Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hello, all!

This is my dad's oil drum (Paul Kilgore) that I am posting for him. He's a 2nd generation antiques dealer and has seen many things in his time, but this drum seems to be a rare bird. Was picked up from a barn from an estate that hadn't even been touched since the 50's, so authenticity isn't even a question. Based on the location of the estate, it most likely came from the old Crown Gasoline service station in Sardis, MS, but this is just educated speculation. He is interested in finding out just how much it's worth, since we can find no comparable specimen anywhere, specifically one advertising motorcycle oil. Thanks for your input, and I have more pictures if needed, but the site would only let me attatch 4.

Ian Kilgore

20210129_110616.jpg 20210129_111621.jpg 20210129_111802.jpg 20210129_110642.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Ian,

That is a really cool barrel, but if your asking for a value.... I'm sorry to say, but I don't think its worth anywhere near the $15,000 you are asking.

Last edited by Speedracer; Fri Feb 12 2021 01:44 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
Agree 👍

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is very cool and very rare but it does not specifically advertise a brand like Pope, HD, Indian, Yale or etc. I think it would command a lot more if it did.
It is obviously from a motorcycle shop/dealership but without having a label, you will never be able to prove it.
Barrels are only collected by few, also, because of their size and difficulty to display. Many cut off the ends for display reasons.
Wood also needs care including finding a way to keep the wood moist so that it will stay in the shape and not dry out so that it falls apart.
The big thing tho is that it could easily be faked even tho I do NOT think yours is. Someone could find a old barrel and use a old wood burning pen/paint and stencils to reproduce this, so many collectors stay away from stuff like this if it is big money because they don't want to take the chance on being fooled.
My opinion is that as it is at the moment, it's worth around $1000 and if cleaned up/?restored? and put into a decent auction, maybe around $3K???

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
If you really want to know, throw it out there on ebay or facebook, that will tell you what you need to know.... I really dont think you plan on keeping it at this point.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think 350. Is a realistic price

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I found a cool site that has a lot of information on wood oil barrels, if anyone is interested.....

http://www.petroleumhistory.org/OilHistory/pages/Barrels/barrels.html

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved