Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#7997 - Mon Sep 26 2005 08:49 PM Mobilgas scriptop variations
tjhvintage Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Tacoma,Wash. USA
I purchased a real nice steel Mobilgas Special scriptop this weekend,only to find when I got it home that the script is different from the one I already have.(ouch!)The "a" in the word Mobilgas is closed rather than open.Does anyone know the time frame for this variation?Is there any chance of finding replacement scripts?I would even like to find a decent used set.I will try to post a picture,or get Doc or Hubba to help so you can see the difference.Thanks, Tim

------------------
Member #163

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#7998 - Mon Sep 26 2005 09:08 PM Re: Mobilgas scriptop variations
THE AMERICAN GARAGE Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: PECONIC BAY, L.I., NY, USA
HOW THIS FOR "QUICK?"......

TIM'S DILEMMA....

HOPE SOMEONE CAN SHED LIGHT ON THIS.....no pun intended!

DOC @ TAG.WEST

#7999 - Tue Sep 27 2005 08:02 PM Re: Mobilgas scriptop variations
Thunder Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado
If you refer to page 253 of the "Guide to Gas Pump Restoration" the Mobil Shields show BOTH the "Serif" A, and the "Round" A used between 1945 and 1955, without any reason as to why two different "A"s are used...

Where are the MOBIL guys?

#8000 - Tue Sep 27 2005 10:46 PM Re: Mobilgas scriptop variations
Pegasus Offline

Loc: DFW metro area
The "serif" or open "a" is the older version......but I don't know the date of the change to the "round" or closed "a".

#8001 - Tue Sep 27 2005 11:33 PM Re: Mobilgas scriptop variations
fast66 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
I have been trying to get information about this, but no-one seem to know for sure. As for pump plates (shields) the most common plates started using the closed "a" in 1946. The open a was used on the key hole- and square tin plates as well as decals, before the war. The open a seems to be used after WW2 only in the more uncommon plates like aircraft, marine and some plates from the Magnolia area (which are hard to date properly).
If you look at plates available for sale, the open a is extremely rare and I have only seen it on ebay a couple of times since 1999 when I started to look.
In advertising, the change over was a couple of years later. I checked this on lots of ads sold on ebay a couple of years back, and the open a was common until 1948.

rgds,
Claes

[This message has been edited by fast66 (edited 09-28-2005).]

[This message has been edited by fast66 (edited 09-28-2005).]

#8002 - Thu Sep 29 2005 08:05 AM Re: Mobilgas scriptop variations
Petroholic Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Berlin,WI USA
**Wow I never knew they had two versions!!I have five script tops and never knew there could be a difference,how do you get the new inserts for that style,there not repoped are they??

#8003 - Thu Sep 29 2005 09:42 PM Re: Mobilgas scriptop variations
tjhvintage Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Petroholic,That's the problem here for sure.I don't think anyone repops these inserts.My only hope is to find a decent used set or maybe N.O.S.?(dream on!)Having new inserts would make this a nice rare variation that would probably be worth a tidy sum,but without them it's probably the most expensive bucket I've ever bought!LOL!By the way this is the second one I've owned.The last one had the inserts intact.

------------------
Member #163

#8004 - Fri Sep 30 2005 11:23 AM Re: Mobilgas scriptop variations
autoartist Offline

Loc: Berea.OH USA
Making an insert should not be too hard or too difficult. Check your local yellow pages for vacuum formers, they may also be under sign shops or specialty packaging. The mold is relatively simple and the size isn't unreasonable so anyone with the vacuum form equipment could do a couple easily. Just use an extruded acrylic, polycarb or buterate not styrene.

#8005 - Thu Dec 15 2005 11:05 PM Re: Mobilgas scriptop variations
tjhvintage Offline
Petro Enthusiast

check out ebay auction #7204994843.Another example of the script top variation.I wonder if the high bidder knows how tough it's going to be to find inserts?

------------------
Member #163

#8006 - Fri Dec 16 2005 09:20 AM Re: Mobilgas scriptop variations
gatorgaspumps Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Walla Walla, WA USA
Morning Tim there was a outfit in Portland that was doing a repo of the open style, maybe they can do the closed style also. The problem is I don't remember their name. You might check with Slama he might know. Richard

#8007 - Fri Dec 16 2005 02:21 PM Re: Mobilgas scriptop variations
Jack Sim Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Just for your information, back in the 1950s when one of the letters on these tops would break you could order just the broken letter, you didn't have to replace the complete insert. This applied for all Mibil, Conoco and Sunoco tops.
One more thing, years ago a collector called me up to tell me he had come across a Mobil scrip top that had a cutout of a Pegasus below the word Mobilgas. May have been an expermental, but it would sure be neat.
Jack Sim

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 12-16-2005).]

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved