Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jerry H Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I will try this again since it didn't seem to go thru last night. Hi, my name is Jerry. I am new to the gas pump hobby. I just acquired a Tokheim model 600 visable gas pump. The bonnet and top plate was easily removed as it must have been removed at some time previously. I removed the six bolts underneath thinking that the ring that the 12 vertical rods go thru would loosen and let that part and the glass come off. It would not budge. The glass is intact so far. I am not sure where to go from here. I read the thread about removing the glass using brake fluid or WD40 and a pick of some kind, but that seemed pretty vague and did not mention anything about the cast ring that the rods go thru or how to remove the tubes inside the glass. Please help and be specific if you can about this model pump. Thanks, Jerry H.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Jerry, Welcome to Oldgas. You might get a better response if you post your questions in the General Petroliana Discussion forum. Best of luck with your project.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Welcome, I have found never to hurry! I will spray whatever you find best, rust-buster, wd40 etc. when I go into shop and leave it. I will do this for 3-4 weeks spraying every day. The bigger and tougher items might need heat. Patience is the key. Great find on 600, I've been trying to find one of those.

Joe

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Old Gas!
I would probably just leave it intact and original and do the restoration around it because sometimes they just crack and break for no reason much less if trying to remove the cly from the cement and metal ring. Plus, paint comes off glass easily with a razor blade. If it were me, I'd make sure I had access to buying another correct size cly before I tried but that's pretty expensive. Good luck if you do go for it!

Last edited by Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave; Fri Jul 23 2021 07:26 PM.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
J
Jerry H Offline OP
OP Offline
J
After months of being patient and using wd40 and or brake fluid as others had mentioned, I went out to work on it a little this winter and the glass was broken about 1/2" up from the bottom all the way around. The glass is now removed from the base but I still can't seem to get this part of it apart. Somewhere I thought I had seen a video or someone talking about the same issue with the glass and they were able to have some glass shop cut it down. If that is possible it might work for someone on another pump that will take a shorter cylinder. I will just use a repro cylinder I guess. I am hoping someone might have a good picture of the handle that is on the front of a Tokhiem 600 as mine is missing or know of someone who might have one.The bar with the gears that is supposed to slide up and down is froze up and I am not sure how to get these parts so they will operate. Any info will help. Thanks JerryH.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Good evening:
The glass may have frozen at the bottom causing this breakage so close to the bottom and all the way around. Do not throw away the glass as you might in your area find a person who does glass cutting on cylinders or medical items. By cutting the cylinder end off that is broken you still have 26 inches left of this cylinder. They are 12 x 27 for this pump I believe. My first pump found in the wild was a series pump of this nature with the glass the same way. I used laquer thinner everyday and a dental tool to pick this out. With the cylinder being already broken the only thing to worry about getting it out is do not breath this putty as it has lots of asbestos in it. You can take this apart as far as you can using heat _torch heating up the nuts and then taking apart. at worst take apart as much as you can and have the pump less the sheet metal sandblasted. After that if there is still things stuck, go the WD 40 route over and over little movement at a time. The tubes that go up and down seem complicated but just need a helping hand. Take plenty of pictures BEFORE you start to help remember.

Craig
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Here’s a 600 handle:

[Linked Image]

J
Jerry H Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi Husky Bob, The handle I am looking for is the one on the front that I believe is the pump handle locking handle? It sticks up out of the box on the front of the pump and I think the top of the handle has a ball type knob on it. It may be made of cast aluminum or maybe not. If someone has one they might sell I would be interested, or even if they just have one on a pump, some good pictures would help so I would know what to look for or try to make one. Thanks, Jerry H.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Try searching a few posts down in this General discussion on Tokheim 660 by Model72. He posted some pics of what I think your talking about.

Jerry H #775119 Tue Feb 15 2022 05:13 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Dump valve handle

20220201_215922.jpg
panhandlejack #775127 Tue Feb 15 2022 08:33 PM
J
Jerry H Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes I think it is similar to this however from the illustrations I have seen it appears to be a little longer than this one. But i am not sure.

Jerry H #775187 Thu Feb 17 2022 10:33 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
He is looking for the handle that operated the gallon selector inside the controller box. When the controller box lid is closed, the handle extends out of a slot at the 12 noon position.

model72 #775373 Wed Feb 23 2022 05:43 PM
J
Jerry H Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes that's the one I am looking for

Jerry H #775422 Fri Feb 25 2022 07:20 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I searched for an hour looking for a good photo of the handle, but could not. There is a good photo on the internet of an orange handle.

model72 #775426 Fri Feb 25 2022 09:15 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I found the handle again by accident.

Screenshot_20220225-211309_Facebook.jpg
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved