Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Posting these two 11 1/4" globes for Roger Cherry. Note the 4" and 6" bases on these globes. I have also seen a small metal body globe with a 7" base which is quite unusuall. Neat pair, I have never seen the Chi-Namel Paint globe in the small size like this before. Thanks for sharing the photos! Anyone else? We will be glad to post your metal body globe photos. Thanks!

Lonnie

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-22-2008).]

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are some photos of a few different uncommon 15" globes with Ethyl logos.

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-25-2008).]

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a few more fairly uncommon Ethyl metal bodied globes. The Crown of Kentucky Ethyl is on a 16.5" stepped up high profile body. Take note of the Pure Ethyl, not the Purol Ethyl that is more often seen.

Aaron

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 08-29-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I found a photo of the very rare Shell Aviation 15" globe. We have only ever seen a couple of these lenses in all of years of collecting. Thanks to everyone who has shared, let's see some more! After the Labor Day holiday we'll be featuring some of the unusual shaped metal body globes as well the 18" neon globes and then we'll start up the next segment looking at glass bodied globes.

Aaron Hop

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Aaron,
Would the Kan-O-Tex been made for glass? I know they made glass bodies but only seen Kan-O-Tex use them.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
John,
You are correct that Kanotex did use the 15" glass bodies, but I have also seen Kanotex lenses that have turned up on metal bodies. Kanotex was not the only one who utilized those rare bodies, Pennzoil and Guyler also used them. We will feature these 15" glass bodies in the glass body segment of GOTM.

Aaron

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a couple of unusual shaped metal body globes. With the cut out corners the Colonial is actually an eight sided globe. It was used by Colonial Beacon Oil out of Boston in the 1920s. I do not know of another company that used that style of metal body globe.

Thie Pierce Pennant is a huge globe measuring nearly 2 foot across. It is a metal body globe that has a plastic base. When a few turned up years ago no one was sure if they were real. Since that time old station photos have turned up that show them used as canopy globes. With their size and a plastic base I can't imagine they lasted very long! This installment of Globe of the Month will run through the weekend so feel free to post any metal body globe photos you have. Thanks!

Lonnie

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 09-01-2008).]

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 09-01-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The metal body "Globe of the Month" has pretty well run its course. Thanks to everyone who posted! Great bunch of globes, all the Buffalo and Shell globe were very impressive! Just wanted to add a few more photos of some unusuall metal body globes that I have seen in the last couple of weeks. The GLF globe pictured here is actually two convex porcelain faces bolted togather. The faces are 15 inches in diameter and I have seen a few of these on 15 inch metal bodies. This is the first time that I have seen them bolted togather with this unique base. The story goes that metal face globes like this were used on visible pumps at rural locations where there was no electicity to light them up.

[This message has been edited by olddutchgas (edited 09-18-2008).]

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This Mobil Ethyl is the first one I have seen of this style. It is unusuall to find a globe with both the Ethyl word and Ethyl logo on it. What makes this one even more unusuall is the black letters. You see very few Mobil globes with black letters. Neat piece! If anyone has any more metal body globes feel free to post them. Aaron and I are moving on to the next installment of "Globe of the Month" featuring glass body globes. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved