Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#7914 Sun Sep 21 2008 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This could be subtitled "JARVISIZED". I bought this on eBay and explained how to ship it...remove lenses, double box it, etc. Unfortunately they shipped it with the lenses installed. I'm waiting to see if Fed Ex will cover this.....

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#7915 Mon Sep 22 2008 03:39 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
OH NO....one of my favorite globes too. I hope FedX doesn't use the old UPS excuse, "wasn't packed properly". Have you got Collector's Insurance Agency coverage, just in case? I know they cover "transportation damage" also. Of course I will be updated you guys on THEIR "new" service as time progresses. Best of luck. I KNOW how you feel. Keep us updated on Fedx's service.

#7916 Mon Sep 22 2008 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have been told by Fedex many times that they do not cover collectible glass. I think PS does the same.

Let us know what you find out.

------------------
Scott Wright-
http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerine.htm

Scott Wright
#7917 Mon Sep 22 2008 02:30 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Good luck with Fed Ex. Mine got the same results BROKE & they wanted the impossible for the claim.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#7918 Mon Sep 22 2008 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's terrible. I'm sorry to see a rare lens like that destroyed by someone's ignorance. It survived all those decades only to fall victim to a common moron.

In my opinion, a claim should not be filed. This is no fault of FedEx. The seller, who was incapable of following simple directions, is fully responsible and should compensate you immediately.

I sure hope it works out for you.

Best of luck,
Wes

#7919 Mon Sep 22 2008 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have received FLAT glass that was double boxed & broken.
Last can machine I received was placed in too big of box w/ a couple sheets of bubble wrap thrown in ! Milk jugs would have been better space filler IF they were taped together w/ machine. Was like shipping a basketball in a mini van.
Most sellers could learn A LOT from 5quart Don !

------------------
** NEED A LID ? **
FREE MINOR DENT REMOVAL, I re-lid
4oz.[2 1/8"dia.], 1 qt., Imp. qt, 6 5/8" dia.Gallon & 5qt Re-lidding. I have 1qt S.A.E. 20, S.A.E. 40W, Plain or bank lids. No S.A.E.'s on 1gal. & 5qt.

#7920 Wed Oct 29 2008 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
On October 14th I received a message from the people I bought the globe from that Fed Ex was sending out a check for the globe. (globe plus shipping) They informed me that once they received the check and it cleared their bank they would then send it on to me. 10 days went by and I didn't hear any more so I emailed them and didn't get a reply. I called Fed Ex and found out they sent the check out on the 14th. Yesterday I emailed the seller again with a more demanding tone and received the following response......"Hi Scott,
Sorry, we've all been sick and I didn't get a chance to get on the computer. We rec'd the check Tues. I deposited it yesterday and now I'm just waiting for it to clear (sorry, I don't have $697.30 to send out, we are between paychecks, so I need to wait for the check to clear). Do you have the globe or does Fedex have it? If you have the globe, I would pay you to ship it back to me. Thanks again, Ken"
I was pretty surprised to see that they want the globe back. I was planning on buying a single lense with the insurance money to make a complete globe like I bought in the first place. I know that legally I don't have to return it but how about morally ? (this is probably going to open up a can of worms) LOL I was just wondering what you think of this.

#7921 Thu Oct 30 2008 12:03 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sad too see, morally, perhaps it is a tricky one, but should they be able to replace the lense and benefit from reselling it when it was their lack of packing that may have caused this? I think not, but that is just my opinion...

CHEERS, FROM RIK IN NEW ZEALAND
#7922 Thu Oct 30 2008 12:08 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Legally that lens I "believe" belongs to FedEx or the Insurance Company. The seller is way out line for even asking you to return it to them.

Morally, I would say that is yours to keep, compensation for your troubles if FedEx and the Insurance Co. don't want it back. I'm really surprised that they didn't pick it up for inspection of the claim.

Tell the seller you need to receive the check/money first to even consider returning it. Then tell them NO.....

[This message has been edited by blackteetexacogold (edited 10-30-2008).]

#7923 Thu Oct 30 2008 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would ask to keep it for the trouble and since they didn't pack it very good. If Fed-Ex didn't pay and they don't have the money how was you going to get re-paid? I would pack it up like they packed it and send it back if they demand it back. LOL

I would say all 95% of the ones that have gotten broken was in shipping and most of it was poor packaging even after i told them how to pack it.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#7924 Thu Oct 30 2008 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The body belongs to you, unless FedEx asks for it.
The only way the body could belong to the seller is if he self insured it.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#7925 Thu Oct 30 2008 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will get money in hand before i did any talking about the broken lens. Cross one bridge at a time.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#7926 Thu Oct 30 2008 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I'm definitely going to wait for the check to arrive AND wait for it to clear my bank before I give them an answer about shipping the globe back. Thanks to all who replied.

#7927 Thu Oct 30 2008 09:37 AM
S
S
The seller has been paid for the globe,
end of story. The globe belongs to Fed- Ex.
If they choose not to want it back it's yours.
That being said, I would wait till you
receive payment before telling the seller.

Sully..........

#7928 Thu Oct 30 2008 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott: First...sorry to see the loss of a nice lens. I just sent a globe to Mick and the lenses were left on, but it was well packed and arrived in one piece. The reason I left the lenses on, is I couldn't get them to come loose...but that is not the point I wanted to make.
In terms of ownership, the globe belongs to Fed Ex. They just paid for it by reimbursing for the damage. Assuming Fed Ex doesn't want it (i.e. they abandoned all rights) then my opinion would be you and the former owner own equal shares. By you keeping it alone you are ahead as you have the globe and whatever value it is at no financial cost to you. Some might argue you should keep it for "pain and suffering." While I understand that feeling, you were compensated and made whole by Fed Ex. You are no worse off than before you bought the globe. You had x amount of money before and no globe and you now have x amount of money and no globe. I think the thing to do would be to figure a value of the remains and either offer to buy their half or for them to buy your half. Just my two-cents. Sorry again to see such a nice lens lost.

Alex

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
#7929 Thu Oct 30 2008 04:55 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I disagree Alex, the honeymoon is over.

#7930 Thu Oct 30 2008 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Until Scott is reimbursed, the seller has been paid twice for the globe.

#7931 Fri Oct 31 2008 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with you Dick that Scott has not been reimbursed as of yet. I was just trying to answer the "ethical" side of the equation.

As far as Black T....I am going to have to have a road trip to straigthen him out. LOL

Anybody else have a thought?? Scott?? you have seen the posts...what do you think??

Alex
#7932 Fri Oct 31 2008 09:13 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I would say that once it was put in the mail...Scott owned the globe. What happened to it in shipping was his and or Fedex's problem. HE paid for shipping and insurance I assume.
I don't understand how Fedex never contacted him to inspect the damage...I am wondering if the seller is yanking his chain on getting the claim paid for it. I am told Fedex insurance rules are they don't cover glass?
Anyway...now that the seller can come out a little ahead...ownership reverts back to him??? Scott is supposed to go through the trouble of repacking it and sending it back to the person who screwed up to begin with ....causing the breakage? Seller is just going to sell it and come out even further ahead for his screw-up!
If it gets broke again...Scott collects this time?
Ethical to me would be....when Scott gets the money....tell the fool who packed it badly to go jump in the lake!
Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
#7933 Fri Oct 31 2008 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
A similar scenario happened to me last year,although the item was a vintage dealership sign light made out of plastic that had cracked & fractured during shipping.
The seller clearly did not package it correctly.He made a very dureable heavy wooden box as compared to cardboard,but he skimped on the padding and reinforcement which allowed the sign to bang around the box like a pinball and cracking it all up.
I could hear the pieces rolling around when the UPS man delivered it,you should've seen the look on his face as he put it into my hands.I know him well and know he had nothing to do with it all,but was sorrowful.
I immedieatly photographed it and sent the pics to the seller.He said he would file a claim with UPS..I was stunned.I felt UPS had nothing to do with it,as a 5 year old kid could've packed this better.I told him he should take responsibilty for it.He should refund me the price & I would send him the item back.He disagreed and said that's why he always uses UPS as they stand behind there insurance.
From his tone I can see he isn't going to own up and refund me my money at all,so I did as he asked,waiting for UPS to scold him on it,and then me hiring a lawyer or getting on airplane to sort this out.
The pictures I sent clearly showed shoddy inaccurate packaging and I was sure UPS would see that and deny the claim,seeing the 3 inches of unpadded reinforced areas all around,and top & bottom too of the light,making him solely responsible,which is what I wanted him to hear.
UPS called me during this to get my address and confirm the situation as well as more pictures I had..They relayed an ongoing claim # too.I asked if a payment is paid,can it be mailed directly to me?
They said ,"No..they have to send it to the person or origin of the insured item.
2 months go by & it turns out UPS did indeed agree with him & refunded him the price I paid him and he was to forward it on to me,the buyer..Only I did not learn this through him.I became impatient & called UPS months later and told them the privy info of names and addresses and asked for status on the claim,if any.
They came back & said that check was sent and cashed to the seller awhile ago...Are you kidding me?
Someone hold me down.....I'm not a violent person at all,but this set me off in that UPS okayed the claim,AND of course that he kept it.
I called the seller and start giving him the facts details and dates and the check # UPS gave him.He was silent..I told him I wanted to see that amount UPS sent him,for 1K..in my mailbox by the end of the week,or I was going to board an airplane and see him in person at work or home.(I did have his work & home adress becuase of all this anyway)
He said he cashed it & that he had spent it already.
I asked,when will you have the funds in hand?
He asked for me to please give him two weeks.
I said I want to see 1K in my hand at the end of 3 weeks from today.
He agreed.
I did see the check as he promised,with never any apology nor an explanation.
After I cashed the check and it clears,he calls me up to ask if I would send him his broken sign back..
I ask him to explain..
He says because legally it is his and he had claim to it..
I said no,UPS has claim to it and Julie at UPS told me to keep it as they had written it off.They don't want it and it is of no value to them...
He then argued that is why he has claim to it,by default..
I told him I will mail it back to him when he sent me an empty box that can withstand the trip back...
Pure silence on his end..
I was in complete astonishment of his attitude.I never heard from him again,I got the 1K back,and the sign is still here all broken and unseable,displayable.Even other collectors don't want it and there is nothing salvageable on it,but I am holding onto it for hope that science will develop a resin glue that will aid in repairing it and not be so sloppy or viseable either with or without the light on.It is as thin and as brittle as an eggshell,so my fingers are crossed.
Send it back to him???...C'mon.

[This message has been edited by coldpizza (edited 10-31-2008).]

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
#7934 Fri Oct 31 2008 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
alex,i'll join you!!lol

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#7935 Fri Oct 31 2008 12:57 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Alex, bring some Texaco along with Mick.

Havoline's okay too !

#7936 Fri Oct 31 2008 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's pretty simple, Fed Ex did not want it, So basically it was like it was thrown out on the street for anyone to grab, Fed-ex paid the claim so everybody got their money, Seller and Buyer. It belonged to Fed-ex and they basiclly threw it out. Who ever has it now has total right to it.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
#7937 Fri Oct 31 2008 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
rick,you just said it all!imho

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#7938 Fri Oct 31 2008 08:58 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Tell the seller to contact fedex, and ask for it back..lol..

after you get paid...

#7939 Fri Oct 31 2008 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for all the replies. Mr.Wadhams reply pretty well sums up my feelings on the matter. Ultimately, after I receive the check, I would like to buy a single lens to restore the globe to what I bought in the first place. After reading the story from coldpizza I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to see the check! I've contacted Fed Ex twice about this claim. At the start of the claim I asked them if they wanted to see the globe or packing materials. They said no but hang on to everything in case they needed to see them to process the claim. I called a few days ago to see if they did indeed send out the check. Which they did about 2 weeks ago. I'm guessing that means the claim is closed as far as they are concerned. Any one have a single lens for sale ?

#7940 Fri Oct 31 2008 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most ebay sellers Require that the Buyer must pay for Insurance & the seller does a crappy packing. Item gets damaged/lost in shipping, so seller files the claim & gets paid by carrier ! Seller should not be paid by carrier, claim should be paid to Buyer [buyer paid the Insurance Fee] & has the broken item.
SOMETHING IS WRONG IN THE INSURANCE CLAIM SYSTEM

#7941 Sat Nov 01 2008 03:43 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Make the claim yourself.

I've had three damaged items over the years. USPS,UPS, and FEDEX

File the claim yourself...

#7942 Sun Nov 02 2008 06:53 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sounds like some of you have had better results dealing with UPS and Fed Ex. Every time I received something damaged from them they will not deal with me at all, meaning that all they will acknowledge is there is a claim only after I provided a tracking number. They claim their contract is with the person who bought the insurance, in my cases that is the seller.

If that's true I would think that its not "mine" until it arrives in my hands safely. I believe this is where the seller and buyers problems begin, both think its the responsibility of the other to take the loss. Can anyone give more info on this?

What is the policy now for shipping glass, is it covered or not, assuming its adequately packed?

I've resided to collectors insurance and am now getting signatures on everything.

Kim

------------------

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
#7943 Sun Nov 02 2008 07:56 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Kim

My wife is in the Human Resouces field so she knows how to communicate well with others on the phone.

She simply states that she has a reciept, tracking # etc...(sent from the seller). She states that I was the one who paid for the insurance not the seller. We take lots of photos showing the damage and put them through emails....

I believe it's all a communication thing, but feel you have to be persistent most of all.

I've always gotten my money back. Regardless of the shipper and me being the buyer.

Doug

[This message has been edited by blackteetexacogold (edited 11-02-2008).]

#7944 Sun Nov 02 2008 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey, Black T, I work in HR too...small world.

In my dealings with Fed Ex and USPS, the person who bought the insurance from the shippng agent is the one who had to make the claim and received the money. Not the buyer, even though they paid the seller for the insurance, they aren't the ones who contracted with the shipper (Fed Ex, etc). As a buyer you are still at the mercy of the seller. Hope this all works out.

Alex
#7945 Sun Nov 02 2008 02:09 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Alex

I'm just telling you the way it was... Have you ever asked for the paper work from the seller and actually tried it ? USPS kept the sign. UPS didn't even visually look at the damage and let me keep it. FedEx took and returned the sign.

Took a lot of calls, but it was done.

#7946 Sun Nov 02 2008 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Doug: I do remember once when the seller sent me the paperwork for the USPs and I had to do the work. I know it can be a pain. Take care.

Alex
#7947 Thu Nov 06 2008 08:27 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
i know this is a older posting FEDEX does not cover glass at all nor do they cover anything considered an antique. sorry for your loss the seller is lying to you to drag out the fact that you cannot leave them feedback but the fact is I worked for fedex for years they do not care who you are what it is if that seller told you they got money from fedex for this claim they lied first fedex would have picked your package up they send it to TN for inspection and after it automatically gets sent back to whoever sent it to you so be careful with what they claim is happening.
TJ

[This message has been edited by tjccafferty (edited 11-06-2008).]

tjccafferty@yahoo.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved