Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have seen these pressed tin signs sell for $100 and as cheap as $10. Are they real or reproduction or an old reproduction??????

Thanks for the help in advance.

Scott in Kansas City
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dc28b3127cceb815945151260000004610[/img]

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GOOD QUESTION....I'D LIKE TO KNOW THE ANSWER TOO!
THE OBVIOUS (& NOT ALWAYS THE) ANSWER WOULD BE....WHY WOULD ANYONE REPRODUCE SUCH A SMALL NAME BRAND? INTERESTING TO KNOW.

DOC @ T.A.G.W.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott,
I bought one at a flea market for $7 a few years ago. The seller wasn't sure if it was an original or repro. Neither was I. I stopped to look at some signs another vendor had and he said "thats a nice repro sign". I asked how he knew it was a repop. He said because the mounting holes were too small.(they were much smaller than the holes in the sign pictured above) So I held it next to some of his original signs that had the same size holes. I sold it on ebay and stated that I didn't know if it was an original or not. It sold for $25. My guess is the buyer wasn't sure either.

I do know that sign was reproduced in porcelain. I'm not sure about the embossed tin sign like that one though. If it turns out its the real deal I'm gonna wish I had kept mine.

Bob

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 02-09-2004).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm betting my money that it's a repop. The reason they used this unknown company is because of the scenery on the can. They aren't reproduced to fool anybody. They're just decorators!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved