Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guess I don't understand the "YOUNG HO, GO CHEVRON" part... I mean, how blatant could they be, and showing that floosie on there too...

Wes

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Really neat stuff, Rex. I've never seen any of those old KYSO signs before, or that shape of Standard sign, either.

Actually never knew too much about the beginnings of Chevron either. I'm young... All I remember is that they took over the Gulf stations in my town when I was in middle school.

Wes

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Thanks Wes I was young when that Floosie blond sign was used......Still young at heart.
This is my favorite globe it was used by KYSO in the teens thru the 1920's.Its a one piece etched (OPE) globe with a 7" base, that has been repainted.Its the first globe KYSO used,other that a photograph that shows this same globe as a chimney top.
There are only 3 known as of now.

REX LIKES KYSO

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
HA!! You guys have to keep in mind the time frame these signs were made. This was long before Eddie Murphy popularized the "Ho".

Here's a photo of my old Chevron office in California. I used to enjoy pointing out my "Ho".

Cheers!!

Paul

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rex, super job. I really appreciate all the information and coments on these topics. You have done a great job on Kyso. Love those pictures. Maybe one day you can round up one of those chimney topped one-piece globes. Are there any known out there right now? Buy the way, you don't have any Refiners stuff for sale do you? Maybe you could bring it to Columbus! LOL

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Thanks for the positive comment Roger. In 1930, SOHIO purchased Refiners Oil company and sold their stations in So.Indiana and Kentucky to KYSO.
So I'll be keeping this globe but the next one that I come across is yours.

Refiner's signs are often found in old KYSO bulk plants.

I have been trying to put together a complete collection of KYSO globes over the last 15 years. So far, I have every globe that they ever used. Not in all of the different sizes though. This CROWN Gasoline globe was used from 1920 to 1933.
I have seen several different versions of this globe with minor differences. Such as: the pearls around the the top of the crown in various degrees of blue. Some of the lenses appear to have been hand painted or touched up by brush. This was probably done by the lens maker.

There are differences between the Standard Crowns. All KYSO crowns will simply read "Crown Gasoline" The other Standards will read "Red Crown Gasoline". KYSO was first to offer motorists in it's territory Anit-Knock Gasoline containing Tetraethyl Lead. This was done in 1924. Below is the globe that they used from 1924 to 1933. This is a beautiful globe. The sunburst lines coming out on the Ethyl can be found in either blue or yellow. This globe was very hard for me to find.

More globes Monday.
REX LIKES KYSO

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
This Crown Gasoline globe, often called the Standard Bowtie was used from 1933 to 1936. This is the only KYSO globe that has "KY" (Kentucky) on it. This globe is hard to find in this nice condition.

This three piece glass version of the Crown Gasoline Bowtie globe was used from 1933 to 1940.

The KYSO GREEN metal banded globe was used from 1930 to 1936. This was KYSO's motor grade of gasoline.

The KYSO metal banded globe was used from 1936 to 1940.

REX LIKES KYSO

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Lets take a look at Tony's Station circa 1930. I have refered to this photo several times to identify signs and globes that KYSO used during the 30's. Check out the three Wayne 60's.

The KYSO globe on the right end is a 3 piece glass wide-body used by KYSO from 1936 to 1940.The "KYSO" globe was Motor Grade Gasoline, but the ad glass on the pump reads "White".

Collecting KYSO is a real challenge. They didn't have many signs. As you can see, they used decals instead of pump plates. They sold ESSO and MOBIL's lubricants and they sold ATLAS TBA. There are very few items that read Standard Oil or KYSO.
So old photograps like Tony's Station give us an insight as to what signage and products were used.

I was able to find this Super Pyro sign just like the one shown on Tony's Station.

This is the same sign that is on the Esso Oil Rack that is next to Tony in the picture. Notice the price, 25 cents a quart.

Here is a picture of Tony's Ladies Restroom sign. The one that is up on the pole. The men's room was always out back.
The oil companies knew the advantage of having a clean ladies room.

Several old photographs show the KYSO gasoline price sign that is in the front of the picture. I have been unable to find this sign. Does anyone out there have one?
REX LIKES KYSO

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
AWESOME job Rex. Their used to me a mint all orange Refiners curb (like the orange cans) sign at an antique mall near me but it is no longer their.

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED: Quart Picture Cans
Kansas City, Missouri 64152

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
J
J
Rex,

Using the road information sign in the background, have you ever been able to pinpoint the location of Tony's station??

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
somebody say kyso?

[img]http://hometown.aol.com/ethancarman/mypumps/kyso2[/img]

[img]http://hometown.aol.com/ethancarman/mypumps/kyso1[/img]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Thanks Scott....... Most of the Refiners signs I see are in average - condition.
Jeff, Hwy.#31 goes from Louisville to Tennessee.....My best guess is somewhere between Louisville and Bardstown,Kentucky.
Thanks for posting the signs CANS and Stuff.....They are from the Standard family.When you see quote marks on "standard" the sign is from Standard Oil of New Jersey.The Standard Service sign is from Standard Of Indiana.
REX WANTS MORE

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I hope the pic turns out it's been a little while since I last posted.
Joe

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us][IMG]http://img129.echo.cx/img129/8568/cimg0286small2ii
One more from the garage.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us][IMG]http://img129.echo.cx/img129/8541/cimg0286small0bx
Lets see if this works

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved