Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
You

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 01-15-2004).]

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Super Job Doc...Looks great. Hey Dwainey...thanks for HTH my friend...atta boys all around.
-------------------------------
Hubba, gas geek , oil freak

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Thanks Hub. sorry I'm a little late on this but Congradulations on your 1.000 posts . I'm only 411 off he he .

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks tubbyduck..hehehehe

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Nice Job on an Awesome sign!!

G
G
The Sign looks GREAT!!! What kind of paint did you use? I've been toying with the idea of using silk screen ink to touch small chips,I'll post if it works. Jerry

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jerry - As a Hobbyist sign painter I have alot of 1/2 pint cans of acrylic and poly paints around. When I mixed the touch up colors for this project, I was actually on the phone not really concentrating on my mix (I used poly) keeping in mind to mix a lighter shade since most paints dry darker than when they are first applied. The next day I couldn't believe how well I mixed the shade of Off-White and how nicely it dried. The sign almost looks perfect even as close as 6 feet away!
I find that acrylic paints don't dry as glossy as the porcelain. Try your silk-screen inks
first. With porc signs I always test it in a unhurt area and then wipe it off or scraped it off later once dried.
-----DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE WEST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks great Doc. I couldn't get to it, so I asked my buddy Dwaine to post your pics.

I'd like to hear what the serious sign collectors think about touching up signs.
Is it a good idea?
Does it help or hurt value?
Would you buy a sign that you knew has been touched up?
At what point is a sign too far gone to be restored? At some point it seems it would cross a line between being a restored original and a repaint.

One things for certain. If you are selling a sign, globe, or even a desireable can thats been touched up or restored you should let the buyer know.

My guess is it depends if you're collecting for the enjoyment of owning the sign, or if you're collecting as an investment. I know guys that wouldn't buy a touched up or restored sign for anything. I think they're missing out on some great signs.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
THANKS, BOB! FOR YOUR INPUT(& DWAINE FOR POSTING). WHILE MOST OF YOU GUYS SEEM TO LIKE THE JOB I DID ON 70 YEAR OLD SOCONY...IT WASN'T MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT SIGN RESTO. WHILE I TRY NOT TO PAY ALOT
FOR ANY SIGN, THERE ARE ALWAYS THOSE HARSHLY HURT UNIQUE "HOW OFTEN AM I GONNA SEE THAT ONE AGAIN" TYPE EXAMPLES VS. THEIR PRICE (USUALLY CONSIDERABLY CHEAP) THAT MAKE ME AS A SIGN RESTORER REACH FOR MY WALLET.
SURE FURTHER ON DOWN THE "SIGNS OF THE TIMES ROAD" WHILE LOOKING ALMOST MINT, IT WOULD HAVE TO BE SOLD AS A RESTORED SIGN. THAT IS USUALLY WHY I LEAVE ONE SIDE UNRESTO'D BECAUSE ME AND INCLUDING EVERY ONE ELSE WHO HAS SIGNS HANGING AROUND THEIR PLACES CAN DISPLAY ONLY ONE SIDE OF A SIGN ANYWAY. I DID IT FOR MYSELF
AND AS A COLLECTOR. I'D BE HAPPY GETTING BACK WHAT CASH I PUT INTO IT IF NEED BE. BUT HOW SHOULD A
SIGN BUYER CONSIDER HOW FAR GOONE A SIGN SHOULD BE? WELL ANY SIGN IS GOOD AS LONG AS IT'S FREE!
BUT IF PAYMENT IS NEEDED....DON'T BUY ANY OLD SIGNS THAT ARE SO BEAT UP AND RIDDLED WITH HOLES AND DENTS. THESE ARE BARN HANGERS! SOMETHING YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT IN THE WEATHER AND
HAS SOME PERSONALITY. I WOULDN'T BUY A SIGN THAT'S SO BAD IT WOULD NEED A MIXER TRUCK DELIVERING
SPOT PUTTY OR BONDO! I'VE SEEN REAL BAD RESTO'S ON REALLY HURT SIGNS AT CARLISLE WITH BIG PRICES...I USUALLY LAUGH AND WALK AWAY!

-----DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE.

[This message has been edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE (edited 12-15-2003).]

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Great job Doc!!!! Matching colors is tough!! I have an Associated "GAS" sign that's been hit numerous times but the price was right. My friend took the sign to the auto paint store and the gal matched the colors on their computer. We'll see how close she got them. Thanks for the info on your restoration. Guys that help the hobby by sharing info like you are PRICELESS!!!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved