Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#93052 Thu Apr 27 2006 06:44 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
AWESOME JOB! Really learned a lot and enjoyed all of the pics. We are all going to be watching for those tiger cans and signs for sure now.
Thanks again for sharing.
Rod

------------------

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#93053 Thu Apr 27 2006 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Whoa Rod- Lets not get crazy and start collecting this powerlube stuff. There is only so many guys allowed to collect it at the same time and the list is full ;0

Ok so the list is not full but man this stuff is hard to find. Enjoy the hunt and share your finds. I even have some addresses of stations in NE if you want them...

[This message has been edited by powerlube (edited 04-27-2006).]

Scott Wright
#93054 Thu Apr 27 2006 09:09 PM
K
Koz Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Scott contacted me about the Bearcat decal some time ago and asked if I was interested in doing a restoration. (It was only later that the decal and the globe were considered one and the same.) No doubt I was interested from the start yet I was concerned that the image should be as true as possile to the original. Makiing a fantasy image didn't interest me but given the state of the original decal and in particular the Bearcat itself, I knew it would be a challenge. It became quite obvious to both Scott and I that almost everything Bearcat changed with the wind. It should also be noted that the original Bearcat on the decal was apparently created on the silkscreen with a brush technique not unlike painting with a brush on canvas. (My own observation) Not even the original artist would have been able to create an exact copy given the process used. Yet, both of us wanted the image to be as true as possible.

Work started with a lot of experimentation using the original image. I told Scott that I wasn't going to punch the time clock till I had an understanding of what I could do and more importantly relay to him what was possible. It was only after a variety of Bearcats and other images with lettering became available that I knew something great was about to happen.

Colors shown in the image are for illustration purposes. Since Scott has the original decal, I thought it best if he matched colors on his end and then relayed that information for the actual glove production. I learned not to create colors for a decal and then expect the globe to look the same. It just dpesn't happen that way. Once the globe lens is in hand, decal colors wil be finalized so that both work together.

So is the image a fantasy? Not really. Is the image a duplicate of the original? Not really. What I can tell you is that no matter how great the image looks on your monitor, just wait till you see the real thing as a decal and globe.

Scott, you're the man. Thanks for giving me the opportunity. It has been a pleasure.

Al Kozeiski

#93055 Fri Apr 28 2006 04:36 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Koz:

The decal looks fantastic!

I know first-hand what you mean about old gasoline company logos changing on a whim. It's always better to have too much reference from a particular company than too little. I'm sure having all the different versions of the 'Bearcat' images to work from really helped.

I just introduced a Johnson Ethyl lens. You'd think since the Ethyl version would be on a pump next to the regular Time Tells version - that the lettering and wings would match. Not! The lettering for 'Johnson' is pretty much the same - but everything else is different.

As a 'for instance' - the 'G' in the word 'Gasoline' at the bottom of the two lenses is totally different.

Sorry to ramble on - the decal looks great and I'm sure that the lenses will be fantastic also.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com
Always buying Ethyl Globes, Ethyl Single Lenses & Misc Ethyl Items.

#93056 Fri Apr 28 2006 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks again Koz- This globe is going to look great. Well today I will add some the rest of the powerine items. I did save some of my favorite for last. Hang on to your drool buckets...

Final decal image

3'x5' awesome sign

Two different five gallons cans from CA

The rarest sign of all a small tin sign from a CA collection

What hunting the tiger is all about.
Thats it for me. I think I have posted all I have. If I find any more pictures that I have not posted I will bring them to you.

This has been fun and I think many of you have enjoyed the show. If you ever have any questions on whether a sign is real or not feel free to contact me. My new friend Craig Palmer has a saying when ever we talk about powerine items that I will leave you all with. Happy Hunting (as in hunting the powerlube tiger)

------------------
Scott Wright-
Wanted Powerine, Bearcat and Powerlube Items- Lots to trade!

Scott Wright
#93057 Fri Apr 28 2006 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The decal was indeed a spectacular find for me. Because I didn't know what it was, I posted it here. Scott has since aquired ownership of the 36B door that it is on, and I'm glad to say that it is in good hands now, and I'm sure that it's one of Scott's most treasured items. The detail on the original is incredible. One almost needs a magnifying glass to see the colors and layout of all the small dots down the back of the Bearcat.

I'm glad to see that Scott took the initiative to preserve this image, and make it available for others, and glad to have been a part of it. I was also fortunate enough to be invited to Scott's house, to see his collection of Powerine/Powerlube items. Nice stuff, thanks. Great job on this feature.

Did I say invited? Well, it was more like "Hey Scott, I'm just around the corner. I can be there in a minute!"

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#93058 Fri Apr 28 2006 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
of course I forgot a few...

They had calendars too.

To be posted at all powerine stations if you would like to read it go here: http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerweb/paper/creed.JPG

Oh yeah, thunder you are welcome over ANY time!

------------------
Scott Wright-
Wanted Powerine, Bearcat and Powerlube Items- Lots to trade!

[This message has been edited by powerlube (edited 04-28-2006).]

Scott Wright
#93059 Fri Apr 28 2006 07:59 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Thanks again for this great Power-lube article and photos.I really enjoyed it!!!!

Did you ever find out how the Power-lube sign you showed was cleaned?
Thanks
Bob

#93060 Fri Apr 28 2006 04:33 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Sorry it took me so long. Been readin' when I should be postin'.
This may make you guys cringe like your watching Thunder flatten one of Scotts signs with his big truck but I used polishing stones made to polish machining marks out of steel to clean the Powerlube sign. It was about a 600 or 800 grit soft stone with WD-40 as a wetting agent. Believe me I tried everthing imaginable before I did this but nothing touched the black and brown stains that seemed to be embedded in the porcelain. This darkening is on a lot of the signs that are coming from Wyoming now. And any areas that are white on these signs or any other Powerlube sign will stay that way. The blue porcelain on many of these signs was very thin and the white you see on most of them is where the blue has been etched away or bleaced out right to the white base color. The stone did not really scratch the porcelain like you might think because it was a very fine stone but I did put a clear lacquer over it after I finished just to help it shine. Wet/Dry sandpaper might do the same thing but I think your gonna use a LOT of sandpaper. This stain doesn't just wipe off. If any of you have tried getting it off you know that.

[This message has been edited by RARIN TO GO (edited 04-28-2006).]

#93061 Fri Apr 28 2006 04:37 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Well this is the only thing I have left thet I can post. And thanks to Scott I think I now know what the other globe is. Must be the Crystal globe.

Thanks for doing a great COTM Scott. I really learned a lot from it.
Chris

#93062 Fri Apr 28 2006 06:12 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
ANYBODY HAVE A TAPE MEASURE HANDY TO SEE IF SCOTT'S HEAD WILL FIT INTO THE " WORK DOOR COME MONDAY MORNING " ???

JUST A EXCELLENT JOB BUDDY, HATS OFF TO YOU AND ALL YOUR TIME SPENT ON THIS. LABOR OF LOVE .

DOUG

#93063 Fri Apr 28 2006 07:27 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I know you are kidding Doug but I do want to add this.
I know Scott and I don't think his head will get any bigger but I'm sure he has a bigger smile than usual knowing that he did a good job that many enjoyed and that he should be proud of.
You mentioned "LABOR OF LOVE"
Well that's what it is for Scott. Be it the work on this COTM or the Front Range Gas Bash or the Bearcat globe and decal that he has put so much work into but he has told me that he will not profit from it.
That's what oldgas is all about and it's great when it works!
Rock on Petro-heads!
Chris

#93064 Tue May 02 2006 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job. Very much enjoyed this post. i do have a question. If I read this right, Carter Oil bought out Powerine. right? I just bought some items from an old Carter bulk plant and it had a cardboard tiger that folded up and it was stamped onthe box from the manufacturer, "Carter Tiger Sign." It looks different than the Powerine Tiger. Did they get the ideas from Powerine? Or was it new. Can probably post a picture tonight. appreciate any ideas.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sure would love to see some of the newer members do a thread like this. Anyone interested?

Scott Wright
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved