Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86655 Sat Aug 14 2004 12:58 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I bought one of the signs Gary Drye had on ebay and drove down to his place to get it. I was checking out all the cool stuff and was looking at the Phillips Unique on wide body capco when i noticed 1 lens is busted. Gary didn't know it till I told him... I didn't even touch it because you all know how my luck has been going with globes. I told Gary it most likely did that when I pulled up the drive. Thanks Gary for the sign and sorry to be the one to tell you about the globe. Hope insurance works out for you!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#86656 Sat Aug 14 2004 02:23 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jarvis....

"I told Gary it most likely did that when I pulled up the drive........"

What are you running in your ride?
A full race cam with open headers,
or one of those full-out bass stereos
like the kids are listening to these days?

Sinclair Joe
#86657 Sat Aug 14 2004 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We throw a party the night before the Peotone swap meet in October..........I just un-invited Jarvis. LOL. I don't want any broken globes.
I told him he could come to the party if he left that dark cloud thats been following him around someplace else.

All kidding aside, its a sad day when any original globe gets broken. Not sure what caused Gary's globe to get broken, but most breakage happens during shipping. Poor packaging accounts for most breakage followed by rough handling (one well known shipping company seems to be able to break anything).
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#86658 Mon Aug 16 2004 04:37 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I talked to Gary today and after I left he decided to look at all his other globes and found another one broke. This hurts! It is crazy that these can break just sitting there doing nothing. If these break so easy in a garage imagine how they ever made it out in the elements.

#86659 Mon Aug 16 2004 08:25 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Something sounds a bit odd...
I've had globes in a garage for years with no damage (at least so far)
Anyone else have these kind of problems?

Sinclair Joe
#86660 Tue Aug 17 2004 03:52 AM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sinclair Joe, I have heard of people taking globes from the house to the barn and tempature change breaking globes. Most of the ones that crack go from 3 to 6 or notch to notch pretty much but for 1 to break from 6 to 12 is weird. I guess i need to check mine in the barn and make sure they are fine. You know we have had some weird weather cool and hot.

#86661 Tue Aug 17 2004 03:57 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
One lens on a glass body broke sideway from mounting screw to screw. The Unique on capco broke from top to bottom. It was shipped assembled in its original box (but double boxed) via UPS and SURVIVED. If a globe can make a trip with UPS it SHOULD survive a nuclear blast! I have been talking with Scott B. and he has NEVER heard of a lens cracking from top to bottom. Always across. There is no drastic temp changes or excessive vibrations (that I am aware of). No animals present to move among them. It's definetly a mystery. Which leads me to believe there really is a "Jarvis Jinx"! LOL

#86662 Tue Aug 17 2004 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gary,
I agree....If a globe can make a trip with UPS it SHOULD survive a nuclear blast!
It's gotta be the "Jarvis Jinx".
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#86663 Tue Aug 17 2004 08:04 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jarvis...
Gotta agree on the hot/cold thing. Whenever I moved a globe from the house to the garage, I wrapped the thing up in a blanket like it was a newborn baby! The garage was heated, so that wasn't too much of a concern, but going from inside to outside can spell trouble. Hope Gary has better luck in the future...Joe.

Sinclair Joe
#86664 Tue Aug 17 2004 04:57 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sinclair Joe, The thing is Gary was checking his other globes and found the second one. It was a back lens that you don't see. I need to go check mine i guess.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved