Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#86665 Sun Sep 02 2007 11:39 AM
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
The company of the month for September, 2007 is Ashland Oil. I worked for Ashland from 1971 to 1979, so in addition to my Mobil-related stuff, I have a few items from Ashland, Valvoline, and Freedom. Here's a list of companies and brands that became part of Ashland over the years:

Swiss Oil
Tri State
National (white Rose)
White Rose/Mid West Refining
Aetna
Frontier Refining
Freedom
Valvoline
Independent Quality Service
Dance
Payless
Superamerica
Oskey Brothers (North Star)
Red Head
Southern Oil
Hood
Tresler
Cincinnati Oil Works
Union Oil Company (Cincinnati,OH)
Pyroil

I'm by no means an expert on Ashland, but I'll be posting a little information on their history and pictures of the globes, signs, cans, and maps in my collection. For this COTM feature to even come close to last's month's great one on Conoco, you folks will need to pitch in by adding pictures of your Ashland-related items and any history you might have on any of the companies listed above.

So........here's some globes to start things off:

If you have pictures but don't know how to post them, send them to me via the email icon above and I'll get them posted for you.

Richard

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

#86666 Sun Sep 02 2007 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's the glass version of the Flying Octanes with the green lettering, but no Ethyl:

Wes

#86667 Mon Sep 03 2007 11:37 AM
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Following is a brief history of Ashland Oil as it appeared on their website around 2002. The current website for "Ashland, Inc." doesn't include this information.....I suspect that's because Ashland now calls itself a "diversified chemical company".......it no longer owns any oil and gas related businesses.

1924: Paul G. Blazer named general manager of Ashland Refining Company of Ashland, KY., a refining arm of Swiss Oil Company of Lexington. Principal operation is a small refinery in Catlettsburg, KY.

1930: Purchase of Tri-State Refining Company increases capacity to 5,500 barrels per day.

1931: Acquisition of Cumberland Pipeline Company's eastern Kentucky pipeline network assures adequate supply of crude oil.

1936: Under Blazer's leadership, Ashland Refining merges with Swiss Oil to form Ashland Oil & Refining Company.

1942: As part of the government's World War II effort, an aviation gasoline plant is built near the Catlettsburg refinery. The aviation fuel plant later becomes Ashland's No. 2 refinery.

1946: Products are sold for the first time under the brand name "Ashland".

1948: Ashland and Allied Oil merger includes Canton, Ohio, refinery and a broader marketing base.

1949: Through Aetna Oil merger, Ashland acquires Kentucky retail marketing operation. Freedom-Valvoline merger follows, bringing Valvoline, the oldest brand motor oil, and a third refinery at Freedom, Pa.

1950: Frontier Oil Refining of Buffalo, N.Y., and National Refining of Cleveland, Ohio, join Ashland. These acquisitions result in two additional refineries and a Great Lakes marketing area for Ashland.

1956: Marketing success of specialty products focuses attention on petrochemicals. Operation expands with acquisition of R. J. Brown Company of St. Louis.

1963: United Carbon acquisition increases involvement in chemical and petrochemical businesses.

1966: Ashland enters the highway construction and construction materials business with the acquisition of Warren Brothers.

1967: With purchase of ADM Chemical Group, Ashland Chemical is formed, consolidating chemical manufacturing and sales operations.

1968: Ashland's sales surpass $1 billion annually.

1969: Ashland Petroleum, the company's largest operating division, is formed. Arch Mineral, a 50-percent-owned coal affiliate, is formed.

1970: Shareholders approve changing company's name to Ashland Oil, Inc. Northwestern Refining of St. Paul, Minn., is acquired, adding a refinery and the SuperAmerica retail marketing chain.

1971: Exploration and production activities consolidated into Ashland Exploration.

1973: OPEC dramatically increases prices of petroleum products. Ashland Exploration enters a production-sharing agreement with Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.

1975: Construction division is formed, and Ashland Coal is created.

1981: New corporate strategy is adopted to strengthen refining and marketing, improve the balance sheet and build earnings from related, non-refining businesses. Ashland is reorganized as a modified holding company.

1983: RCC® Process unit at Catlettsburg refinery provides greater flexibility of crude oil slate and product mix.

1986: Ashland forms Employee Stock Ownership Plan.

1990: The $92 million acquisition of OXY USA Inc.'s Appalachian Basin natural gas properties more than doubles acreage in the area.

1991: Ashland nearly triples its domestic crude oil gathering capacity through the acquisition of The Permian Corporation and its merger with Scurlock Oil Company.

1992: Ashland Chemical acquires most of Unocal's chemical distribution business, establishing the IC&S Division as the No. 1 distributor of chemicals and solvents in North America. Ashland's annual sales surpass $10 billion for the first time.

1993: Ashland Petroleum completes the major portion of a refinery capital expenditure program that enhances refining flexibility, further reduces emissions and enables the company to make new fuels.

1994: Ashland celebrates its 70th anniversary. Valvoline acquires Zerex, the nation's No. 2 brand of antifreeze.

1995: Ashland invests more than $368 million in 14 acquisitions to strengthen its related energy and chemical businesses. In addition, shareholders approve changing the company's name to Ashland Inc. to better reflect the company's diverse operations.

1997: Ashland signs definitive agreement with Marathon to combine the two companies' refining, marketing and transportation assets. Ashland sells its domestic oil and gas properties for $566 million, and the company's two coal investments merge to form Arch Coal, Inc.

1998: Marathon Ashland Petroleum LLC begins operation Jan. 1. Ashland owns 38 percent of this joint-venture company, the nation's sixth largest refiner. Valvoline acquires Eagle One Industries of Carlsbad, Calif., a producer and marketer of premium automotive appearance products. APAC acquires the Missouri-based Masters-Jackson group of construction companies, significantly improving competitive strength in Midwest markets. Arch Coal acquires ARCO's coal properties, increasing reserves and doubling production volumes.

1999: Ashland's headquarters moves to Covington, Ky., as the company observes its 75th anniversary. Ashland forms two new divisions - Ashland Distribution Company and Ashland Specialty Chemical Company - from its largest wholly owned business, Ashland Chemical Company. Later that year, Ashland completed a tender offer for Superfos a/s, a Denmark-based industrial company, retaining only the portion of the business related to U.S. construction operations. Ashland also announced plans to explore strategic alternatives for its investment in Arch Coal.

2000: Ashland's board approves a plan to distribute a majority of Ashland Inc's shares in Arch Coal Inc. to Ashland's shareholders.

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
#86668 Tue Sep 04 2007 08:25 PM
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Here's a picture of Sam Cooper's ("Savinsam") Freedom Oil items:

GREAT globe Sam!!!! That's one I've never seen before. Since you showed me yours, I'll show you mine..........

Now wouldn't those two look good sitting side-by-side!!!

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
#86669 Wed Sep 05 2007 05:45 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Since this thread is about Ashland, I assume you want stuff from the other companies at the time of merger and later?

------------------

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
#86670 Wed Sep 05 2007 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great globes!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#86671 Wed Sep 05 2007 10:59 AM
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Any items or information from any of the companies listed, covering time periods BEFORE or AFTER they became part of Ashland would be appropriate as far as I'm concerned......unless maybe if the company has already had it's own COTM sometime in the past. Don't know if that's the case with any of the companies listed above.

So SuperAmericaMan........this threads for you........bring it on!!!

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
#86672 Wed Sep 05 2007 06:16 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have never seen a real SA globe, If someone knows of one please let me know.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SuperAmerica Man (edited 09-05-2007).]

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
#86673 Thu Sep 06 2007 03:55 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Shot with HP pstc3100 at 2007-09-06

SuperAmerica, Ashland, Independent maps

I always am interested in a company marketing area ? I only remember seeing 2 Ashland stations in Michigan and one of them was only for short time, it later marketed using the Independent brand.
As I got into to petroleum transportation I found that Ashland had a pipeline terminal in Michigan. They didn't have a strong wholesale market in the area at the time that I knew of. Was Ashland planning on expanding there branded stations in Michigan?

#86674 Thu Sep 06 2007 10:51 AM
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Nice maps, Dave........thanks for posting them. Ashland's expertise from the outset was in refining, and you'll notice in the "history" post above they were in existence for 22 years before they started marketing under their own name. When I worked for them in the 1970's, their marketing area for the Ashland brand was mostly Kentucky, West Virginia, and Ohio. I doubt there were serious plans to expand much into Michigan. Thru acquisitions they expanded their retailing operations, but didn't seem to be quick to re-brand the stations. They thought of themselves as a large independent oil company that sold most of their refinery output to other independents. Ashland did own an extensive network of pipelines and terminals.....mostly to move refined products to key sales areas. After They aquired the Superamerica brand in 1970, there was a major effort to expand that brand and the new-at-the-time concept of a "convenience store" station. That idea caught on BIG TIME......now almost every gas station is a convenience store as well.....no matter what brand of gasoline they sell. Ashland is largely responsible for that industry change.

Richard

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
#86675 Thu Sep 06 2007 03:31 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Here's a bit of trivia for this Ashland thread...

J. Howard Marshall was named President of Ashland Oil in 1944. He would later hold executive positions in other oil companies and establish his own enterprises. And of course, Mr. Marshall would later marry Anna Nicole Smith in 1995 at the "young" age of 89!!

Inquiring minds want to know!!

#86676 Thu Sep 06 2007 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some 5 quart cans I think Galena is part of Ashland also thanks Don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
#86677 Thu Sep 06 2007 08:04 PM
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Gotta love all those Bulldogs!!! Nice cans Don.

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas
#86678 Fri Sep 07 2007 12:49 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Shot with HP pstc3100 at 2007-09-07

Tresler-Comet, Red Head & Frontier of New York maps. I think the tank wagon on the Frontier map is neat.

#86679 Fri Sep 07 2007 11:53 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Not old but nice !!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved