Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86332 Wed Jan 07 2009 08:51 PM
F
F John Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Back in May of 2008 I asked about the chrome plated spears on my Tokhiem 39A ( economy grade pump ). Couldn't find any, so I used the generic hose guards.

Similar to those on the higher grade pumps. I'm still using spray cans on my restorations, and have had the best luck using two cans at once, and trying to stay with Rustolium's" Painters touch " line. Dries faster, with quicker re-coat times, and I think a better overall finish.
The Tokhiem took forever. I repainted most the numbers in the calculator. I guess I won't do that again!!!

Also was inspired to restore this ECO air meter. Special thanks to Jack Sim for the ECO parts, and a great conversation. Also to Dennis Cline for replacing the internal parts in the air meter.

Also a special thanks to Ray Folsom of Paso Robles, CA.
You started this whole thing with me, and sold me the Visible
pump I restored a few years back.

Best wishes to you all in this new year.

F. John, in the Redwoods.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#86333 Wed Jan 07 2009 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There's nothing wrong with using Rustoleum.

http://www.oldgas.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001409#000000

And If thats how you did those pumps, lubester & airmeter, you've got plenty to be proud of.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#86334 Thu Jan 08 2009 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I used to use Martin Senior , ( N A P A ) all the time . In fact I used their primer to do my 1953 Ford panel delivery. I think I used about four cases to do the whole truck. I won second place in the first show too. Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
#86335 Fri Jan 09 2009 09:35 PM
F
F John Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the kind words.

It's funny how half the dings you think you fixed don't show up until you start to get a decent coat of paint on the thing.

Best wishes,

F. John

#86336 Sat Jan 10 2009 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
looks good i will have to try the spray paint method

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
#86337 Sat Jan 10 2009 07:25 AM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
It looks a lot better than the job my "body man" did on my pump. I see nothing wrong with rattle caning unless its a rare,valuable pump.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
#86338 Sat Jan 10 2009 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
F. John: pump looks great. In MY opinion I think the hobby in general has gone a little overboard in pump restorations. Most pumps when initially put in service were not show pieces.
Also...looks like you have a very nice place.
Thanks for sharing your pics with us.

#86339 Sat Jan 10 2009 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks GREAT!~

I have upgraded to Omni automotive paint (how ever that is spelled) becuse it last longer and does not fade so quickly. Plus it drys very fast, and is cheaper then buying lots of spray cans - it is about 30 bucks a gallon.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

#86340 Sat Jan 10 2009 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
looks real nice!!ive had good results with spray cans,and have just recently tried automotive paint.nice thing with a spraycan is alot less cleanup,no mixing.reason i tried auto stuff is its supposed to be much harder,and i know that if you just breath too hard on the spray can paint it scratches.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Originally Posted By: travis_towle
Looks GREAT!~

I have upgraded to Omni automotive paint (how ever that is spelled) because it last longer and does not fade so quickly. Plus it drys very fast, and is cheaper then buying lots of spray cans - it is about 30 bucks a gallon.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Could you mean $30 a quart?
Last time I bought Omni MTK single stage acrylic urethane, it cost me about $80 a gallon plus the hardener.

I just bought some PPG Shop-Line JAU single-stage Urethane in Texaco Red today and it was over $40 a quart plus the hardener.
Shop-Line is basically equivalent to Omni.

This paint sprays really nice with my Harbor Freight gravity touch-up gun. It's really easier to spray with than using a rattle can paint and the gloss is better too.

This is an economy paint for an automobile but a superb paint for a gas pump. Since it uses hardener, this paint is superior to even the best automotive lacquer or acrylic enamel. It's way, way better than any rattle can paint.

Rattle can paint for the insides is OK. But I recommend using acrylic urethane for the outside.
Try it guys. You will never go back.

By the way, I also use epoxy primer on all the outside parts.
You can't beat the price for the epoxy primer sold here:
Southern Polyurethanes
Not only is inexpensive, but it is probably the highest quality epoxy primer available.

Last edited by roger55; Mon Feb 16 2009 09:19 PM.
roger55 #131846 Tue Feb 17 2009 08:09 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
The pump looks great. Like Thunder said before you have plenty to be proud of smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved