Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7661 Sun Apr 18 2004 09:35 AM
M
MM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Well I'm almost done with my first pump but I can't figure out how to mount the globe on my bennett. I'm missing some part? I have the repo globe and base holder but can't figure out how to attach the base to the top of the pump. Do bennetts use some part? If anyone has the part I need or a picture so I can fab one I would appreciate it.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#7662 Sun Apr 18 2004 10:53 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
You need to tell us what model Bennett pump you have restored.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#7663 Sun Apr 18 2004 11:43 AM
R
R
Some Bennett pumps use a larger globe mounting ring than other pumps. These rings can be purchased from many dealers. As Jack indicated in his response, really need to know the correct model number of the pump.

#7664 Sun Apr 18 2004 05:37 PM
R
R
Since the subject of globes on a Bennett has come up, I would like to expand upon the subject. I have a Bennett 756 which I am currently restoring. Instead of a globe, I would like to install a spinner on the top as was used in later years for advertising the station products. I have the cover for the hole in the top of the pump but I am missing the bearing/holder that was attached to the cover and held the advertising sign.

Does anyone have a source of the holder or any advertising?

Thanks for your help!

#7665 Sun Apr 18 2004 05:45 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
rod: i may have one of those guys on an old top...but cannot email you...no address. gary

#7666 Sun Apr 18 2004 08:20 PM
M
MM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Opps... sorry I thought all bennetts were the same. My pump is a 1066... which is very similar to a 966 just different sight glass setup, rest of the pump is the same. Any ideas? I'm guessing I may have to make up some kind of mountig ring to attach the globe holder...

#7667 Mon Apr 19 2004 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MM, You have to call Seth at Vic's and he sells a set up to mount the globe ring. The only thing i didn't like about the one from Seth is i didn't want the polish aluminum ring and i had to laser a bigger hole in it so the light bulb could go through it. You can cut a bigger one your self with a jig saw. I am sure some of the other vendors sell these but i know Seth has them.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#7668 Mon Apr 19 2004 06:04 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Jarvis...thanks for the plug on the globe mount. We had some folks requesting the polished globe mount on the Bennett mount so I just figured those that didn't could scuff it up and paint it. As for the smaller hole....the reason we did that was so you fix your socket higher up into the globe. The original bulb placement is fairly low, so you can actually pull the wiring up thru the hole in the bottom plate and mount a socket off of it. Anyway, we do have them and they are $35.

#7669 Mon Apr 19 2004 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
MM:

Your pump takes a special globe mounting assembly.

http://www.vicsplace.com/cart.asp?action=catalog_start&catid=123

The above link will take you to the Vic's web page that has the mounts. The price on the net is $5.00 more than the current catalog so ask them about that when you call.

As for making the hole bigger - do your paint work, attach the mount to the top and wait to attach the bulb socket until you have the top mounted on the frame assembly.

If you use the threaded rod conduit to extend the bulb up into the globe body, you can have the rod in place with the wires sticking out of it. Mount the top first, then finish the wiring of the socket and you're in business.

later . . .

Jim

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 04-19-2004).]

#7670 Mon Apr 19 2004 07:24 AM
M
MM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
HMM... I got my parts from a guy who sells NOS bennett parts. My globe holder looks like a polished generic holder. I like it and want to use it but the holder is barely bigger then hole in the top.... thus the reason I thought I'm mising a part or need to fab something... the guy I bought my stuff from said I needed some kind of mounting plate but he hasn't responded to any of my emails? So I thought I would ask here... BTW I'm using the origional wire box... I just rewired everything with new, not sure if that makes a difference?

#7671 Mon Apr 19 2004 04:24 PM
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
MM, I have a 966 and I had the same problem, what I did was make a back up plate, I made it out of a peice of galvinized sheet metal , I had some extra rubber door glass molding and put it around the hole in the top of the pump ,then put the globe ring on top and the back up plate inside and bolted them together, making a sandwich out of the rubber molding, Its a little tight getting the bolts past the rubber, but it came out great, and it makes a nice water tight seal. I hope this helps, if you have any questions drop me a line.

Chris Holt
#7672 Mon Apr 19 2004 09:26 PM
M
MM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Chris... you did what I was planning to do exactly. I jut thought someone might make a part so I don't have to make another piece... but it looks like I will anyways. Thanks!

#7673 Tue Apr 20 2004 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MM, The part from Vic's is made to fit the bigger hole in the top of the bennett pumps. Seth said he has a small hole so you can put the light bulb higher in the globe and i made the hole bigger and used the original light fixture. T-Way put a link for you to see it. I have a picture of mine done if you want a picture.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#7674 Wed Apr 21 2004 09:42 AM
M
MM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Jarvis, would you mind posting a pic so I can see... having a hard time visualizing it. On mine the guys that powder coated everything lost a part for the top light so I went to the hardware store and got some "replacement" parts... I beleive mine will be higher up in the globe... but I won't know until I get my parts back. I never thought to check....

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved