Print Thread
#91736 Sun Aug 10 2003 11:31 AM
D
dodogas Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Just wondering what the closest to home is that you have found pumps, i am sure a few guys got them from neighbors or at places they moved into..now that is close!!
My closest pump is a 6ft Bowser came from behind a house our family lived in , it was about 4-500 ft away , you could see it out the window it was at the district irrigation yard.. Next closest was a Bowser handcrank about a 1/3 of a mile from the house, guy used to use it to fill up the schoolbus.

Another subject I thought should be brought up is pumps that are in place for a long time, they wont sell them, then eventually they get stolen. AND THEN they go to us guys that buy and collect them and suspect us of stealing them, even had the police come over to a buddies asking if he knew where they went!!
In the last few years here a visible with a single lens globe went missing, had been there about 60 yrs, and then 2Wayne 70,s with Chevron ad glass went missing as well, they were probably there 30 yrs or more, many times people tried to buy them..
Any similar experiences lets hear them..dodogas

Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

#91737 Sun Aug 10 2003 04:52 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Bring back the death penalty for stealing petroliana!!

Had a buddy with a restored Tokheim 850 Volumeter that sprouted legs one nite and never came home. He had the pump w/globe in his FENCED IN back yard with a German Shephard. Turns out the dog liked ground round more than the gas pump! Plus the pump was bolted down on a concrete pad.

If a thief wants what you have, they'll probably get it if they are any good....

My closest pump was a visible about 5 miles from my house. It was still in use beside a barn, but impossible to see from the road. Only after the farmer died was it discovered and went on the auction block. His wife left him while he was in the Army in WWll. He stayed single all those years after he came home from combat and was a real recluse. Nobody knew anything about him, he stayed to himself. Pump was a Wayne Cut 615, nice one, we pumped gas into it (and drained it)before we unhooked it and brought it home.

#91738 Sun Aug 10 2003 06:12 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
well a dude here got 3 repop globes stolen off his 3 fry mae wests. they left him a nice ladder though. a 861 got stolen from this farm 15 miles from here. i stopped & tried to buy that pump a few times. the thieves hack sawed it off. i would have just spun it around & around until off loaded & hauled butt!!!!!!! but i didnt have the guts! steal somethin & ITS BAD LUCK! AND YOU WILL PAY ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!!!!!!!
i told these kids 12-13 yr olds near our shop if they steal they would be sorry. they stole anyway! brought me some old car parts.(1932 FORD PARTS! HEADLIGHT BAR W/2 MINT HEADLIGHTS ON IT!!!) they wanted $50.00 i said i know where you got these so go put em back or im thumpin your mellons!!!!!!!!! they did. one kid came back a week or so later for pop outta machine. i was standing there but he was quiet. i said whats happenin today man. he said i cant talk good i fell down & bit the end of my tongue almost off a few days ago! doc says tongues heal fast though! i said see dude see what happens when you steal!!!!!! i said now whats gonna happen to the other guy? well his pedal arm on his bike broke off & hes home hurtin!!!!!! WHAT DID I TELL YOU PUNKS??????!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!

#91739 Sun Aug 17 2003 06:19 PM
B
B
I live in a subdivision adjacent to farm country. I found a Wayne 60, Wayne 70, and a Tokhein short 39 within a half mile of here. I'm still looking for more!

#91740 Sun Aug 24 2003 07:39 PM
S
S
Sort of a related story. From 1999 until earlier this year I worked at an auto parts store that had been converted from an old gas station. On one side of the building you could still see the original panels on the wall. The employee restrooms were still outside, and on the other side of the building were two of the old pumps. I don't know much about pumps but from looking at pics I think they were Tokhiems. They looked to be complete with all the original glass, faded Sohio logos and the porcelain "contains lead" signs. The guy who has owned the building for decades was asked many many times if he would sell them but he never gave em up. Earlier this year before I left that job he pulled the pumps up and put them in his storage building (one can only wonder what other stuff from the old station he has in there!) I think he was getting worried about somebody stealing them.

Inside the store there was still an old Valvoline Racing oil can, and we once found a bunch of Sohio credit card reciepts dated 1969.

I guess I never thought much about it at the time, but now that I'm getting into the hobby I see that I was kind of lucky to work in an old place like that.

#91741 Mon Aug 25 2003 04:46 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
GET THE PUMPS!!! TAKE YOUR BOLT CUTTERS TO HIS STORAGE UNIT.. JUST KIDDING!! MY DAD TRIED FOR 6 YEARS TO BUY THIS VISIBLE AND EVERY YEAR IT WAS" NO!!" ONE DAY HE RAN INTO THIS PERSON AND THEY GAVE IT TO HIM FOR $50.00.. THEY NEEDED TO CLEAN UP THE PLACE THEY SAID.. MORAL OF THE STORY,, NEVER GIVE UP,, YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN SOMEONE MIGHT CHANGE THEIR MIND..

#91742 Wed Aug 27 2003 05:38 AM
D
D
The closest I found a pump was in my driveway after work one day. A friend of mine went to an auction and bought me a Tokheim 452 Interceptor for $50. He said it looked like something I needed to have, and he was right. I'm still waiting to find the time to restore it, as well as the other 452 I haven't touched yet. Not enough hours in the day.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved