Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
puregas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
One day when I took my daughter to school on a 2-hr snow delay day in January, I decided to stop at an antique mall near her school. I've been in many times before and never found anything of significance. A lady asked me if she could help and I said, "Probably not, but I guess you could take my name and number in case you ever get any gas station related items since that's what I collect." A couple of Saturdays ago, I got a call and it was the lady from the antique mall. She said that a dealer had just brought in a Standard Oil sign and she wondered if I'd be interested in it. I asked her to describe it to me so I'd know if it was worth going and looking at. I was standing in my garage where I have a 30-inch Stanocola sign. I immediately realized that that was what she was describing. I then asked how much the dealer wanted for the sign, and I told her I would take it sight unseen. I jumped in my truck and drove over there as fast as I could thinking the whole way, "I hope no one comes in and finds out about the sign." I got to the mall and was surprised to see how great of condition the sign was in and even more surprised to see that it was an 18-inch, not a 30-inch sign. Just goes to show, even when you think it's useless to leave your name and number, you just never know.
I'm sure others out here have stories like this. Let's hear yours.

[This message has been edited by puregas (edited 04-14-2007).]

Looking for early Pure Oil Company items(Energee,Detonox,Puritan)as well as any Woco Pep items.

Looking for graphic quart cans for my collection.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I love the story! I hope you get it for a song...

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow! Thats a great sign.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great score!!!! Wish I had it.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Paddy,
The "luck" of the Irish can't go your way all the time! Be thankful for that easy Red Hat score!!

I have to say that I'm also envious of that Stanocola sign! From the story, I'd say he got the sign for a song. Like The Judds used to sing...Why Not Me??

Paul

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pat- Your stanocola luck wore off on me. I was emailed out of the blue from a guy who had a sign to sell. He told me what is was, and I took your lead and bought the sign, sight unseen. When it arrived I was SURPRISED at the condition.

Thanks for letting your stanocola luck rub off on me in Iowa! To bad mine is the 30 inch

------------------
Scott Wright-
http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerine.htm

[This message has been edited by powerlube (edited 09-10-2007).]

Scott Wright
puregas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Scott,great piece!Condition is awesome!Hey,that Stanocola "rub" oughta be worth $300-$400 off that quart Powerlube,right? Whata ya think?? Pat.

Looking for early Pure Oil Company items(Energee,Detonox,Puritan)as well as any Woco Pep items.

Looking for graphic quart cans for my collection.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved