Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K

The Standard Oil Company was found to be in violation of antitrust laws in
A conspiracy was alleged to have been formed in or about the year 1870 by three individuals, John D. Rockefeller, William Rockefeller, and Henry M. Flagler. They created a monopoly, which was in violation of antitrust laws.
EXAMPLE:
In 1872, the company had acquired substantially all but three or four of the thirty-five or forty oil refineries located in Cleveland, Ohio. Hence they controlled the price and distribution of product and squeezed out all other companies.
The result of the ruling by the court in 1911,was that Several “Baby” Standard Oil Companies were created separate and independent of each other. Since there was already a Standard oil of Kentucky, it was simple to turn it into an independent company.

Most people aren’t aware that The Standard Oil Company of Kentucky was originally formed in 1886, its home office was in Louisville, Kentucky. A program was begun to establish agencies and build bulk distributing plants in each county of the southern states it served. Principal products were kerosene, axle-grease, stove oil and lubricants.

Standard Oil of Kentucky (KYSO) started out in 1911 on their own as a separate and independent Oil Company. They were classified as an independent oil company because they had no oil refineries or exploration. Thus began the relationship with Standard of New Jersey(ESSO), who sold them their Crown Gasoline along with Esso and Mobiloil lubricants.

KYSO products were marketed in 5 states, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky and Mississippi.
Their “Down Home” approach and the rapidly increasing economy of the south helped KYSO to quickly progress from the image of a small town, jobber-oriented marketer to that of a major oil company.

In 1961 KYSO was bought by Standard Oil of California (Chevron) and the KYSO trademark was phased out. This purchase was the scoop of the century.

PLEASE POST ANY PHOTOGRAPHS OR INFORMATION THAT YOU HAVE ON KYSO. IF YOU CAN’T POST PHOTOS SEND THEM TO DOC, REX OR ANY MODERATOR.

Lets look at the signs that KYSO used from the beginning to the time that they were bought out by Chevron.

In the beginning KYSO used painted wooden signs. The first porcelain sign (flange) that we know of was first used in 1911-1919. This is the finest example of that sign that I have ever seen. It was found in a burned down garage.

Below is one of the first retail stations located in a “hole in the wall” in Waycross, GA. In 1915. You can barely see the crown flange next to the left window. Equally important, notice the filling station sign above the door. This is another early sign used by KYSO. The car at the curb is said to be a 1910 EMF.

The first "filling station" built by KYSO in 1917, was located at the corner of Third and York Streets in Louisville, Kentucky. This was the forerunner of the modern service station.

This Crown Gasoline Flange sign was the second porcelain sign that KYSO displayed and became one of the most used signs of the period. (1919-1928). The only major change from the first sign was that the "KYSO" became "Standard Oil Company."

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-01-2005).]

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
As KYSO built more service stations, they found that the flange sign didn't give them the roadside exposure that they wanted. So the following are dealer signs that they used that could be displayed closer to the street and up in the air. These signs were used from 1928 to 1945.

This photo dates back to 1940. Notice the Art Deco type sign. Standard experimented with different types of signs. They were a very conservative company. This type of sign was short lived. Note the Atlas tire sign and display. In 1930, the baby standards formed the Atlas corporation that supplied all of the TBA to all of the Standards. Sounds like a good deal for the newly formed Standards.

Standard Oil Products sign.

This sign reads "Standard Oil Dealer". It came from a country store in Owenton, KY. The store burned down and my father-in-law saved it for me.

This sign reads "Standard Oil Products" in yellow. If anyone knows the significance of the color change, please let us know.

This sign reads "Standard Oil Products" also. It is the only one that I have seen that is red and white. It was found in a KYSO station in Summerset, Kentucky. If anyone knows the significance of the color, please let us know.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
LETS LOOK AT SOME MORE KYSO DEALER SIGNS...
THIS IS A GREAT SIGN TO BAD ITS AN ARTIST RENDERING FROM 1939...

I WOULD LOVE TO FIND THIS SIGN LOOKS GREAT WITH THE CROWN GASOLINE GLOBE IN THE BACK GROUND 1920's.

HERE IS A SCAN OF 4 SIGNS....NEAT FILLING STATION SIGN.

THIS STANDARD OIL DEALER SIGN WAS USED FROM 1945-1949.THIS DSP EMBOSSED SIGN IS CALLED BAR AND HALF CIRCLE OR TEAR DROP.

REX LIKES KYSO

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
just super rex...... super....... cheese

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Lookin great Rex, Let it roll!

P
P
Great stuff Rex!! Just one question, though.......if it was SOCONY, then why wasn't it SOCKY, instead of KYSO?? Probably had something to do with WWII and eating raw fish...........

Richard

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Richard were a little backwards here in cantuckey..."GET-IT" backwards.....LOL + sum peoples say we kant spel.........
REX LIEKS SOKY

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
For 50 years,(1911-1961) Standard Oil Of Kentucky (KYSO) grew at a rapid pace. As the interstate system grew, major oil companies recognized what a great opportunity they had and scrambled to get sites on the interstate exits.
Standard oil Of California (Chevron), having the refining capicity and the desire to expand nation-wide, stepped up to the plate and purchased KYSO right from under Standard Oil of New Jersey, Esso's nose.
Chevron gradually started changing the image of the KYSO stations, being careful not to lose any of the valued KYSO customers.

The pictures below show the transition of the teardrop/bar and half circle sign from blue to white. Notice the color change but not the name. What Chevron is saying here is "Look Mr. Customer, something is going on but we are still the same good old Standard Oil Company". All changes were done gradually. The Logo's were changed on all maps, credit cards, touring service. With the objective being that in the end all of the above would read just CHEVRON.

This is a painted 4x8' metal sign.

Notice on this picture that the Standard Oil sign and the Chevron Hallmark are both on the station.

Many people don't know that Jay Leno was one of the first Standard Oil Dealers.

This is a picture of the Chevron Hallmark that has the word Standard on it. There are still stations today that have the wording "Standard" in order to protect the trademark.

This is a brief history of how KYSO got started and how they became a Chevron Company.
From here we will move on to all of the other good KYSO stuff. If you have any KYSo items or coments, please post.
REX LIKES KYSO

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job Rex. I have nothing to contribute but really enjoy this thread. Keep up the good work.

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED: Quart Picture Cans
Kansas City, Missouri 64152

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Hi Rex,

Great job!! I really love the oldest Kyso Crown flange sign! That's a beauty!!

Standard Oil of California built the Pascagoula, MS refinery after the Kyso merger. Standard had new production coming online in the Gulf of Mexico which had to find a market. This was a marriage made in heaven for both companies. I have a copy of the proxy document for the merger vote. Attached is the opening cover letter from R.G. Follis (CEO, Standard) recapping the merger agreement...

By the way, I work for Chevron in Houston.

Paul

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Thanks guys for all of the positive comments. Thanks Paul for posting the Proxy Document. How Interesting is that!! It tells it all doesn't it.
Any idea what the value of the shares would be today? I wonder how many shares each recipient would be holding if they had kept them all until today.
As a side note, Chevron Texaco Corp. has changed it's name to Chevron Corporation effective May 9, 2005.
REX LIKES KYSO

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Rex,

Since 1961, Standard/Chevron has had five 5% stock dividends and three 2 for 1 stock splits. One share of Standard Oil of California in 1961 would now be 10.16 shares of Chevron. But the real wealth builder is the constant reinvestment of the dividends. As you know, Chevron and other big oil companies pay good dividends.

Cheers!!

Paul

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome stuff..great Job REX. Very cool

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Chevron continued the transition of changing the KYSO image to the
Chevron image through the 1970s. Gradually phasing out the KYSO logos. One of their best marketing programs was "Come to Chevron Island". The point that they were making was KYSO has become the Chevron Island.
This pictures shows the plastic Chevron Island sign that they used. This plastic was very fragile and not ment to last. This sign is very hard to find in one piece.
It was left in the Standard Oil Warehouse/bulk plant that I purchased from Chevron in 1977. It was still in it's original box.

Here is a picture of the actual sign on a pump island. You can see why they didn't last long.

The Chevron Island promotion was advertised nationaly. I'll bet some of the older guys remember it. They had a tropical girl dressed in a hula skirt. She attended all of the regional dealer meetings. The 42" metal Chevron Island sign below was used during the promotion. Roy Reed has one in his Standard collection. Notice the Chevron Island license plates around the sign. They were given away at grand openings while this promotion was going on.

The next 4 signs were displayed on taxicabs.
Notice that both the KYSO and Chevron logos are on 3 of the 4 signs.

REX LIKES KYSO ISLAND

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job so far Rex. Let's see some globes!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guess I don't understand the "YOUNG HO, GO CHEVRON" part... I mean, how blatant could they be, and showing that floosie on there too...

Wes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Really neat stuff, Rex. I've never seen any of those old KYSO signs before, or that shape of Standard sign, either.

Actually never knew too much about the beginnings of Chevron either. I'm young... All I remember is that they took over the Gulf stations in my town when I was in middle school.

Wes

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Thanks Wes I was young when that Floosie blond sign was used......Still young at heart.
This is my favorite globe it was used by KYSO in the teens thru the 1920's.Its a one piece etched (OPE) globe with a 7" base, that has been repainted.Its the first globe KYSO used,other that a photograph that shows this same globe as a chimney top.
There are only 3 known as of now.

REX LIKES KYSO

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
HA!! You guys have to keep in mind the time frame these signs were made. This was long before Eddie Murphy popularized the "Ho".

Here's a photo of my old Chevron office in California. I used to enjoy pointing out my "Ho".

Cheers!!

Paul

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rex, super job. I really appreciate all the information and coments on these topics. You have done a great job on Kyso. Love those pictures. Maybe one day you can round up one of those chimney topped one-piece globes. Are there any known out there right now? Buy the way, you don't have any Refiners stuff for sale do you? Maybe you could bring it to Columbus! LOL

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Thanks for the positive comment Roger. In 1930, SOHIO purchased Refiners Oil company and sold their stations in So.Indiana and Kentucky to KYSO.
So I'll be keeping this globe but the next one that I come across is yours.

Refiner's signs are often found in old KYSO bulk plants.

I have been trying to put together a complete collection of KYSO globes over the last 15 years. So far, I have every globe that they ever used. Not in all of the different sizes though. This CROWN Gasoline globe was used from 1920 to 1933.
I have seen several different versions of this globe with minor differences. Such as: the pearls around the the top of the crown in various degrees of blue. Some of the lenses appear to have been hand painted or touched up by brush. This was probably done by the lens maker.

There are differences between the Standard Crowns. All KYSO crowns will simply read "Crown Gasoline" The other Standards will read "Red Crown Gasoline". KYSO was first to offer motorists in it's territory Anit-Knock Gasoline containing Tetraethyl Lead. This was done in 1924. Below is the globe that they used from 1924 to 1933. This is a beautiful globe. The sunburst lines coming out on the Ethyl can be found in either blue or yellow. This globe was very hard for me to find.

More globes Monday.
REX LIKES KYSO

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
This Crown Gasoline globe, often called the Standard Bowtie was used from 1933 to 1936. This is the only KYSO globe that has "KY" (Kentucky) on it. This globe is hard to find in this nice condition.

This three piece glass version of the Crown Gasoline Bowtie globe was used from 1933 to 1940.

The KYSO GREEN metal banded globe was used from 1930 to 1936. This was KYSO's motor grade of gasoline.

The KYSO metal banded globe was used from 1936 to 1940.

REX LIKES KYSO

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Lets take a look at Tony's Station circa 1930. I have refered to this photo several times to identify signs and globes that KYSO used during the 30's. Check out the three Wayne 60's.

The KYSO globe on the right end is a 3 piece glass wide-body used by KYSO from 1936 to 1940.The "KYSO" globe was Motor Grade Gasoline, but the ad glass on the pump reads "White".

Collecting KYSO is a real challenge. They didn't have many signs. As you can see, they used decals instead of pump plates. They sold ESSO and MOBIL's lubricants and they sold ATLAS TBA. There are very few items that read Standard Oil or KYSO.
So old photograps like Tony's Station give us an insight as to what signage and products were used.

I was able to find this Super Pyro sign just like the one shown on Tony's Station.

This is the same sign that is on the Esso Oil Rack that is next to Tony in the picture. Notice the price, 25 cents a quart.

Here is a picture of Tony's Ladies Restroom sign. The one that is up on the pole. The men's room was always out back.
The oil companies knew the advantage of having a clean ladies room.

Several old photographs show the KYSO gasoline price sign that is in the front of the picture. I have been unable to find this sign. Does anyone out there have one?
REX LIKES KYSO

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
AWESOME job Rex. Their used to me a mint all orange Refiners curb (like the orange cans) sign at an antique mall near me but it is no longer their.

------------------
Scott Shipers

Scott Shipers
J
J
Rex,

Using the road information sign in the background, have you ever been able to pinpoint the location of Tony's station??

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
somebody say kyso?

[img]http://hometown.aol.com/ethancarman/mypumps/kyso2[/img]

[img]http://hometown.aol.com/ethancarman/mypumps/kyso1[/img]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Thanks Scott....... Most of the Refiners signs I see are in average - condition.
Jeff, Hwy.#31 goes from Louisville to Tennessee.....My best guess is somewhere between Louisville and Bardstown,Kentucky.
Thanks for posting the signs CANS and Stuff.....They are from the Standard family.When you see quote marks on "standard" the sign is from Standard Oil of New Jersey.The Standard Service sign is from Standard Of Indiana.
REX WANTS MORE

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I hope the pic turns out it's been a little while since I last posted.
Joe

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us][IMG]http://img129.echo.cx/img129/8568/cimg0286small2ii
One more from the garage.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us][IMG]http://img129.echo.cx/img129/8541/cimg0286small0bx
Lets see if this works

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Not sure why this one won't work and the first one did?I did the same on both.

Online Cool
Here are some KYSO images from Brad Ralston -gasoildude:

Click on the thumbnails to get full size images

Thanks, Brad!

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 06-19-2005).]

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Look at the Standard Oil Dealer admiring his station. this is from the cover of the KYSO news dated 3-1-40. Let's take a closer look at the globes in the picture.

This 3 piece glass Crown was used from 1940 to 1961.

This Crown Capco was brought into use in 1956 and gradually phased out in the early 1960's.

This Crown Extra glass globe replaced the Crown Ethyl Globe in 1940.

This Crown Extra Capco globe was introduced in 1956 and used through the early 1960's.

More to come.
REX LIKES KYSO

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
This 3 piece glass Standard Globe was used from 1940 to 1961. This globe used to be an easy find. I haven't seen any for sale in quite a while.

A friend of mine was on vacation in Florida. He went to an auction of a retired KYSO employee. In the Chicken coop, they found 10 Standard lenses in two wooden crates. They were addressed to Standard Oil of Kentucky in Louisville. The Sender was Libby Owens Ford Glass Company. The roof of the Chicken coop was a crown gasoline sign that we will be looking at later. I could not believe how well they cleaned up.

This Crown Ethyl three piece glass globe shown in this ad was first used in 1933 and replaced by Crown Extra in 1940.

I have only seen one other Crown Ethyl globe. It is very hard to find.

This Crown Diesel Fuel 3 piece glass globe is the only one that I have ever seen. It' is a very rare globe.

More coming.
REX LIKES KYSO

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-20-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Standard Oil of Kentucky was the first to introduce a super-premium, 100-plus octane gasoline in its 5 state territory in 1956. It was called SUPER CROWN EXTRA. Look at the pictures of the two Super Crown Extra globes.
WILL THE REAL SUPER CROWN EXTRA PLEASE STAND UP!!

I worked, as a teenager, in Standard Oil of Kentucky stations. I later became a Standard Oil distributor in the Miami, Florida area. I had never seen a Super Crown Extra in green until we retired to Kentucky. I thought that the green one was a reproduction. Actually they both were used by KYSO.
Here is a picture of the Super Crown Extra in green on a pump.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
This Standard Aviation 3 piece glass globe was used from 1947 to the early 1960s. This is the only Standard Aviation Glass globe that I have seen. All the rest were Capco.
I have mentioned several times in this KYSO COTM report that "this is the only one that I have seen, or the only one known" If anyone out there knows different or has one, please post it.
This is a beautiful globe.

The major oil companies made a lot of money serving the major airports. Pan Am and Delta were two of KYSO's favorite customers.
Check out the KYSO ads on this 1959 Delta ticket jacket along with the post card of the Louisville, Kentucky KYSO hangar.

Here is a neat picture of a KYSO hangar and the two unbranded pumps. I sure would like to find a sign like the one on that hangar.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
The globe that we are going to look at now is not listed in the globe book under KYSO. It is listed under Standard Oil of Indiana. I have seen a few pictures showing that KYSO used this globe. Perhaps Indiana did also, but I would like that to be documented.
Here is KYSO's Marine Standard Gasoline Capco Globe.

This is a picture of a KYSO station in Silver Springs, Florida that is selling marine products dated 1958. Notice the Marine Globe in service.

This Standard Marine Globe on glass is a new discovery. It was found in West Palm Beach, Florida.

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-21-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
This Stnadard Diesel Fuel globe is not listed under KYSO in the globe book either. It can be found under Standard of Indiana. Perhaps Indiana used it but, again, I would like to see some documentation.
Here is the Standard Diesel Fuel globe in Capco.

This is a picture of the Standard Oil booth in Miami, Florida at the International Boat Show. Notice the pump on the right has both the Diesel Fuel and Marine globe on it.
It is hard to see but it's there.

This is the only Standard Diesel Fuel glass globe that I have seen.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
There have been serveral discussion between KYSO employees and collectors as to whether or not there was an Economy globe. As far as I am concerned, there was not. As the next picture will show, when the Economy brand replaced the Standard brand in 1962 there was no globe on the pump.

Thats about it for the globes. If you have any KYSO globes, please post them.
REX LIKES KYSO

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job on COTM Rex!
I don't have any documentation on the Diesel and Marine globes being used by Standard of Indiana, but they do turn up here in the midwest from time to time. Could it be they were used by both companies????

I saw another version of the Standard (Aviation) globe. It was very similar to yours but Standard was smaller with the wings at each end of it.

Thanks for sharing your hard to find globes!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Outstanding and informative presentation Rex. Thanks.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Lets look at some old KYSO stations and there pumps and signs.
From the 1940 KYSO NEWS The Evolution of filling stations as seen 65 years ago.

These KYSO stations are from the 1920's they sold one brand.... Crown Gasoline thats all there was.

Old wooden Crown Gasoline sign.

Look at the next picture... great pumps... G&B?..The 3 Crown globes and if you look close there are 2 porcelain Crown price signs on the station 26 cents.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
KYSO signs are very hard to come by. This porcelain Crown price sign is the same one that is on the above station.

Here is another porcelain price sign still selling the single grade of Crown gasoline.

The next two price signs are made of metal. They are hard to find in good condition. Notice that there are now two grades of gasoline.

Let's end with the economy price sign from the 1960's.

REX LIKES KYSO

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-22-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
HERE IS A VERY NICE MARINE STANDARD GASOLINE GLOBE ITS A 3 PIECE GLASS WIDE BODY WITH A 7" BASE THANKS TO KIM LOXTERCAMP FOR SHARING THIS BEAUTY.
NICE DISPLAY KIM.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
LETS LOOK AT A BUTTON BOX....WHAT??????

ACCORDING TO THE STORY THIS KYSO GREASE CAN (BUTTON BOX) PREDATES THE 1911 BREAKUP.I GOT LUCKY AND FOUND ONE FOR MY KYSO COLLECTION.

REX LIKES CANS

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
CHECK OUT THIS AD FROM THE 1939 KYSO NEWS...
WISH I HAD A FEW CASES OF THESE LIGHTER FLUID CANS AT 10 CENTS EACH.

SALES HAVE JUMPED SKY-HIGH AT 10 CENTS A CAN

HERE IS MINE PAID A LOT MORE THAN 10 CENTS FEEBAY FIND A FEW YEARS BACK THE BACK UP BIDDER OFFERED ME A CRISP 100 DOLLAR BILL PROFIT TO SELL IT TO HIM.ITS THE ONLY ONE I HAVE SEEN.

REX NEEDS MORE

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
THR KYSO HANDY OILER IS ANOTHER HARD TO FIND CAN AND EXPENSIVE.THE BEST ONE I HAVE WAS GIVEN TO ME BY THE LATE CHARLIE WHITWORTH "THE GULF GUY" HE COULD OF EASILY SOLD IT TO ANY COLLECTOR........BUT HE GAVE IT TO ME....THANKS CHARLIE.
THE LITTLE KYSO OILER ON TOP IS THE ONLY ONE I HAVE SEEN.

TWO MORE EARLY KYSO OILERS.

TWO KYSO LIQUID GLOSS CANS ITS HARD TO FIND ANYTHING THAT READS KYSO.COOL HAND MIKE FOUND ONE FOR ME,THANKS MIKE.

REX LIKES THE HOBBY

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
THIS PENGUIN ANTI-FREEZE DISPLAY IS FROM THE AD PACK OF 1957...HECK I WAS WORKING IN A STANDARD STATION THAT SUMMER MUST OF HAD "AMERICAN BANDSTAND" ON MY MIND OR NITA.

HERE IS THE ANTI-FREEZE CAN.

MORE

MAYBE YOU READ ABOUT THIS CAN IN CTO I FOUND IT AT THE PEOTONE SHOW THIS YEAR......TYLER MY GRANDSON SAYS HE SAW IT FIRST......

REX LIKES TYLER

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-25-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
HERE ARE SUM 5 POUND KYSO GREASE CANS....NOTICE THE BLUE LOGO,B-4 CHEVRON AND THE WHITE LOGO AFTER THE CHEVRON PURCHASE.

ONE POUND CANS.

MORE GREASE FROM KYSO.

REX LIKES GREASE

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
NOTICE THE BAR AND CIRCLE LOGO .....AND THE QUOTATIONS MARKS ON THE WORD "STANDARD",ALL OF KYSO LUBES CAME FROM STANDARD OIL OF NEW JERSEY.......ON THE FRONT THE CANS WILL READ INCORPORATED IN KENTUCKY...THATS KYSO.
ONE GALLON MOTOR OIL CANS MID 1920'S.

MORE NICE CANS NOT MANY AROUND.

TWO MORE CANS AND THE ORIGINAL BOX FROM THE MID 1920'S.

REX LIKES ORIGINAL

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
MORE GREASE ........I WAS VERY HAPPY TO FIND THESE GREASE TUBES.THEY WERE NEW TO ME.

TWO CURB SIGNS THAT KYSO USED.
CHECK OUT THE TIRE HOLDER WITH THE OLD KYSO LOGO....NICE FIND.

ALL OF THE STANDARD COMPANIES SOLD POLARINE OIL AT SOME TIME.THIS SIGN DOES NOT HAVE A STANDARD CO. NAME ON IT.

KYSO MINERAL SPIRTS SIGN DSP.
KYSO WAS A VERY BIG RESELLER OF MINERAL SPIRTS THIS WAS A HIGH PROFIT PRODUCT. WE SUPPLIED MOST OF THE AIRLINES AND TRUCKING COMPANIES AND EXPORTED IT.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Let's take a look at KYSO credit cards and how they changed through the years. In 1938 KYSO introduced Credit cards honored on a national basis. This enabled the motorist to travel with less cash and keep a record of his expenditures. This ad is from the 1941 KYSO news. It is telling the dealers how important credit cards are. Notice the gap. KYSO did not have stations in Tennessee. Previous to 1938 credit cards were used only in the 5 southern states that KYSO served.

Here is a person's 1935 drivers license and KYSO credit card. Notice that the other four credit cards of different colors. Each color represents a quarter of a year. The credit cards only lasted for one quarter. Of coures, they were made of paper and didn't last long.

The next four paper credit cards are from 1947. The credit card at the bottom right is called a "stan-o-print" and is from 1958. Most of the major oil companies tried this out because the dealers were not writting the correct information down on the receipt.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
The next credit cards were embossed plastic. This meant that the dealer didn't have to rewrite information and the invoice could be processed faster. These cards were issued to the same person from the period of 1959 to 1964 and were good for one year. Notice that in 1963 the address was removed from the credit card. This was done to better protect the owner. Now only the name and account number are embossed on the card. Also, logo was changed from dark blue to white.
When a major oil company bought another one out or when there was a merger, one of the last items to change would be the credit card. Every retail business works very hard to maintain their credit card customers.

The next four cards show how slowly the change went from the KYSO to the Chevron Logo. Two of the cards that are shown are mine. One was issued to Nita and I soon after we got married in 1959. I can recall not having any money and using the credit card to buy a dollars worth of gas and Nita got mad about it. She said that if we don't have the cash we shouldn't buy it. The other one is from December of 1973 and still has Standard Oil Company, Louisville, Kentucky on it.

This is a credit card application and credit card receipts from the 1950's.

I have been trying to add this credit card application holder to my collection but have been unable to find one for sale.

NITA DOESN'T LIKE CREDIT CARDS

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-26-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
In 1961 Standard Oil company (KYSO) celebrated it's 75th anniversary. 3/4 of a century ago on October 7, 1886, KYSO was founded. It was chartered that year under the laws of the Commonwealth of Kentucky with home offices in Louisville.
Also, in 1961, Chevron completed the purchase of KYSO.
Here is a picture from the 75th anniversary meeting and of an old tankwagon that they brought in to exhibit.

In the next three pictures, you will see the beautiful bronze medallions that KYSO had made to celebrate their 75 years of service to the south. Look closely at this medallion from lamp to jet tells it all.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
A special collectable map was produced entitled "Souvenir Map of 75 Years of Oil Progress". Also shown is the cover of Standard Oil News from January 1961 with the medallions on the cover.

REX LIKED MEDALLIONS

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
In the early days before "coal oil" came along,most of the world was lighted by candles and crude lamps that burned lard oil.Supplying kerosene was the dominant factor in KYSO business.The gasoline was burned off.....Most oil companies had lamps made to help in the sale of kerosene.
KYSO LAMP.

CLOSE UP.

Of course there were a lot of fires sooo KYSO had fire extinguishers.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Several years ago we went to the Ad show in Indy.....There was a guy there with thousands of patches he purchased from a uniform company.As I was looking at the patched Nita asked him if he had any KYSO patches as she discribed what they looked like......He said O'Ya so thats what they are... he had some but didn't know what they were, as a thank you to Nita he mailed us several.He also put the first one on Feebay it sold around $50-$60.
This is a copy of the original drawing of the KYSO patch.

More patches.

The KYSO girls basketball team were crowned city champs.The writer stated that (SOCKY) overcame many obstacles that season.........Richard someone else agreed with you on the name SOCKY ......

REX LIKES GIRLS

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job Rex......U-DA-MAN

Love the womens basketball team.

------------------
Scott Shipers

Scott Shipers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the outstanding COTM Rex!!!!!

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Hey Thanks......for the positive comments guys.........
Two Kyso thermometers......The round one is HTF....the other is around but not often found in good condition.

Anyone have a KYSO POLE THERMOMETER to post?

P
P
Absitively, posilutely great stuff, Rex!! Nice to see I'm not the only weird one out there (socky)!! I'm thinking Mr. Oldgas should consider taking this COTM, plus a couple dozen others, and check into publishing and selling a soft cover book.....with profits to help cover the costs of running this website. It would contain great information, with pictures and text available no where else. Some editing would be necessary,but the basics are already in the computer. Just a thought........

Richard

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
YOU CAN'T SELL IT UNLESS YOU CAN DELIVER IT.
................TRUCKS......................
Fireproof oil delivered in 1940.

The first tank truck put into service for the delivery of KYSO products,built by the Longest Brothers of Louisville in 1912.

Most of the major oil compines had a truck painting program,they would supply the paint and pay a portion of the labor to paint the trucks of there distributors and jobbers.
David Higon sent me these 2 pictures of KYSO trucks built by Southern Tank.

One more.

REX LIKES TRUCKS

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
As a teenager I worked every summer and holiday at Ray's Standard-KYSO station in Miami.Ray would send me to the KYSO Miami Terminal to pick up cases of oil and Atlas TBA........Little could I realize that 20 years later I would buy the KYSO Miami Terminal.The size of the warehouse (35,000 SQ.feet) and the 13-25 thousand U/G tanks allowed my company to grow at a rapid rate.
Here are pictures that show the terminal from the East... The west end was for bulk oil storage.You can bearly see the letters on the top of the building -- STANDARD OIL COMPANY---These were taking in 1965.The plant was built by KYSO in 1947.

Signs that were on the building (MIAMI PLANT) and fence.

Safety signs on the fuel loading rack.

One more.

REX LIKES MIAMI

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
........LETS HAVE A GRAND OPENING .........

AND GIVE INDIAN HEAD BANDS AWAY.I THINK THE INDIANS SCALPED THIS GUY.

MORE STUFF TO GIVE A WAY.

FREE IS A NICE WORD......

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
MORE GIVE-A WAYS...FREE....FREE....FREE..

THE PREMIUM GIVE-A-WAYS THAT WORKED BEST WERE THE ONES THAT REQUIRED THE CUSTOMER TO RETURN TO THE STATION SEVERAL TIMES,LIKE THIS GLASS PROMOTION.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
THE SELLING OF PREMIUMS AT LOW PRICES ALSO WAS A TRAFFIC BUILDER AT KYSO STATIONS.
EVERYBODY WANTS A BANK...1940'S PROGRAM.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
THE FIRST GLASS BANK WENT SO WELL LETS TRY ANOTHER.... 1947 PLASTIC BANK PROGRAM.

NICE IDEA........

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
OK WE GAVE A LOT OF STUFF AWAY TO GET CUSTOMERS,HOW CAN WE KEEP THEM COMING BACK??
.............EXCELLENT SERVICE..............
The 3 windshield service cabinets are 100% original......It took a while to find them in good condition.

THIS PICTURE IS FROM THE 1946 KYSO NEWS.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
One of the best ways to keep customers is to put YOUR FACE in their house as a silent salesmen.
Scenic South was sent monthly to all credit card customers and dealer customers that were submitted.
This was a great marketing campaign encouraging customers to travel in the KYSO 5 state area.

Calendars worked... How many times do you look at one?Dealers were encouraged to give them to customers at Christmas....as below.

Farm Almanac were always welcome by farmers inside KYSO listed their products.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST KYSO STUFF ANYTME.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
This neat little pump spent most of its life sitting on the desk of one of the vice presidents of KYSO.His niece inherited it from his estate.........Its a brass lighter fluid dispencer made by Dayton Pump........The base holds the lighter fluid its in beautiful condition a rare piece.

Close up.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Service awards.

Service pins one set is 1-25 years,the other starts at 5 years.......The later years are very hard to find...Sorry bad pic.

Chevron gave these to Nita.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Portable gasoline cart......The pump and meter are from G&B the tank and wheels are Tokheim.....Used on the streets of Louisville,Ky.......From the KYSO pump and tank shop in Louisville,Ky.

Another G&B long distance system pump....Standard Oil on handle.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Kyso clamed to be the first oil company to offer touring service starting in 1929.KYSO did a great job of tieing in dealers to this service.....everybody made more profit.
KYSO NEWS 1947 Ad.

Touring service packs contained a lot of information as you can see.

KYSO was also one of the first to provide Cruising Guides.

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-29-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
KYSO was a pioneer (1923) in providing motorist with authentic,up to date road maps.Maps are one KYSO item that is easy to find......Map of Kentucky 1924.

Map of Florida 1926.

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-29-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Map of Georgia 1928.

KYSO MAPS AND RACK.

LETS SEE SOME ATLAS TBA.......SOLD AND OWENED BY ALL THE STANDARDS.

..........MORE........

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
REX, AN EXCELLENT REPORT....THE LITTLE BIT I'VE READ SO FAR WHEN I'VE HAD TIME! I'VE SEEN SOME LARGE AND SMALLS AND SOME UNUSUALS AND RARE! QUITE THE SPECTRUM OF HISTORY AND THANKS FOR DOING THIS OF COURSE.

REX ROCKS OLDGAS'S COTM!!!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Guys if you missed the KYSO BANNER (1st page) look again DOC did another great job thanks Doc.
REX LIKES BANNERS

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
All the Standards sold ATLAS TBA lets see some.
TWO ATLAS CLOCKS ONE IS FROM THE KYSO MIAMI TERMINAL.

PORCELAIN AND RUBBER ATLAS BATTERY BOXES.

OLD ATLAS TUBES AND REPAIR KITS IN CARDBOARD BOXES.

ATLAS CANS.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
ONLY ONE MORE DAY OF KYSO C.O.T.M.....
LETS LOOK AT SOME ODD AND ENDS.
FIRST AID KITS.

KYSO PAINT... WE TOOK PALLETS OF PAINT TO THE DUMP.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
OIL COMPANIES USED A LOT OF LOCKS.

TEST KIT BOX FOR LEAD.

SEAT COVERS PICK A COLOR.

WE WILL WRAP IT UP TOMORROW WITH OIL.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
KYSO SALT AND PEPPER NOS MIB MT........

WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE BUY GAS IN THE RAIN?

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
KYSO purchased all of there packaged oil products, quarts and 5 quarts from Jersey Standard and Vacuum oil company.This being the case collecting KYSO oil cans was not as much fun as collecting other oil company cans ........The cans looked the same as Mobil or Esso but the lid would read distributed by KYSO........The only KYSO quart oil can I know of is below.I have only seen three.

From the cover of the KYSO NEWS 1941.The most sold quart oil cans at KYSO stations.

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-30-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
All of these oil cans were sold at KYSO stations.

KYSO oil rack signs.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
SOON AFTER THE PURCHASE OF KYSO by CHEVRON, RPM OIL STARTED BEING SOLD.

KYSO DOOR JAM STICKERS.

NOTICE THAT THIS KYSO LUBRICATION CHART HAS A MOBIL CAN ON FRONT.

KYSO LUBRICATION CHARTS 1962.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
KYSO BUCKET.......

TWO 1/120 KEGS AND 5 GALLON CANS.

THREE KYSO FRAMED DRUM LABELS.....AND THREE OF THE BEST GRAND KIDS A GUY COULD HAVE.

KYSOILMAN WILL SAY GOODNIGHT NOW.......AND HAVE A GREAT 4th OF JULY WEEKEND...
GOD BLESS AMERICA.
REX

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I would like to say great job on this Rex I give you a A+++.

BRAD LIKES HISTORY

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved