Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Well, I'm freshly back from Santa Rosa after 360 miles and about 6 hours on the road today.

Here are the photos and my take on my first visit to this gas bash.

The location was outstanding, Fred Stokes has a nice open field for the vendors and parking so the space was great. He also has an impressive collection of oil cans, although he is selling them off and clearing them out. He also has tons of visible pumps. I'll get to some photos of his collection later.

I arrived at 8 pm on Thursday night and was treated to an outstanding dinner compliments of our chef Mrs. Roach. The Oldgas crowd hung out at the Roach's Coach and drank red winne and Firestone Beer until midnight. A good time was had by all, especially Hubba.

We all survived and here is the photo from the next morning to prove it.

From L to R Randy (marbles_signs), Gary (41Again), Ray (Hotcidr), Tom Stover, Ted & Pam Roach (Troach) and DJ Hubba kneeling (because he couldn't stand up).

Not pictured is Jeff (Aquaelvis) because he was as seen below.

Jeff is the youngest of the bunch and obviously the lightweight too!

We also got to meet T-Way and the Keeper later in the day. I captured them in some later photos.

Here's some of the stuff that was there.

C Cragg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
The attendance by sellers was pretty decent. Most of the trading happened between the dealers because the public never materialized in any great numbers. After trading all day Friday, none of us had much to talk about on Saturday. Actually we hung out most of the day Friday in the heat that was pushing 100. That night we were treated to an outstanding barbecue and look at an awesome collection of some of the finest west coast stuff that any of us has seen. Ted or Tom will have to tell you the name of our host, because despite eating his food I didn't get it down.

T-way's Keeper and Ted Roach's Keeper guarding the Hancock pump below. This visible still pumps gas and we got to see it in action!

This Motley Crew is made up of Oldgas geeks. From L to R, Mike Slama, Dave Bowman, Aquaelvis and T-Way hiding in the back. Some nice cans too.

C Cragg
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Good Job P.M.

More pics!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
great pics,Thank you for the show!

Got Socony???

Tom
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
Good Job Curt , lets have some more Come On ,Come On

Chris Holt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GREAT STUFF CURT! BUT IT AIN'T OVER 'TIL THE FAT LADY SINGS....OR THE SKINNY MAN POSTS MORE PICTURES IN THIS CASE!

DOC @ TAG.EAST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
Thanks Poorman for giving us a peek. Hubba, you look like you had a great time. Hair of the Dog.
REX LIKES GOOD TIMES

T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Sorry guys, I had to leave to go to a birthday party, but there's more.

Overall the gas bash was a great social event for the Oldgas gang. As far as selling stuff goes...well, could have been more buyers there. Definitely worth going for the barbecue and tour of the awesome tour in Petaluma though, so here's some more of that.

Lot's of incredible showcase pumps. I like showcase pumps!

I like twins too!

C Cragg
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Couple of nice signs at the bash.

One for Jim Potts

One for you marine guys too.

I was suprised at how few pumps were there. Not a lot of sales on pumps either. Here's one for Dick Bennett. I couldn't get him to sell me the top though.

C Cragg
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Gary wanted to see this Red Hat sign again and we all love neon.

Here are some real stinkers and rare pump plates too.

Very creative idea for displaying single lenses. There was a similar display of A-38 ad glasses on another wall that looked really good too.

San Francisco traffic light and walk sign. He has them on a remote control. Even has the bell that rings when the light turns.

Back to the gas bash, seems like more dealers are bringing their coaches along with them. We hung out at the Roach Coach, drank all of their wine, ate their food and consumed their beer. Probably be cheaper for them to stay in a hotel next time.

[This message has been edited by the poor mans museum (edited 06-05-2005).]

C Cragg
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Thanks for the pics Curt, great job, Happen to remember the price on the Marine Gasoline sign??

------------------

+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
Curt as always you did a great job, keep up the good work. Thanks a lot

Chris Holt
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Marine sign was two sided. Back was worse than the side you see. Started at 1700.00 and was down to 1400.00 on Saturday. One in similar condition sold on ebay recently around 3300.00 according to some Oldgassers at the show.

C Cragg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Curt great job. Mrs. Roach??? I was looking for my mother. The owner of the collection and host of the dinner was Ken Berge. Just a great guy and his wife is just as nice. You do a great job Curt. The food we provide is minimal for the social enjoyment and entertainment espcially Randy Gary and Hubba. Everyone sharded the bar bill so I have no complaints there. We ended up with beers in our ice chest I never had tried before. At leat until today. Still didn't get the camera out and uploaded. Soon I hope. Keep the pictures coming. Ted and Pam

------------------
troach
CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Freds was a great time as always...a little lite on the buyers this year but lots of cool stuff traded hands through vendors. It was great to meet Curt and hang out with everyone in the Lodi corner. my pasty PNW skin got some reddness but its all worth it. gotta remember my "Hollywood" Stover hat next time to keep the sun off my delicate skin...LOL. Thanks again everyone ..especially Ted, Pam and the beauty gal Ethyl..and Jeff for driving both ways non stop even though he wouldnt let me drive the super chevy. I got some parts for some of my pumps but didnt bring a whole pump home. Gary..the "mystery trim" are definatly not for a bennet 150 so young elvis and some others were mistaken...at least they wont fit my 150 skins. no worries they are smaller than 541 doors...LOL I am glad everyone made it home safe.

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 06-05-2005).]

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
C
CJ Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
PMM, SUPER COVERAGE. LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE HAD A SUPER TIME..............CJ

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
hubba: will refund the money, bring them in october. the 20 bux will pay elvis for the 541 doors and a nice bubble clock. thanks for the hoot!

T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Gee I wonder how hot it is in here?

In addition to an awesome west coast petro collection our host, Ken Berge also had an outstanding collection of soda related items and Foster Freeze stuff.

In the photo above you can see the A-38 glass displayed.

These photos are at Fred Stokes place, host of the gas bash. Got cans?

Fred's Signal station complete with a tanker parked behind it.

C Cragg
Thanks for all the pictures, especially that Nitro-Valspar sign and all the Oldgas guys. Awesome collection stuff too. Wow!

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some pics from bash.

From left to right. Jodi,Gary, Jim and Randy. Did you know Jodi has red hair????

Pam watching the space and fighting off buyers.

The other half of the space with Gary's and Randy's stuff.

Dave Doolittle with some very nice pumps. Two were sold.

------------------
troach
CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

This pump became mine. All original. The pump plates went home with Hubba.

A bunch of oldgas gas geeks. You know who they are.

Frank Jones and Turlock Bob shared a space.

------------------
troach
CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some more pics

At the dinner from left to right Carl Bomstead,Unknown,Jodi and Jim Treadway, Curt Cragg (poorman), Tom Stover and Pam Roach in front. In the back Hubba and Jeff Houston (Aquaelvis).Gary and Randy sitting behind as they should be.

Left to right Don Davis, Fred Stoke the bash host and I can't remember Fred's sidekick. Tom Stover knows him.

Ethyl loves Hubba.

Hubba on the magic carpet ride.

------------------
troach
CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

[This message has been edited by troach (edited 06-06-2005).]

[This message has been edited by troach (edited 06-06-2005).]

[This message has been edited by troach (edited 06-11-2005).]

Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The final shots I have to post.

This is my space near 4 p.m. on Friday. Seemed to be the spot to gather. Great time. Great weather for having fun.

Some nice signs and other stuff.
The next two pictures are Turlock Bob and Frank Jones stuff.

Only Jodi and Randy can explain this last picture. Had a great time and thanks to everyone at the bash.

------------------
troach
CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Stokes is, by far, the best bash on the west coast. Open space, lot's of time to just sit and talk and meet fellow collectors. Fred said this was the "last one" but I was told by troach that he is going to keep this going at Fred's property, for sure once a year and maybe the same twice a year. I'd hate to see this one end
Ray Seider

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Fred says that he will only keep it going if Tom Stover will help and wants to. When Tom gets back I'm sure you will hear it is going to be twice a year if the vendors want it and I believe they do. I heard a number of people saying they didn't do well but I know for a fact Gary and Landa from northern CA. did 7K in sales.(Wife corrected me and said I can't hear. What?) They wern't in any of the pictures because they stayed at their space and had tons of stuff and mostly not gas related. I did all right counting trades to Hubba and a couple other people along with sales would equal 1 K. I could care less as I am a COLLECTOR not DEALER. Until the next one. Ted

------------------
troach
CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

[This message has been edited by troach (edited 06-07-2005).]

Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
The social fun was worth the drive no matter what the sales were from my perspective. Just had a great time meeting fellow Oldgassers and hanging out as Ray said. Also the tour of Ken's collection made it worth the weekend too.

As long as Pam Roach is cooking, I'll be there!

C Cragg
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
THANKS FOR THE PICTURES TED LOOKS LIKE EVERYBODY HAD A GREAT TIME.........
REX LIKES SHOWS

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
As long as Fred lets us use his place, we'll keep doing bashes. Joyce (Fred's better half) might have some input, but I told her to take a vacation when we do either the fall or next years' June show. The fellow that Ted mentioned sitting by Don Davis & Fred is Doug Walraven. Fred & I couldn't have done the show without Doug's help. Doug had some outstanding signs in his space & said it was his best show ever at Fred's. Don't know what happened to the "buyers", Fred ran ads in all the local papers, etc. Sometimes it's hard to tell how many people are really there because it's kinda spread out. We'll keep tossing idea's around & see what happens. I didn't hear too many complaints, mainly compliments so I guess we're doing a pretty good job.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Glad you made it home Tom. You and Fred and everyone else do a super job. If I only attend two bashes a year it would be these two. Pam and I have so much fun and enjoy all the people and the Washington people especially. If it weren't so wet we would live there. Ted and Pam

------------------
troach
CA.
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Ted,

I think I'll plead the fifth on that last picture - to protect the innocent (or in this case the guilty)

I will say that we had a great time at the show! Everyone was wonderful! Ted and Pam, thank you for your hospitality - I don't know what we would have done without your shade on those hot days. It was good to finally be able to put faces with names on all you West Coasters - it was nice meeting everyone. Hubba, it was great seeing you again! Jim and I are already talking about making it out for the show again in the future.

Have a great day, everyone!

Jodi

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved