The Standard Oil Company was found to be in violation of antitrust laws in
A conspiracy was alleged to have been formed in or about the year 1870 by three individuals, John D. Rockefeller, William Rockefeller, and Henry M. Flagler. They created a monopoly, which was in violation of antitrust laws.
In 1872, the company had acquired substantially all but three or four of the thirty-five or forty oil refineries located in Cleveland, Ohio. Hence they controlled the price and distribution of product and squeezed out all other companies.
The result of the ruling by the court in 1911,was that Several “Baby” Standard Oil Companies were created separate and independent of each other. Since there was already a Standard oil of Kentucky, it was simple to turn it into an independent company.
Most people aren’t aware that The Standard Oil Company of Kentucky was originally formed in 1886, its home office was in Louisville, Kentucky. A program was begun to establish agencies and build bulk distributing plants in each county of the southern states it served. Principal products were kerosene, axle-grease, stove oil and lubricants.
Standard Oil of Kentucky (KYSO) started out in 1911 on their own as a separate and independent Oil Company. They were classified as an independent oil company because they had no oil refineries or exploration. Thus began the relationship with Standard of New Jersey(ESSO), who sold them their Crown Gasoline along with Esso and Mobiloil lubricants.
KYSO products were marketed in 5 states, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky and Mississippi.
Their “Down Home” approach and the rapidly increasing economy of the south helped KYSO to quickly progress from the image of a small town, jobber-oriented marketer to that of a major oil company.
In 1961 KYSO was bought by Standard Oil of California (Chevron) and the KYSO trademark was phased out. This purchase was the scoop of the century.
PLEASE POST ANY PHOTOGRAPHS OR INFORMATION THAT YOU HAVE ON KYSO. IF YOU CAN’T POST PHOTOS SEND THEM TO DOC, REX OR ANY MODERATOR.
Lets look at the signs that KYSO used from the beginning to the time that they were bought out by Chevron.
In the beginning KYSO used painted wooden signs. The first porcelain sign (flange) that we know of was first used in 1911-1919. This is the finest example of that sign that I have ever seen. It was found in a burned down garage.
Below is one of the first retail stations located in a “hole in the wall” in Waycross, GA. In 1915. You can barely see the crown flange next to the left window. Equally important, notice the filling station sign above the door. This is another early sign used by KYSO. The car at the curb is said to be a 1910 EMF.
The first "filling station" built by KYSO in 1917, was located at the corner of Third and York Streets in Louisville, Kentucky. This was the forerunner of the modern service station.
This Crown Gasoline Flange sign was the second porcelain sign that KYSO displayed and became one of the most used signs of the period. (1919-1928). The only major change from the first sign was that the "KYSO" became "Standard Oil Company."
[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-01-2005).]