Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Classifieds | Bookstore | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#85639 - Sat Nov 20 2004 06:52 PM November POTM - Erie Clockface
gas pump freak Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Wilmington, NC
Ever since I have been lucky enough to be the host of "Pump of the Month" I have had the Erie clockfaces in the back of my mind. If a petro freak had to pick one true American gas pump icon, who could argue with the Erie clockface pumps? Like many of the American companies go, some nerdy number crunchers decided to merge Erie with AO Smith around the mid 50's and things went from being classy to pleasing stockholders, need I say more?!? Much of our great nation has gone (or is going) this direction, so what!! The dollar is obviously the most important thing to many of us, darn it! We can't blame ourselves too bad for this deal though because it did happen before our time.

Personally I have about 25 different pumps that I would consider as being collectibles but I don't have (and probably never will have) an Erie clockface! I do have an Erie 740 that I cherish as much as anything I own (because I only have one) and somewhat consider myself to be in the Erie club. I am only smiling though, but maybe one day will be able to grin if I do get the chance to own an Erie clockface!

To prove how important the Erie clockfaces are let me say that on the front cover of my Jack Sim bible there is one of these babies pictured. Apparently I'm not the only one that feels the Erie clocks are icons!!

Please post anything you have on these, be it pictures, brouchures, war stories or lies.
Also feel free to send me your pictures at haninfrared@msn.com and I will be glad to post them for you.

I was tickled at how well last month's POTM went, let's make this month even better!
Thanks guys, YOU'RE THE BEST!!

Neal

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#85640 - Sat Nov 20 2004 11:58 PM Re: November POTM - Erie Clockface
minuteman Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Big Sky Country
here's one to start off with!!

#85641 - Sun Nov 21 2004 08:47 AM Re: November POTM - Erie Clockface
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Shady Cove, Oregon (outside Me...
Minuteman, now "that's what I'm talking about"! Your Cash Recorder is top of my list of pumps I want in my collection. (followed closely by a Tokheim 36ADC display case)
Do you know of one of these for sale? You can contact me directly at: oltoydoc@pacbell.net

Your's is a Beauty. How about some additional photos just to get Hubba's drool bucket going?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas
Vintage Gas

#85642 - Mon Nov 22 2004 05:30 PM Re: November POTM - Erie Clockface
gas pump freak Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Our good friend and fellow oldgaser "Arthur" sent me a bunch of Erie clockface related pictures. Here are a few;

Thanks Arthur!

Neal

#85643 - Tue Nov 23 2004 09:38 AM Re: November POTM - Erie Clockface
+Chris Holt Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: St. Clair MI USA
Minuteman, WOW how do ya top a pump like that , that is with out a doubt the nicest looking pump ever built in my book, and yours is the only one I've ever seen restored, you have a true classic on your hands there.I'm with doc how about some more shots of it, thanks for letting us take a look.

#85644 - Tue Nov 23 2004 07:52 PM Re: November POTM - Erie Clockface
gas pump freak Offline
Petro Enthusiast

More Erie clock pictures from our good friend Arthur;

Keep em coming fellows!

Neal

#85645 - Tue Nov 23 2004 08:10 PM Re: November POTM - Erie Clockface
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif
I found the TOP, now I need an ERIE 80

#85646 - Thu Nov 25 2004 09:35 PM Re: November POTM - Erie Clockface
gas pump freak Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Two more pictures from Arthur;

Thanks all!

Neal

#85647 - Sat Nov 27 2004 08:25 AM Re: November POTM - Erie Clockface
Gary Drye Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Clarksville, Tn. USA
Great looking pumps. Erie is one of my favorites Here is a model U-10 from 1932.

#85648 - Sat Nov 27 2004 12:41 PM Re: November POTM - Erie Clockface
Jack Sim Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
I have always been a fan of Erie pumps, and have written a couple of articles about them for "Check the Oil!" magazine. You can read them by clicking here: http://www.crspub.com/gaspumps/POM_Oct96.htm and http://www.crspub.com/gaspumps/POM_April00.htm
I will try and put some great Erie pictures I have, on the site within the next few days.
Jack Sim

#85649 - Mon Nov 29 2004 07:46 AM Re: November POTM - Erie Clockface
T-way Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Riley, MI, USA
Dick:

If you decide to sell that top - give me a shout. I need one for my Erie 70.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
http://www.vintage-logos.com

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2016 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved