Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#86044 Sat Oct 04 2008 04:22 PM
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Brian

You are right about all the sniveling here. Oh you may sell that item then heaven forbid that you would list it in showcase section. seems to be a lot of people here that look to jump on anything that a person says. Thank goodness that there are other channels/

ward

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#86045 Sat Oct 04 2008 05:10 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Nothing else to do until election day.

#86046 Sat Oct 04 2008 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Black T---Congrats on your almost 1000 posts to oldgas

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
#86047 Sat Oct 04 2008 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I understand the repo/date thing very well. I think 99.99 percent of us do. That issue has NOTHING to do with DECALS being used as signs.

Has anyone ever held a decal sign and bought it as an original???

I didn't think so. Move on you schmucks.

Scott Wright
#86048 Sat Oct 04 2008 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was not going to respond to this because it has gotten way out of hand, but didnt this start out as a showcase and nothing more. What I mean by that is four pages of arguing I thank is enough. Just my two cents not that it means much.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
#86049 Sun Oct 05 2008 03:52 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
While I am not going to get in the middle of this repo vs. original thing, I do have a story to relay.

Gulf pulled out of this area in the early 1980's and the local jobber has many items displayed in his office. On the wooden bottom stand of a glass display case are pump plates. One I always wanted was the Gulf No-Nox Ethyl. I even offered him a ridiculous amount for it once with no luck in obtaining it.

One day, after being turned down again, I asked to hold it. With his permission, I got down on my knees and removed it. To my disbelief, it was a metal blank with a decal! This was never intended to fool anyone. He then showed me an old time weathered box full of original No-Nox decals. These were made and used on the pumps but for some reason. they were also put on this metal blank. I assumed, they did this to save from buying the porcelain signs where a sign was needed.

This "repo" sign was made up by the jobber's father or Grandfather and was never intended to be sold. It was made way before collecting this junk was popular. They also took a one piece Gulf globe and repainted it with the 1963 logo to keep from buying a nother globe. Don't ask me why.

The point of this story is....Heck, I don't know!!! LOL

#86050 Sun Oct 05 2008 07:36 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Well I had said I was through posting here, but one last one. Brian, John,Scott let's get back to the friendly petro site where they are laughing about this argument.leave this site to the doom and gloom guys like Neil Gerrard and Tallrick

#86051 Sun Oct 05 2008 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Blange how did I miss the boat by a long way??In your earlier post you stated that "Decal signs can never be passed off as orginals" I simply made mention that thats not true as I own two original decal signs.So I'm not sure what I missed?

Powerlube yes I've held a decal sign in my hand and bought as original.Does that make me a schmuck? So I think most of us agree on the dated stuff but how are the signs different.I realize that you think signs were never made that way but there were a few.I'm not saying not to use them in yours or anyone else's restos,they look great and give more depth than just slapping a plain sticker on a pump.Nothing bad could come out of dating anything.This seems to be getting beaten to death and that certainly not my intent.The signs and globe looks great,and I realize that even dated some not so honest people will distress them and try to pass them of to someone not so sharp.
Joe

#86052 Sun Oct 05 2008 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Petroholic- Show me the sign you bought with a decal. If you bought it as a SIGN ie porcelain or paint and you had your hands on it before you bought it then I am SORRY but that is one lesson you need to take your hard knocks for. Schmuck I don't know but I hope it tought you something, decal signs are just that DECALS. Some old decals have value. I have some old bearcat globe lense decals that are pretty pricey but even mounted they would not be worth a fraction of a real sign (paint or porcelain)

Gary- your decals on metal is a perfect example. As soon as you held it you knew it was a decal. An old decal sure but a decal none the less.

Its not nice/friendly or even cool to single these signs made from decals out as bad. They are what they are, decals. From 5 feet they look great put your hands on it and you know.

Can we get back to admiring stuff that is posted or do we need to bash someone else now?

------------------
Scott Wright-
http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerine.htm

Scott Wright
#86053 Sun Oct 05 2008 08:30 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
You're correct Scott. I am 6 foot 2 and had admired that sign from this distance for years. Offered very good money for it, then I held it. Needless to say, I no longer stop by that office to admire THAT sign. Kind of a load off my chest too as I was always trying to get it.

#86054 Sun Oct 05 2008 09:14 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
"Blange how did I miss the boat by a long way??In your earlier post you stated that "Decal signs can never be passed off as orginals" I simply made mention that thats not true as I own two original decal signs.So I'm not sure what I missed?"

"Blange If you don't think they ever made orginal diecut signs with stickers on them your wrong"

Where in the hell did I ever say "I don't think they ever made them"????????? Just another example of someone reading a post and adding to what's not really there. Do you understand now or should I get the Crayola's out so "you" can understand????

Souperhigh you are right as ever my friend, just another post I wish I would of never opened on Oldgas.

BL

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#86055 Sun Oct 05 2008 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B. He probably got it when you said... (even though I'm sure you didn't mean it the way it was taken)

"Decal signs can never be passed off as an original."

I think some of you guys have taken this whole topic way too personally. Resorting to name calling and bashing the site really is no way effectively communicate your position.

The whole purpose of internet forums like this is to have discussions about topics such as this, so it's not really a bad thing. Just sorry Scott's thread got hijacked.

As previously posted, I see points on both sides and let's just have fun at the hobby.

[This message has been edited by Ohio Oil (edited 10-05-2008).]

#86056 Sun Oct 05 2008 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Blange I can see you can't have a disscussion without getting defensive so I geuss I'm done
Powerlube if you need a photo I'll post one,and I didn't think anyone is or are trying to make these signs out as bad.?

[This message has been edited by Petroholic (edited 10-05-2008).]

#86057 Sun Oct 05 2008 10:24 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Everyone missed the point, they are decals!!!!!!!! Does GPH, Scobbie, Seth or any of the other vendors make sure "all" of the decals they sell are dated? Well do they?????? We should all be up in arms because they sell decals that are not dated.

Yes I know they made decal signs,

Ohio don't think for others, it just pi**es them off.

Done with this, over, have fun.

BL

#86058 Sun Oct 05 2008 10:29 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Blange maybe read the post again and settle down.That statement wasn't directed at you!!Maybe you should get out the crayons and go go play by yourself.I love how defensive this got what a joke.

If it wasn't directed at me then why use my name?

LOL

See Ya,

BL

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved