Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Guys and Gals;

Tonight we begin the next installment of Globe of the Month. We are going to take a look at one piece globes focusing on canteen shaped one pieces. At a later date we will look at the many diferent shaped one piece globes (Crowns, Shells, Eagles, fishbowl globes, etc.)

The canteen shaped one piece globes were some of the very first globes ever used on pumps with the first ones appearing as early as 1912. There are a suprising number of variations in the canteen shaped globes and we are going to look at 3 of them tonight and will continue to add to this post in the coming weeks.

The basic canteen shaped one piece globe came in three body styles. In collector circles they are refered to as the narrow, the rounded wide, and the wide body style. If you look at the photo that will be posted here shortly you will see that the Dixie globe on the left is noticably narrower than the other two, the middle one is wider but has a very rounded top to it and the one on the right is the wide body style of one-piece. As you will see in the photo the top of the wide body globe is almost flat.

As the month goes by we will look at the different types of one piece globes like baked, etched, cast, and chimmney cap as well as the different sizes. We will also discuss some of the reproduction globes as well as some of the questionable ones. Thats all for now! If you have photos of any one piece canteen shaped globes please take a moment in the coming weeks to share them with the Oldgas community. Thanks!

Lonnie

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 03-09-2008).]

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
In a little bit Aaron will be posting a photo of a North Side Coal & Oil Co. globe. In the early days of the oil business it was not uncommon for coal suppliers to also sell oil as many of the more progressive coal suppliers saw oil as the heating source of the future.

This is an early wide body style globe and the colored part of the globe is deeply etched. In the old days they would etch the words or design into the globe with acid and then paint the etched area. Many of these early globes are very heavy and could have been used for boat anchors!

Many years ago when Aaron was probably 6 or 7 years old we were at a Brewriana Show looking at the beer items when he said "Look Dad, this guy has a globe." To which I replied "Where?" The guy had a photo of a North Side globe on his table and I had walked right past it but Aaron (being closer in height to the top of the table saw it.) I asked the guy about the globe and he told me he had it in box behind the table because he did not want to set it out for fear of having it get broken.

He told me he had found it in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area. He did not know anything about the company but he knew he had something unusuall and after a little discussion we arrived at a price that was agreeable to both of us. Aaron obviously was pretty proud of his find and it has long been one of his favorite one piece globes!

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 03-09-2008).]

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
The two of you guys are doing a great job, love the information !

Doug

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Im thirsty. More please.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are photos of two different Newport 1-piece globes. Newport Oil Company was out of Newport, Rhode Island and used these globes in the 1920s. The "upside down" globe would have been used as a canopy light under the eave of the station or over the doorway. Canopy globes are actually quite uncommon and we only know of 6 or 7 different ones that exist today. The most common one is the Skelly canopy. Later in the month we'll dig through the photo books and post some more canopy globe images.

I know there are a lot of 1-piece globes out there. If you have any why not take a few minutes and share them with the Oldgas community. Thanks!

Lonnie

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 03-13-2008).]

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Here are some one piece globes. None are mine

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G

www.petrobarn.com
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Here are some more from Diamond or eye candy for you Wes

www.petrobarn.com
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G

www.petrobarn.com
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I like the Galtex Pale Filtered. Sounds good enough to drink.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G

www.petrobarn.com
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G

www.petrobarn.com
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Here are some from Sinclair. Enjoy Tara & you other Sinclair nuts
The Pennant above is also Sinclair related.

These are not from Sinclair.

www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
How were these globes originally made? Were the graphics part of the casting of the glass? Or, were the graphics applied through an etching & painting process?

I'd appreciate learning.

Chad Haas
Chief Gearhead
VAULT�
12725 SW Millikan Way, Suite 300
Beaverton, OR 97005-1687
http://www.vaultgarage.com
http://www.facebook.com/VaultGarage
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B