Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87360 Sat May 21 2005 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hey guys,

I went driving today, and ran across some neat things. Here's the mini-tour...

First, I found this old pump on a farm. I'm compemplating whether to attempt to get it. Looks pretty complete:

Then, I came across this neat old icebox station. I think it was a Gulf, but I could be mistaken. The panels are pristeen!

Here's a closeup of where some signage/lettering was:

Here's a pic of the back - check out the cool door graphics:

This light would be nice to have if restoring or replicating a station too...:

Ok, so, now I moved on down the highway, and then came across this awesome old Texaco. It's still open, too (just no gas)!

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
And then... I took a tiny highway to an old mining town, and spotted a 30s Gulf station, now open as a generic gas station. (Sorry, was too excited to get pics, but station itself was unimpressive). The place looked junky, so I drove down the alley behind it. Then, I saw it -- an old island light! I drove back around front, and went inside to inquire. The lady working there didn't know if it was for sale, but I left my number, and went home. The phone rang 30min later, and, to make a long story short, I made an offer and the guy accepted it. I went back just before dark and got it. Here it is at my house:

It likely was the actual island light for the Gulf station, and was cut down at some point and welded to this old 30s car rim. It has a 2-prong plug on the cord. I figure it was used in the service bay as a lamp, possibly.

It looks like it fell over at some point in its life and was bent up. I plan to straighten it out. I haven't decided whether or not to sandblast and paint the rim and pole.

I was just excited that, after sitting in the weeds, sunken into the dirt, the thing worked when I dragged it home

Happy gassing!
Wes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GREAT STORY AND PHOTO COVERAGE WES AND A NEAT LITTLE FIND. I LIKE YOUR "OLDSKOOL" AMC ROADTRIP WAGON. YOU SHOULD PAINT ON THE REAR WINDOW "RUSTBUSTERS" OR "RUSTHUNTERS OF THE PETROLIANA KIND!" AND YOUR PHONE #!!!
I'VE BEEN TEMPTED TO DO THAT ON MY PT'S REAR WINDOW. HEY - IT'S GOT TO BE BETTER THAN NOT HAVING ANYTHING AT ALL!
THANKS FOR SHARING! SEE YOU AND YOUR BUY IN BOTW LATER!!??

DOC @ TAG/EAST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Thermactor, your just having too much fun with this petro stuff. Great trip and cool scores. But if that old AMC is your hunting vehicle, you might want to hook up with St Louis Mikey for lessons in pump transportation... LOL

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Doc and Thunder! Yeah, I do love my Eagle! I dunno about the painting though... I like to be discreet

Thunder - I honestly think I could fit a computer pump in the AMC if I fold the seats down. It would be tight, but I think it'd go... I havent been lucky enough yet to get to try...

BTW, driving around today I saw these two farm pumps. I asked about them, and they're still in use - not for sale. I think I have dibs if they ever get retired though...

And then there's this OLD station, I think it might have been a Mobil, but thats a wild guess by the sign hanger...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved