Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#7914 Sun Sep 21 2008 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This could be subtitled "JARVISIZED". I bought this on eBay and explained how to ship it...remove lenses, double box it, etc. Unfortunately they shipped it with the lenses installed. I'm waiting to see if Fed Ex will cover this.....

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#7915 Mon Sep 22 2008 03:39 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
OH NO....one of my favorite globes too. I hope FedX doesn't use the old UPS excuse, "wasn't packed properly". Have you got Collector's Insurance Agency coverage, just in case? I know they cover "transportation damage" also. Of course I will be updated you guys on THEIR "new" service as time progresses. Best of luck. I KNOW how you feel. Keep us updated on Fedx's service.

#7916 Mon Sep 22 2008 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have been told by Fedex many times that they do not cover collectible glass. I think PS does the same.

Let us know what you find out.

------------------
Scott Wright-
http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerine.htm

Scott Wright
#7917 Mon Sep 22 2008 02:30 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Good luck with Fed Ex. Mine got the same results BROKE & they wanted the impossible for the claim.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#7918 Mon Sep 22 2008 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's terrible. I'm sorry to see a rare lens like that destroyed by someone's ignorance. It survived all those decades only to fall victim to a common moron.

In my opinion, a claim should not be filed. This is no fault of FedEx. The seller, who was incapable of following simple directions, is fully responsible and should compensate you immediately.

I sure hope it works out for you.

Best of luck,
Wes

#7919 Mon Sep 22 2008 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have received FLAT glass that was double boxed & broken.
Last can machine I received was placed in too big of box w/ a couple sheets of bubble wrap thrown in ! Milk jugs would have been better space filler IF they were taped together w/ machine. Was like shipping a basketball in a mini van.
Most sellers could learn A LOT from 5quart Don !

------------------
** NEED A LID ? **
FREE MINOR DENT REMOVAL, I re-lid
4oz.[2 1/8"dia.], 1 qt., Imp. qt, 6 5/8" dia.Gallon & 5qt Re-lidding. I have 1qt S.A.E. 20, S.A.E. 40W, Plain or bank lids. No S.A.E.'s on 1gal. & 5qt.

#7920 Wed Oct 29 2008 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
On October 14th I received a message from the people I bought the globe from that Fed Ex was sending out a check for the globe. (globe plus shipping) They informed me that once they received the check and it cleared their bank they would then send it on to me. 10 days went by and I didn't hear any more so I emailed them and didn't get a reply. I called Fed Ex and found out they sent the check out on the 14th. Yesterday I emailed the seller again with a more demanding tone and received the following response......"Hi Scott,
Sorry, we've all been sick and I didn't get a chance to get on the computer. We rec'd the check Tues. I deposited it yesterday and now I'm just waiting for it to clear (sorry, I don't have $697.30 to send out, we are between paychecks, so I need to wait for the check to clear). Do you have the globe or does Fedex have it? If you have the globe, I would pay you to ship it back to me. Thanks again, Ken"
I was pretty surprised to see that they want the globe back. I was planning on buying a single lense with the insurance money to make a complete globe like I bought in the first place. I know that legally I don't have to return it but how about morally ? (this is probably going to open up a can of worms) LOL I was just wondering what you think of this.

#7921 Thu Oct 30 2008 12:03 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sad too see, morally, perhaps it is a tricky one, but should they be able to replace the lense and benefit from reselling it when it was their lack of packing that may have caused this? I think not, but that is just my opinion...

CHEERS, FROM RIK IN NEW ZEALAND
#7922 Thu Oct 30 2008 12:08 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Legally that lens I "believe" belongs to FedEx or the Insurance Company. The seller is way out line for even asking you to return it to them.

Morally, I would say that is yours to keep, compensation for your troubles if FedEx and the Insurance Co. don't want it back. I'm really surprised that they didn't pick it up for inspection of the claim.

Tell the seller you need to receive the check/money first to even consider returning it. Then tell them NO.....

[This message has been edited by blackteetexacogold (edited 10-30-2008).]

#7923 Thu Oct 30 2008 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would ask to keep it for the trouble and since they didn't pack it very good. If Fed-Ex didn't pay and they don't have the money how was you going to get re-paid? I would pack it up like they packed it and send it back if they demand it back. LOL

I would say all 95% of the ones that have gotten broken was in shipping and most of it was poor packaging even after i told them how to pack it.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#7924 Thu Oct 30 2008 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The body belongs to you, unless FedEx asks for it.
The only way the body could belong to the seller is if he self insured it.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#7925 Thu Oct 30 2008 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will get money in hand before i did any talking about the broken lens. Cross one bridge at a time.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#7926 Thu Oct 30 2008 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I'm definitely going to wait for the check to arrive AND wait for it to clear my bank before I give them an answer about shipping the globe back. Thanks to all who replied.

#7927 Thu Oct 30 2008 09:37 AM
S
S
The seller has been paid for the globe,
end of story. The globe belongs to Fed- Ex.
If they choose not to want it back it's yours.
That being said, I would wait till you
receive payment before telling the seller.

Sully..........

#7928 Thu Oct 30 2008 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott: First...sorry to see the loss of a nice lens. I just sent a globe to Mick and the lenses were left on, but it was well packed and arrived in one piece. The reason I left the lenses on, is I couldn't get them to come loose...but that is not the point I wanted to make.
In terms of ownership, the globe belongs to Fed Ex. They just paid for it by reimbursing for the damage. Assuming Fed Ex doesn't want it (i.e. they abandoned all rights) then my opinion would be you and the former owner own equal shares. By you keeping it alone you are ahead as you have the globe and whatever value it is at no financial cost to you. Some might argue you should keep it for "pain and suffering." While I understand that feeling, you were compensated and made whole by Fed Ex. You are no worse off than before you bought the globe. You had x amount of money before and no globe and you now have x amount of money and no globe. I think the thing to do would be to figure a value of the remains and either offer to buy their half or for them to buy your half. Just my two-cents. Sorry again to see such a nice lens lost.

Alex

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved