Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
CHECK OUT THIS AD FROM THE 1939 KYSO NEWS...
WISH I HAD A FEW CASES OF THESE LIGHTER FLUID CANS AT 10 CENTS EACH.

SALES HAVE JUMPED SKY-HIGH AT 10 CENTS A CAN

HERE IS MINE PAID A LOT MORE THAN 10 CENTS FEEBAY FIND A FEW YEARS BACK THE BACK UP BIDDER OFFERED ME A CRISP 100 DOLLAR BILL PROFIT TO SELL IT TO HIM.ITS THE ONLY ONE I HAVE SEEN.

REX NEEDS MORE

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
THR KYSO HANDY OILER IS ANOTHER HARD TO FIND CAN AND EXPENSIVE.THE BEST ONE I HAVE WAS GIVEN TO ME BY THE LATE CHARLIE WHITWORTH "THE GULF GUY" HE COULD OF EASILY SOLD IT TO ANY COLLECTOR........BUT HE GAVE IT TO ME....THANKS CHARLIE.
THE LITTLE KYSO OILER ON TOP IS THE ONLY ONE I HAVE SEEN.

TWO MORE EARLY KYSO OILERS.

TWO KYSO LIQUID GLOSS CANS ITS HARD TO FIND ANYTHING THAT READS KYSO.COOL HAND MIKE FOUND ONE FOR ME,THANKS MIKE.

REX LIKES THE HOBBY

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
THIS PENGUIN ANTI-FREEZE DISPLAY IS FROM THE AD PACK OF 1957...HECK I WAS WORKING IN A STANDARD STATION THAT SUMMER MUST OF HAD "AMERICAN BANDSTAND" ON MY MIND OR NITA.

HERE IS THE ANTI-FREEZE CAN.

MORE

MAYBE YOU READ ABOUT THIS CAN IN CTO I FOUND IT AT THE PEOTONE SHOW THIS YEAR......TYLER MY GRANDSON SAYS HE SAW IT FIRST......

REX LIKES TYLER

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-25-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
HERE ARE SUM 5 POUND KYSO GREASE CANS....NOTICE THE BLUE LOGO,B-4 CHEVRON AND THE WHITE LOGO AFTER THE CHEVRON PURCHASE.

ONE POUND CANS.

MORE GREASE FROM KYSO.

REX LIKES GREASE

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
NOTICE THE BAR AND CIRCLE LOGO .....AND THE QUOTATIONS MARKS ON THE WORD "STANDARD",ALL OF KYSO LUBES CAME FROM STANDARD OIL OF NEW JERSEY.......ON THE FRONT THE CANS WILL READ INCORPORATED IN KENTUCKY...THATS KYSO.
ONE GALLON MOTOR OIL CANS MID 1920'S.

MORE NICE CANS NOT MANY AROUND.

TWO MORE CANS AND THE ORIGINAL BOX FROM THE MID 1920'S.

REX LIKES ORIGINAL

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
MORE GREASE ........I WAS VERY HAPPY TO FIND THESE GREASE TUBES.THEY WERE NEW TO ME.

TWO CURB SIGNS THAT KYSO USED.
CHECK OUT THE TIRE HOLDER WITH THE OLD KYSO LOGO....NICE FIND.

ALL OF THE STANDARD COMPANIES SOLD POLARINE OIL AT SOME TIME.THIS SIGN DOES NOT HAVE A STANDARD CO. NAME ON IT.

KYSO MINERAL SPIRTS SIGN DSP.
KYSO WAS A VERY BIG RESELLER OF MINERAL SPIRTS THIS WAS A HIGH PROFIT PRODUCT. WE SUPPLIED MOST OF THE AIRLINES AND TRUCKING COMPANIES AND EXPORTED IT.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Let's take a look at KYSO credit cards and how they changed through the years. In 1938 KYSO introduced Credit cards honored on a national basis. This enabled the motorist to travel with less cash and keep a record of his expenditures. This ad is from the 1941 KYSO news. It is telling the dealers how important credit cards are. Notice the gap. KYSO did not have stations in Tennessee. Previous to 1938 credit cards were used only in the 5 southern states that KYSO served.

Here is a person's 1935 drivers license and KYSO credit card. Notice that the other four credit cards of different colors. Each color represents a quarter of a year. The credit cards only lasted for one quarter. Of coures, they were made of paper and didn't last long.

The next four paper credit cards are from 1947. The credit card at the bottom right is called a "stan-o-print" and is from 1958. Most of the major oil companies tried this out because the dealers were not writting the correct information down on the receipt.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
The next credit cards were embossed plastic. This meant that the dealer didn't have to rewrite information and the invoice could be processed faster. These cards were issued to the same person from the period of 1959 to 1964 and were good for one year. Notice that in 1963 the address was removed from the credit card. This was done to better protect the owner. Now only the name and account number are embossed on the card. Also, logo was changed from dark blue to white.
When a major oil company bought another one out or when there was a merger, one of the last items to change would be the credit card. Every retail business works very hard to maintain their credit card customers.

The next four cards show how slowly the change went from the KYSO to the Chevron Logo. Two of the cards that are shown are mine. One was issued to Nita and I soon after we got married in 1959. I can recall not having any money and using the credit card to buy a dollars worth of gas and Nita got mad about it. She said that if we don't have the cash we shouldn't buy it. The other one is from December of 1973 and still has Standard Oil Company, Louisville, Kentucky on it.

This is a credit card application and credit card receipts from the 1950's.

I have been trying to add this credit card application holder to my collection but have been unable to find one for sale.

NITA DOESN'T LIKE CREDIT CARDS

[This message has been edited by Kysoilman (edited 06-26-2005).]

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
In 1961 Standard Oil company (KYSO) celebrated it's 75th anniversary. 3/4 of a century ago on October 7, 1886, KYSO was founded. It was chartered that year under the laws of the Commonwealth of Kentucky with home offices in Louisville.
Also, in 1961, Chevron completed the purchase of KYSO.
Here is a picture from the 75th anniversary meeting and of an old tankwagon that they brought in to exhibit.

In the next three pictures, you will see the beautiful bronze medallions that KYSO had made to celebrate their 75 years of service to the south. Look closely at this medallion from lamp to jet tells it all.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
A special collectable map was produced entitled "Souvenir Map of 75 Years of Oil Progress". Also shown is the cover of Standard Oil News from January 1961 with the medallions on the cover.

REX LIKED MEDALLIONS

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
In the early days before "coal oil" came along,most of the world was lighted by candles and crude lamps that burned lard oil.Supplying kerosene was the dominant factor in KYSO business.The gasoline was burned off.....Most oil companies had lamps made to help in the sale of kerosene.
KYSO LAMP.

CLOSE UP.

Of course there were a lot of fires sooo KYSO had fire extinguishers.

K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Several years ago we went to the Ad show in Indy.....There was a guy there with thousands of patches he purchased from a uniform company.As I was looking at the patched Nita asked him if he had any KYSO patches as she discribed what they looked like......He said O'Ya so thats what they are... he had some but didn't know what they were, as a thank you to Nita he mailed us several.He also put the first one on Feebay it sold around $50-$60.
This is a copy of the original drawing of the KYSO patch.

More patches.

The KYSO girls basketball team were crowned city champs.The writer stated that (SOCKY) overcame many obstacles that season.........Richard someone else agreed with you on the name SOCKY ......

REX LIKES GIRLS

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job Rex......U-DA-MAN

Love the womens basketball team.

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED: Quart Picture Cans
Kansas City, Missouri 64152

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the outstanding COTM Rex!!!!!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
K
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
K
Hey Thanks......for the positive comments guys.........
Two Kyso thermometers......The round one is HTF....the other is around but not often found in good condition.

Anyone have a KYSO POLE THERMOMETER to post?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved