Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87158 Tue Jun 24 2003 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A while back you guys were discussing what you collected other than petro items. Well, I collect older toys too, but I love the ones that are related to "Petro". Here are a couple of toys I have that I really like. You know, the ones that I'll still own when I die. The first is a "Distler" made in Germany about 1931 Tanker truck. This piece is amazing! Look at the original paint and lithograph. It has headlites that operate by battery power. Check out the detail including the spout mechanism on the rear. This is one of those items that "I bought too soon". Paid lots of money for it when I found it in England at a store called "Mint and Boxed". They've since gone out of business.

This second item is a great old gas island. I can't find a makers name on it, but it is marked "Made in Germany". This would pre-date the similar islands made by "Marx". Again, it sports the original paint and lithograph, and the patina is just wonderful. It has some of the old "spiderwebbing" age lines, and is a beauty. Note the Names of the pumps "Pratt" "B.P", and the original globes are wonderful. I did have to replace the one that says "Gas", but the other two are original to this piece. For those of you who don't know, the globes lite up and are battery powered from inside the box on the island. Many times this box will be very corroded. This particular toy is mint! I purchased this toy from the collection of "Toby Halicki" who was the writer, producer, director,actor of "Gone in 60 seconds". (The first one) He later died in while making a film in New York. His Estate auction was amazing. Three days of great stuff, including an old Geo Barris Mercury, lots of signs, gas pumps, and of course toys. He made a killing on the movie, and spent lots of it on toys. Well, I've done my share of educating, sharing, bragging. Hope you enjoy.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 06-24-2003).]

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 06-24-2003).]

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

#87159 Tue Jun 24 2003 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
TOOO Coool Don - thanks for the peek.
---------------------------------------------
Hubba Hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#87160 Tue Jun 24 2003 05:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
THIS WAS NOT A TOY,, BUT I FOUND A GALVINIZED GAS CONTAINER,, ABOUT 15-20 GALLONS.. IT HAD AN VERY , VERY,OLD RED CROWN GASOLINE DECAL ON IT..[LIKE THE ONES YOU SEE ON OLD HORSE DRAWN FUEL WAGONS] IT WAS IN A GARAGE OF A PLACE BUILT IN THE TEENS.. THE GUY WASN'T TO EXCITED ABOUT SELLING IT.. WHAT ARE WE TALKIN HERE?? ANY INPUT?? FRANK..

#87161 Tue Jun 24 2003 10:01 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
VERY NICE DOC YOU GOT A GOOD EYE,LOVE THAT T/W BEST ONE I HAVE EVER SEEN,THANKS FOR SHARING REX

#87162 Wed Jun 25 2003 01:03 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
hey doc.... beautiful stuff !!!... i remember seeing an article, i think in one of them automobilia magazines, of when tobys auction went down... yup... he had some toys !!!

#87163 Thu Jun 26 2003 08:11 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Don , that truck that I have what brand is it? star craft? they were made for promotional givaways also , by Richfield , and others, you need to do a thing on add toys, I'm sure theres guys out there that would love to show there old toy stations, truck, and other givaways , git it done.

#87164 Thu Jun 26 2003 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Dwaine, I remember being blown away by your tanker, but I can't seem to find the photo in here to start my research. Hey, you have nearly 1k post and as I recall Sunset Tanker wasn't in the heading to search. Post another photo so we can all see it again !

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
#87165 Thu Jun 26 2003 03:25 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Heres my truck agin, Richfield gavaway this same truck , the old timer told me that when you opened your distributor ship , the company gave you this truck , but this one came from the opening of his Seaside bulk plant in 1938 an ran it until 1972, one toy collector told me the name once but 57, pull up your zipper. I think it was the, star craft toy co, I find these toys once in awhile at street fairs but man there high, and most of them no tires, thats the main thing to look for, 1923-1925 open cab truck, solid rubber tires , on them old roads man what a "Ride with Seaside",

#87166 Thu Jun 26 2003 08:28 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Looks like a Steelcraft, DB. sweeeeeet!

Don, your stuff's primo too!

Makes my Russian tin gas station look like a K-Mart reject...........
Is there anything cool you guys don't collect??

multi-car mike

#87167 Thu Jun 26 2003 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Dwaine, I agree with Mike, it looks like a "Steel Craft" to me. Other major toy mfg's of that vintage that did the pressed steel trucks were "Buddy L" and "Keystone". My opinion from this side of the monitor, is Steelcraft.
Great piece ! Anyone have one of the Richfield trucks they'd like to share?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
#87168 Fri Jun 27 2003 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don , I love those toys! The pumps and island are so cool! I want to add that Toby Halicki did his own stunts that was how he died. Have you seen his other movie "Junkman" I remember it either starting out or ending with a overview of his toy collection. What an amazing collection of cool toys!

Rob

------------------

Link Copied to Clipboard

Support the expenses of Oldgas.com. Thanks!

Copyright © 2024 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved