Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Okay Dave, tell us about those pumps....

Hey Jarvis, at least you have a sense of humor about it. I don't collect globes, repop or real so what do I know anyhow.

Not only that but my wife rejected the table lamp idea so any repops I have that aren't on pumps are out the door.

Just remember JJ those 2 year olds grow up to be teenagers and whatever you say, they will do the opposite!

Okay, sorry gaspumpman, but no dealers allowed, we've got to settle this among the collector boys. Might want to email Doc though, he needs some more table lamps.

[This message has been edited by the poor mans museum (edited 02-02-2005).]

C Cragg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
o.k.. poorman.. i love your humor... you know that... but i feel repros got no place... if you want me to break that down i will... its been hashed over and over again but i'll go with my gut one more time..AS LONG AS THIS **** IS CLEARLY DEFINED AS REPRO... i guess i got no problem.. and on and on what people collect and why.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. oh sorry.. repro in my house.. no way... what others do and why... i'll respect that.. it hurts.. but i'll go the mile..

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like someone wants to make this a us against them thing. It really isn't that big a deal. It boils down to personal preference.
Me? I'm a collector, so I want originals. All of my lenses are original, but I have two repro globe bodies and its driving me crazy! I know , I know, short trip. Haha.

Don, you said "I don't have deep pockets like the guys that collect the original globes".
You might be suprized how small my collecting budget is. Its possible to build a nice collection on a limited budget. There are lots of globes that can be bought for less than $300 each, but they're not the graphic globes like what Pogo and Slama make. One guy went so far as to say my globes were ugly (the only negative comment I've ever heard about my collection). Maybe in his eyes they are, but to me they're great.

Its safe to say that most of the repro globes are going on restored pumps. Thats great. I'd hate to see an original outside on a pump where it would have a better chance of getting broken.

I think what JJ is talking about is the guys that have repro signs and globes on display. To me they just want a nostalgic look. That's fine, but that shouldn't be mistaken for "collecting".

There's no need for repro police, unless something is being mis-represented.

If someone wants to buy repops I say more power to them. BUT please only buy the marked repops! What we should be talking about is all of the UNMARKED repro's that are out there, and how to stop the problem from getting worse.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
See, you let that propeller spin long enough and the tension goes away.

I am absolutely with you on the issue of Repros being marked and I can't tolerate feebay sellers that misrepresent repros as original.

As for reproduction globes, I have to agree with Jarvis that they belong on pumps.

However, I can also see why people might collect some of the finer reproduction globes and display them. When an original globe costs upwards of $2500.00 and you can buy 10 quality reproductions for $250.00 it makes sense if you want to have an impact.

If you have kids or live in earthquake country, I'd rather cry over a broken $250.00 repop than a $2500.00 original.

That's just my perspective, but then I can't see paying well over $2,000.00 for a 5 quart Polly Oil can either, so I guess it's just a point of view.

Obviously we'll never settle this, although I thought that the thumb wrestling was a good idea. We'll just agree to disagree and move on to the next hot topic......."Reproduction Signs"!

C Cragg
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
eloquant i ain't... fire from the hip and deal with it.... however... bob put it into perspective...

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Bob, I don't know why someone would say your globes were ugly?? I have never seen an ugly globe repop or original. I think they all have something cool about them in either the graphics or in the colors. I did not mean to offend anyone about the deep pockets it's just I don't understand someone paying 500.00 or more for a globe that could get broken so easy or before it even gets in there hands. Once again I'm a pump man and globes are way down on my list of priorities. But I guess that is what makes collecting fun because if we were all after the same thing I would have nothing because it would all be to high priced to buy. Don

[This message has been edited by gaspumpman (edited 02-02-2005).]

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Hey poorman I did not notice till now you kicked me out of the globe club. :0{

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don, I don't think anyone was offended.
Sure a $500 globe can get broken.....a $2000 pump can get dented, a $1000 quart can be dropped. I don't see potential breakage being a concern unless you've been in contact with JJ. LOL

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OKAY, I GUESS IT'S MY TURN TO HORN IN HERE DESPITE THE FACT THAT IT'S WAY PAST MY BEDTIME! LOL!!!

FIRST OFF, I ONLY HAVE THREE REPRO GLOBES ON BASES SITTING AROUND MY HOUSE. THE REASON I HAVE THE TYDOL WAS FROM BEING INSPIRED OVER AT DON'S (5 QUART) HOUSE LAST WEEKEND. I ORDERED THE MOBILOIL OVAL WITH IT SINCE I HAD BEEN MEANING TO GET ONE SINCE LAST YEAR AT CARLISLE. THE SINCLAIR I THOUGHT WAS JUST A NICE DISPLAY OF GRAPHICS FROM ORIGINAL "RARE" GLOBAGE!

ALSO TAKE INTO EFFECT THAT I AM NOT A GLOBE COLLECTOR. I HAVE ONE ORIGINAL GLOBE AND I'VE BEEN COLLECTING FOR 20 YEARS! I DO HAVE ABOUT 8 OTHER REPRO GLOBES CURRENTLY ON ORIGINAL OLD PUMPS RESTORED AND NON-RESTORED.

I BUY THE REPRO'S BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAP AND THEY LOOK GREAT LIT UP ON THE BASES I MAKE FOR THEM. CURRENTLY I HAVE ONLY 3 TABLE LAMPS LEFT IN MY HOUSE. ONE IS AN AC SPARK PLUG AND THE OTHER TWO ARE CLOSE TO BEING EVICTED FROM THEIR CURRENT POSITIONS!

I AM MERELY BUYING THESE WELL MADE LIGHT-UPS AS AN ADVERTISING PIECE AND FOR COOL LIGHTING IN MY NOT SO BORING HOUSE! AS BOB SAID, IT'S REALLY A MATTER OF PREFERENCE AND CERTAINLY NOT ONE RELIGION IN ONE CHURCH TO ONE GOD! SO LET'S SEE SOME VERSATILITY OUT THERE AND COLLECT AND/OR DECORATE THE WAY YOU WANT TO!

(TRAIN IN VAIN)

DR.COKE OF THE MOSTLY ORIGINAL AMERICAN GARAGES! T.Y.V.M!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
I kicked you off before Bob jumped in to even up the teams, but then Doc never showed so you're back in.

Hey guys, it's fun to throw it around with all of you and I think we all know that it's just for fun.

Besides if we weren't having such a good time here we'd be stuck doing something boring like watching the State of the Union Address and all of the commentary afterwards.

KMANN, you're a good Man!

OOOops! Spoke too soon, the Doctor is in the house! Now it's even steven.

[This message has been edited by the poor mans museum (edited 02-02-2005).]

C Cragg
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Poor JJ he will never live that down!!! I'm glad I'm not him when it comes to the globes getting broke. I sure like the way he has kept good spirits even being hassled by everyone, even if I don't agree with him on the repro globe thing. But I guess my vote does not count any more, so I will go and cry myself to sleep counting rare double pumps. since it is only 8:22 I will go out and work on a few projects for awhile. Will check back in before bed time in 5 hours. Don

K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
i think all of that was said doc..

K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
enough with the broken globes... jarvis.. get rid of the repro globe you got on the "outside" pump and your in my corner... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.. nevermind... this topic is gettin' stale...

T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Jarvis doesn't have to live it down, it's his legacy and that's why we like him so much.

Doc, on the other hand, is never going to live down tha table lamp thing. He's a regular Martha Stewart when it comes to home decorating. (And look where that got her).

C Cragg
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
poor.. never thought of that... garage cool... what u think... k mart might want to hear about this..

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved