Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9121 Thu Jan 08 2004 09:43 PM
D
docz28 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have a G&B 176 visible pump that I am restoring. It currently has a TriGas "Red Hat" Gasoline decal on it. I would like to restore it back to original. Is there anywhere I can find out information about the Trigas company and how they did up their pumps?

If I cannot find the information, is it a sin to restore it to another company's pump decor such as Texaco?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#9122 Thu Jan 08 2004 09:57 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Hey z. you can do anything you want with it, but trying to find pictures of a company thats been gone a long time is hard. if you did it wouldn't be in color. I don't think. but it your pump have fun with it. do it to a company of your choice. good luck.

#9123 Fri Jan 09 2004 06:16 AM
Could you mean the Tri-Star gas brand that used the Red Hat logo? Here is a repro decal with that logo:

This logo was used by IOMA Independent Oilmen's Assoc. of Chicago from 1926-1932. Standard Oil sued claiming infringement on their Red Crown logo and won. IOMA used an eagle logo after 1932. Vintage Red Hat signs are very collectable.
(Info from the book Guide to Gasoline Logos)

If the existing decal is not good enough to keep, go ahead and restore it the way you want. A historic preservationist would cringe if you changed it, but it is your pump for you to enjoy.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#9124 Fri Jan 09 2004 09:39 AM
D
docz28 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks so much for the info and yes I meant TriStar and not TriGas. I have attached some picture (I hope)and welcome opinions on whether to restore or leave alone. I would like to find some info on the correct color and decor of the TriStar pumps. As you can see mine is red but I do not know if that is correct or not. Thanks again.

#9125 Fri Jan 09 2004 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OH My God...That pump is Beautiful as is. Just clean her up and add a Globe and its done. Man that decal is in great shape...DONT Touch Docz28. Its Beautiful. Good originals are becoming hard to come by. Yours is too nice to restore. Thanks for the peek

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#9126 Fri Jan 09 2004 09:52 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Hey Z. leave it alone. just wipe it down with a paint restorer . armerall or something. put a repo globe on it and wa-laa.
just my opinion. or take it apart and risk breaking the glass . its yours. have fun.

#9127 Fri Jan 09 2004 10:01 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Change the contains lead sign, try touching up the decal a bit or leave it, wax the paint a bit, any rusty area clean up with steel wool, if that leaves bare metal put some oil on a rag and wipe and rub that area to protect it.

Or take it all apart , pay 200-600 to paint it, stumble around it for 6 months to a year, then get it all together, stand back and look at it. Now dont say we didnt warn you if you look at it and say, "I think I liked it better or just as much before!"

Enjoy your pump..dodogas

#9128 Fri Jan 09 2004 10:03 AM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
There are plenty of pumps that need resto. I would find one of those if you want a nice, indoor pump. That one looks good, just leave it.
Hubba should get a hat like that to wear at the gas bashes!

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#9129 Fri Jan 09 2004 10:33 AM
D
docz28 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for all the opinions. I would like to get it in working order unless that is a stupid idea. I have classic corvettes (1958 & 1967) that require high octane fuel. They run well if you mix about 5 gallons of racer or avaition fuel and then top off with high octane unleaded. I was hoping to have this pump take gas out of a 55 gallon drum into the bowl then into a corvette. The glass is cracked and shot up so that would be replaced. I could leave the skins alone and just try to restore the plumbing. Is this a dumb idea or would replacing the shot up glass be the wrong thing to do? Is there anywhere to get replacement cylinders that are glass that look original?

#9130 Fri Jan 09 2004 10:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great pump! I would leave it just the way it is, Jeff's right, there are a lot of pumps that need restoration that one is just great the way it is though. Of course you do what you like, these are just our opinions. If you would like a globe to put on top, I will have a Limited Edition 15" Red Hat available by the end of the month. If you would like to see a picture, click on the link below to go to my website.

------------------
Lance
pogogas@telus.net
www.pogogas.com

#9131 Fri Jan 09 2004 10:44 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
If the cylinder is already cracked it could get worse messing with it, might be better to leave it.

If you want to actually pump gas even outside your building and you want to continue any kind of insurance coverage, it could get real sticky.. sorta may not be worth it in the long run. worth considering..dodogas

#9132 Fri Jan 09 2004 11:10 AM
F
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
F
Wow!! I agree with Hubba. Don't touch that pump. Leave it just the way it is.. patina and all. Order a globe from Lance (pogogas), stick it in a corner, and enjoy.
Good original pumps like yours are hard to come by. Just my 2 cents worth.

------------------
Frank

Frank
#9133 Fri Jan 09 2004 01:39 PM
H
H
Z- leave it as is!!looks way too cool already, go with the repo globe from lance and enjoy....my 2 cents-greg

#9134 Fri Jan 09 2004 08:03 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I'd leave that pump alone as suggested but an easy way to pump your fuel is to aqquire a little gasboy pump for 100-200 dollars at a local show. I have friends that use em to fill tractors. They are very light and can run off a 110vac cord. Most guys just set em on a small pad like you get for the air conditioner compressor.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved