Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Not sure why this one won't work and the first one did?I did the same on both.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Here are some KYSO images from Brad Ralston -gasoildude:

Click on the thumbnails to get full size images

Thanks, Brad!

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 06-19-2005).]

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Look at the Standard Oil Dealer admiring his station. this is from the cover of the KYSO news dated 3-1-40. Let's take a closer look at the globes in the picture.

This 3 piece glass Crown was used from 1940 to 1961.

This Crown Capco was brought into use in 1956 and gradually phased out in the early 1960's.

This Crown Extra glass globe replaced the Crown Ethyl Globe in 1940.

This Crown Extra Capco globe was introduced in 1956 and used through the early 1960's.

More to come.
REX LIKES KYSO

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
This 3 piece glass Standard Globe was used from 1940 to 1961. This globe used to be an easy find. I haven't seen any for sale in quite a while.

A friend of mine was on vacation in Florida. He went to an auction of a retired KYSO employee. In the Chicken coop, they found 10 Standard lenses in two wooden crates. They were addressed to Standard Oil of Kentucky in Louisville. The Sender was Libby Owens Ford Glass Company. The roof of the Chicken coop was a crown gasoline sign that we will be looking at later. I could not believe how well they cleaned up.

This Crown Ethyl three piece glass globe shown in this ad was first used in 1933 and replaced by Crown Extra in 1940.

I have only seen one other Crown Ethyl globe. It is very hard to find.

This Crown Diesel Fuel 3 piece glass globe is the only one that I have ever seen. It' is a very rare globe.

More coming.
REX LIKES KYSO

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-20-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Standard Oil of Kentucky was the first to introduce a super-premium, 100-plus octane gasoline in its 5 state territory in 1956. It was called SUPER CROWN EXTRA. Look at the pictures of the two Super Crown Extra globes.
WILL THE REAL SUPER CROWN EXTRA PLEASE STAND UP!!

I worked, as a teenager, in Standard Oil of Kentucky stations. I later became a Standard Oil distributor in the Miami, Florida area. I had never seen a Super Crown Extra in green until we retired to Kentucky. I thought that the green one was a reproduction. Actually they both were used by KYSO.
Here is a picture of the Super Crown Extra in green on a pump.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
This Standard Aviation 3 piece glass globe was used from 1947 to the early 1960s. This is the only Standard Aviation Glass globe that I have seen. All the rest were Capco.
I have mentioned several times in this KYSO COTM report that "this is the only one that I have seen, or the only one known" If anyone out there knows different or has one, please post it.
This is a beautiful globe.

The major oil companies made a lot of money serving the major airports. Pan Am and Delta were two of KYSO's favorite customers.
Check out the KYSO ads on this 1959 Delta ticket jacket along with the post card of the Louisville, Kentucky KYSO hangar.

Here is a neat picture of a KYSO hangar and the two unbranded pumps. I sure would like to find a sign like the one on that hangar.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
The globe that we are going to look at now is not listed in the globe book under KYSO. It is listed under Standard Oil of Indiana. I have seen a few pictures showing that KYSO used this globe. Perhaps Indiana did also, but I would like that to be documented.
Here is KYSO's Marine Standard Gasoline Capco Globe.

This is a picture of a KYSO station in Silver Springs, Florida that is selling marine products dated 1958. Notice the Marine Globe in service.

This Standard Marine Globe on glass is a new discovery. It was found in West Palm Beach, Florida.

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-21-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
This Stnadard Diesel Fuel globe is not listed under KYSO in the globe book either. It can be found under Standard of Indiana. Perhaps Indiana used it but, again, I would like to see some documentation.
Here is the Standard Diesel Fuel globe in Capco.

This is a picture of the Standard Oil booth in Miami, Florida at the International Boat Show. Notice the pump on the right has both the Diesel Fuel and Marine globe on it.
It is hard to see but it's there.

This is the only Standard Diesel Fuel glass globe that I have seen.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
There have been serveral discussion between KYSO employees and collectors as to whether or not there was an Economy globe. As far as I am concerned, there was not. As the next picture will show, when the Economy brand replaced the Standard brand in 1962 there was no globe on the pump.

Thats about it for the globes. If you have any KYSO globes, please post them.
REX LIKES KYSO

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job on COTM Rex!
I don't have any documentation on the Diesel and Marine globes being used by Standard of Indiana, but they do turn up here in the midwest from time to time. Could it be they were used by both companies????

I saw another version of the Standard (Aviation) globe. It was very similar to yours but Standard was smaller with the wings at each end of it.

Thanks for sharing your hard to find globes!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Outstanding and informative presentation Rex. Thanks.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Lets look at some old KYSO stations and there pumps and signs.
From the 1940 KYSO NEWS The Evolution of filling stations as seen 65 years ago.

These KYSO stations are from the 1920's they sold one brand.... Crown Gasoline thats all there was.

Old wooden Crown Gasoline sign.

Look at the next picture... great pumps... G&B?..The 3 Crown globes and if you look close there are 2 porcelain Crown price signs on the station 26 cents.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
KYSO signs are very hard to come by. This porcelain Crown price sign is the same one that is on the above station.

Here is another porcelain price sign still selling the single grade of Crown gasoline.

The next two price signs are made of metal. They are hard to find in good condition. Notice that there are now two grades of gasoline.

Let's end with the economy price sign from the 1960's.

REX LIKES KYSO

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-22-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
HERE IS A VERY NICE MARINE STANDARD GASOLINE GLOBE ITS A 3 PIECE GLASS WIDE BODY WITH A 7" BASE THANKS TO KIM LOXTERCAMP FOR SHARING THIS BEAUTY.
NICE DISPLAY KIM.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
LETS LOOK AT A BUTTON BOX....WHAT??????

ACCORDING TO THE STORY THIS KYSO GREASE CAN (BUTTON BOX) PREDATES THE 1911 BREAKUP.I GOT LUCKY AND FOUND ONE FOR MY KYSO COLLECTION.

REX LIKES CANS

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved