Print Thread
#83296 Mon Feb 07 2005 08:17 PM
T
Thunder Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I wanted a Gargoyle sign, to go with my yet unfinished Tokheim 39A. When I saw Doc's post, I was inspired to try the same. But with my little "Projecta" I was unable to get agood image to work with. Doc was kind enough to e-mail me a Gargoyle scan to start with.

Armed with the scan, I needed a sign. I found an old "For Sale" sign. I welded cross pieces to the bottom, to make it free standing. The sign was cleaned & repainted white. The images were transferred by upscaling the individual words, taping them to the window, then tracing them onto a full size sheet of paper. From there, I turned it over, and drew over the reverse with charcoal. It was then placed on the sign and taped in place, so I could re-draw over the lines. This would transfer the charcoal to the sign, so I had a pattern to follow.

This is a lot of extra steps, but without an overhead projector, I couldn't see any other way to do this. And I was too impatient to try to find the right equipment. Some of the flaws in this process could be seen in the finishd project. But for a first attempt, I learned a lot. The gas can also got the same treatment. The first bit of paint can be seen in the photo. It has since been finished.

Thank you Doc, at The American Garage, for your insiration and help.

------------------
If you love your freedom, thank a vet. If you love anything else, thank a trucker!

Edit to link to the larger image

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 02-09-2005).]

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#83297 Tue Feb 08 2005 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looking good. NCE JOB

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#83298 Tue Feb 08 2005 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
THUNDER, MY FRIEND - GREAT JOB ON THE SIGN AND THE REST! NOW THAT YOU GOT THE SIGN PAINTING THING DOWN, WHAT'RE YA GONNA PAINT NEXT? I JUST BOUGHT MYSELF A NEW APOLLO O/H PROJECTOR.....MY NEXT PROJECT WILL BE A HYVIS MOTOR OIL SIGN! PROJECTOR SHOULD BE HERE NEXT WEEK (EBAY PURCHASE).

BTW, YOUR THUMBNAIL IS NOT "LIVE" (CLICKABLE) FOR SOME REASON, BUT COPY AND PASTE GOT ME THERE!

THANKS FOR SHARING AND YOUR QUITE WELCOME!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved