Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#86059 Sun Oct 05 2008 10:35 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I am amazed I am being portrayed as an evil person. My goal was to have fun with this hobby and I do, freely sharing things with others. It just seemed silly to me how angry some get when you reproduce a classic sign. I have no desire for originals as they are chipped, rusted or otherwise damaged in most cases. A brand new high quality reproduction has value to me. Given a choice between patronizing one of the fine reproducers and buying original, I would go for repro as long as the quality is the same. Yes I make some signs myself, but does that make me a bad person? I have been looking for some Ocopep signs and globes for years now, and gave up. It will be a lot more fun and easier to silk screen my own globes and bake my own enamel signs for my personal use. The point I made is that I am not concerned if some purist collector is mad at me because after I am gone someone may try and pass it off as original. Unless you use scientific testing methods, or PERSONALLY know the history of an item there is no guarantee of where it came from. As for decals, I have personally seen Pure oil decals on my old pump under Union 76 and a Diesel sticker. Those of you who reproduce signs, parts or whatever have my respect and I will buy from you instead of chasing after originals that some are so enamored with.

Antique? It's new to me.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#86060 Sun Oct 05 2008 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"leave this site to the doom and gloom guys like Neil Gerrard and Tallrick"
What the hell did I do??? I've posted twice some comments that were not well received and many more that were questions that I needed answered. Leave me out of your arguements souperhigh.

#86061 Sun Oct 05 2008 12:47 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
THIS IS BETTER THAN CABLE.

#86062 Sun Oct 05 2008 06:41 PM
Online Cool
This has gone way too far.

Scott posted a Showcase topic about some items he had. Sorry your topic was turned into another discussion of unmarked reproductions. There is no doubt that many people have strong opinions about unmarked repros.

I don't understand why a few blame Oldgas.com because others disagree with them. Not everyone is going to agree on these issues. When it is taken personally and sarcastic replies are posted, things go downhill.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved