Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
I'm a new member who's trying some light restoration of a Bennett 646 (to convert it to a an electric car charger).

One thing I wanted to do was restore the sight glass "must be full" tag to readability. Looking around online, I found places that suggested it was polished aluminum, so that seemed easy enough. I decided to use some steel wool with the intent of polishing it up then repainting the black background.

But I quickly found that the polishing was removing the silver aluminum color -- in fact, it looks like brass underneath. Here's a picture; the "A" in "GLASS" is obviously where I started doing this.

Any suggestions about the silver color? Was the original made of brass that was aluminum coated and now easily flakes off, or something like that? I guess I don't care too much if it's brass colored on a black background when I'm done, but I'm curious, and all things being equal I would like to keep it looking as it originally did. Thanks!

IMG_0299.jpeg
Bennett 600 sight tag

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
These are available in reproduction from vendors listed on our "Parts" page.

https://www.vics66.com/store/gas-pu...0-700-1941-1951/m.products/275/view/6134

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Oldgas
These are available in reproduction from vendors listed on our "Parts" page.

Thanks! Yep, I was considering just buying reproductions, but if possible I'd like to restore the existing one. If anyone has tips, or knows why the original appearance was shiny silver when it appears to be brass underneath, I'd much appreciate any pointers!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds like it is chrome plated & you have polished thru the chrome into the copper underneath

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by cggas
Sounds like it is chrome plated & you have polished thru the chrome into the copper underneath

Yeah, I think you're right. Further examination by scraping it with a dental tool suggests that most of the chrome plating is already gone, under the black areas. So I guess I'll polish it back to brass and then see if I want to get it plated. Thanks!

R
OP Offline
R
Just wanted to add a followup to this in case anyone else finds themself in a similar situation. It turned out that much of the plating was already rubbed off, so I gently polished it down to the original brass, then repainted the background in black. It looks pretty good.

Re-plating it, or perhaps just painting the gold letters with silver chrome-like paint, would perhaps be a little more authentic, but I'm happy with this.

IMG_0335 2.jpeg
Last edited by Robert Mathews; Sun Feb 27 2022 12:27 PM.
B
B
That looks pretty darn good! I'm at the same point on couple 766's. Curious how you were able to "paint" the black lettering?

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved