and what model it might actually be along with an estimated date. The tag is not on the back. Inside the cover appears to be original or atleast not aftermarket. I think I would like to know a guestimate value to see how much I over payed LOL

IMG_4736[1].JPG
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Appears your missing the wall mount base, readily available. Looks nice and clean. What did you pay for it?

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is not anywhere near the original paint,that original collectors seek.
The missing ID tag in back is a HUGE factor for those same collectors too.
It might be an original model #97,(wall mount),that someone turned into a model #98,(floor mount) instead.The missing ID tag would've shown that & might be why it was removed.
Does it work properly when you hook air up to it & calibrated correctly?

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
R
RSMS Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Yes, it does seem to work correctly but I haven't checked it against a known good gauge yet. I just picked it up this evening and we hooked air and hoses up to it before I bought it. It definitely isn't in new show room perfect condition and I'm fine with that, I was looking for a little bit of the patina look and not something overly restored. I have never seen a black one so I'm not sure if it is original although the condition of the paint and the thickness makes me believe it only has one paint job on it. Were there originally black tireflators? I would much rather have the tag on it but it is what it is and for my use it wasn't a deal breaker. Is the difference between a #97 & a #98 the mounting style and is this interchangeable? I would like it to be a pedestal mount when I install it even if I have to fabricate my own.

W
W
I have one that is a pipe mount but the previous owner had it mounted to a wall. I made my own pipe to mount it on so it doesn't have to stay in one spot now.

DSCN0225.JPG DSCN0918.JPG
Last edited by Wrench man; Fri Jan 15 2021 08:25 AM.
R
RSMS Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Wrench man.... I like that! It's a very clean look. That's similar to what I was envisioning except I'm not sure about using the wall mount bracket ( I don't have one) My thoughts were to make a mounting plate to attach directly to the housing. I'm missing what I believe is possibly an exhaust muffler(?) What is the piece the screws into the air port on the side that has the number crank/knob?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Black was never an offered color on these,as well as that's a recent modern day paint job with too much gloss.
Yes #97 is a wall mount,and #98 a pipe floor mount is the only difference.
The majority in this photo are ECO 98's.

eco98.jpg
Last edited by Cold Pizza; Fri Jan 15 2021 09:52 AM.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
R
RSMS Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Looks like you have a nice collection. If black was not an original color I will good ahead and refinish it even though that wasn't my intentions. My real hobby is cars and I'm a stickler for originality or at least restored to original specs. I see no reason to veer of on this. I'm not sure which of you pictures would show (or maybe they all do) the correct stand/pedestal. Please advise Depending on the cost to find a original or reproduction of the original I might just go ahead and be on the look out for that also. Worse case, I will make something similar myself. Could you also shed a little insight on what should be in the air port on the crank/dial side of the housing, I have an open port
thanks

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Nice find, check Ron Scobie Enterprises , he has brass and or chrome drain plugs.

R
RSMS Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Well, looks like this isn't the original paint I was hoping for but I'm pretty sure the rest of it is original. It does work and function correctly with no air leaks although I didn't get a chance to see if it's calibrated correctly. I've decided I will go ahead and re-paint it and try to clean the chrome up a bit and add a light socket (I have the bracket) along with either making or buying a floor mount pedestal and pole. Would someone care to give me a rough idea what this is worth in the condition it's in or after it's painted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ron Scobie has the stuff you are missing including a replacement I.D. tag http://www.gaspump.com/Air_Meters/Eco_90_series_parts.html

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
R
RSMS Offline OP
OP Offline
R
thanks guys!!

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Good morning RSMS, just my humble opinion because you see these with prices all over the place, but without a wall mount bracket, they seem to be bringing $750.00 - $1000.00.

Michael F. Moran

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved