Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9005 Thu Mar 31 2005 11:13 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I bought a Bennett 76 and the guy broke the face trim or outer casting frame in 3 pieces moving it in his garage the day I picked it up. I have all the pieces but don't know of what would be the best way to try and but it back togather; it looks to be made of pot metal. Does anyone know of what would work? I haven't been able to find another frame either.
Thanks Greg

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#9006 Thu Mar 31 2005 12:08 PM
M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Greg,

Welcome to the site!

Go buy some JB Weld at your local hardware store. It takes a while to set up and get hard, but it should be pretty strong once it's fully cured (let it sit for about 48 hours before handling).

If you don't want to do that, keep checking in on the site. I'm sure someone will have the face trim that they could sell you.

If you're looking for pictures of your pump, go to the "pictures" link on the main page and look at the gas pump image album. Should give you some great restoration ideas. This is a great site. Again, welcome to the site. Have fun!

Mac

#9007 Thu Mar 31 2005 12:35 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Greg, try Mac's idea as I believe you are right about them being potmetal. They can be welded, but you would have to find someone (an old timer) that knows what he is doing. Forget about trying to find another original. These are probably about the most sought after trim pieces out there and none are reproduced at this time.

#9008 Thu Mar 31 2005 04:37 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Go to http://www.muggyweld.com I have never tried this stuff but it looks very interesting. They say anyone can repair pot metal easily with their product. Watch some of there videos. They do make it look quite easy. And yes Gary is right on the rarity of these frames. It seems like everyone has a 76/77 broken Bezel story. It took me two years to find a set for my 77.
Jeff

#9009 Thu Mar 31 2005 08:27 PM
R
R
The stuff works. We just got done repairing a bunch of pieces for the chrome shop. All the pieces have to be free from contamination. I'll bead blast whatever we are repairing. Then grind a v on the pieces. Jig it up so it don't move. The key with this stuff is the flux and temperature. Preheat the work with a propane torch (350 degrees) for about 15 seconds, holding the torch at about 5 or 6 inches away. Then apply the flux. Heat it until it turns root beer brown then apply the filler. If everything is right the filler flows right in the joint. Then let it cool. It sounds easy but it took us a while to figure this stuff out. But it does work. Its kinda like tig welding aluminum. You can't see when the parent material is ready, you just got to know when its ready. Call and talk to Mike Muggy, he has always been very helpful.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved