Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
WOW what a topic, As Curt said I do both real and repro stuff and mark and sell the repro stuff as such. I made the wayne 800 double, 150 double and the boe oil dispenser mock up, all of which are items I wanted but could never find or afford so I decided to make them and sell a few to help cover the cost.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
That's it!!!!!!!!!!

The Dr. CoKe line now available at your local Kmart store. Featuring naughty pictures of foreign girls and gas pump globe table lamps.

Interior Decorating Products Just For Men!

C Cragg
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
BOB THANKS FOR MAKEING SUM CENTS OUT OF THIS BULL.R U SURE THAT CLOWN WAS NOT SAYING YOU WERE UGLY? NOW THAT WOOD MAKE SUM CENTS.LOL.......YOUR COLLECTION IS OUTSTANDING ACCORDING TO LONNIE HOP IN HIS CHECK THE OIL REPORT.
COULD CARE LESS ABOUT ANY BODY'S FINANCIAL SITUATION IF YOUR BUYING REPRODUCTION GLOBES TO COLLECT YOUR WASTING YOUR MONEY,EXCEPT FOR DECORATING.
ITS NOT OFTEN YOU GET TO ENJOY SOMETHING LIKE OUR HOBBY AND WATCH THE STUFF INCREASE IN VALUE.
JJ AND KM ......PM IS JUST TRYING TO KEEP US EAST COAST GUYS UP WHILE HE ENTERTAINS HIMSELF.NEVER SETTLE THIS?? IT HAS BEEN SETTLED A LONG TIME AGO IT JUST GETS REHASHED BY GUYS THAT AREN'T INTO GLOBES BECAUSE OF EARTHQUAKES.
HEY YOU SHOULD SEE MY COLLECTION!!!....ITS JUST AS GOOD AS A ZEROX.
THANKS JP FOR THIS GREAT SITE
REX

K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
rex... i would like nothing more than to see your collection and share a bourbon or two.. if you are a drinkin' man.. the bourbon's on me..

T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
You're right Rex, I enjoy hashing it out with these guys, hopefully not just for my personal entertainment.

On the whole I'm in total agreement with you guys, buy real stuff and buy the best you can afford. There is not doubt that the long term best investment in this hobby is going to be real globes and real signs. They can be moved far easier than pumps and they graphically tell the history of this hobby.

Obviously there is a market for reproduction products because a lot of them are being sold but I don't believe that is where the long term value lies for the serious collector.

For those of us that are not so serious, they make nice wall filler and we can enjoy them for what they are.

Hope nobody was offended and took this in the good natured way it was intended!

Nice work by the way Dave.

C Cragg
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I bought 4 pumps this week,2 bennett 541s,a wayne 60 and a St Louis Visible.All in my eyes unrestored,the guy thought he restored them by painting them with a brush.When I made the deal he had a globe that he had to keep,it was a repro,junk to me but gold to him I guess.He isnt a big collector,just had these pumps for a long time and decided to sell!I tried to tell him about the investment of original globes versus repro but he didnt care,he said they all looked the same with no money spent.Trying to get some pictures for everyone to see.Just restored a very old visible Groetken pump and a Bowser exacto sentry.Camera loaned to Female and never found its way back home yet!!

+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
The educational aspect of this website is unbelieveable, I just found out that the stack of limited Edition globes that I have , is not considered collecting it's called decorating WOW all this time and I never knew ,Pogo, Slama , T-way Dwaine ,You guys never told me this was decorating and not collecting, I guess I'm in the wrong class, even though I have several ORIGINAL gas pumps to put them on ,I can now tell my friends that I don't collect them they just show up and I keep them and that they are in no way to be considered a collection ,it's to be looked at like wall paper, and another thing I just found out that the 500+ diecast cars that I've collected since the early 80's are considered noncollectables ,even though most are up around 400.00 to 600.00 in apprasel with a cost of maybe 10.00 originaly, Hey I know maybe I'll melt them down and make some art deco ash trays,yeah thats it, I've got to get rid of those Fake globes before the repro cops find out or I'm in big trouble, How did it get this far ,as a kid I told my dad, I said dad when I grow up I want to be a collector of original globes ,and he said thats good son ,set your sights high, OH man where did I go wrong? how did I get on this side of the tracks , they say that admitting it is the first step to recovery, wow. You guys are way up an a pedistal I am not worthy to even be on this site, I'am so ashamed of my self ,what will I tell my wife and kids. All you COLLECTORS have a good day

Chris Holt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ENCORE! ENCORE! WELL SAID, MR. HOLT!
I LIKE HOW YOU "VENT!"

POOR MAN, I SOMETIMES WISH I COULD TAKE A NAUGHTY PICTURE ONCE IN A WHILE OF THOSE IMPORTS! LOL! BUT FOR NOW IT'S N/N FOR THE DOCTA!

K-MART? INTERIOR DECORATING? MARTHA STEWART? ( I HUNG WITH HER DAUGHTER IN THE HAMPTONS ONE NIGHT ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO) C'MON POOR MAN - DON'T PUT ME IN THAT LIFESTYLE - IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!

DOC @ TAG/WEST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One thing to say. You only have to please yourself.
However, how did this post on Showcase get into a debate.
Bob, Hubba somebody move this to somewhere else. Ted

------------------
Ted & Pam Roach
Lodi CA.
pca-west.org

[This message has been edited by troach (edited 02-03-2005).]

[This message has been edited by troach (edited 02-03-2005).]

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Hey Chris.. That doesn't appear to be the Chris I know, Calm, Laid back,Easy going, Low key.... Very Very well said....

I was kinda wondering when you were going to jump on the NASCAR thing....
Took longer than I thought.

It appears to me, from here, that P.M. (Curt) and Doc were just FUNNIN'

Some guys appear to be way to serious...
Lighten up a bit.......

Regards ....
Jerry J .....
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
This post did get moved by Gary to the general petro discussion, but to make sure you see my response I'm posting it over here too, since I was the one that started this whole thing here.

What started out as some good natured ribbing about the repop globes may have gotten a little sideways in the end. I think most of us took it for what it was (including Dave Kois) which was a fun discussion.

Dave had actually posted his pictures at almost exactly the same time that I did so there were two posts going featuring his great work.

Dave is a good natured guy and I was just trying to make the point that you can do some really nice work using reproduction pieces as he showcased. This is pretty much in line with the consensus that the repro globes look best on pumps.

If I did offend anyone, I would appreciate it if you would email me directly rather than air it out in the posts. I'd rather deal with it out on a one on one basis than turn what was intended to be fun into a public fued.

This is what I call a "Chocolate versus Peanut Butter" argument. Meaning, in the end it doesn't matter that anyone wins, or what your prference is, but by expressing all of our ideas we learn a lot and hopefully have a good time.

C Cragg
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Boy, you leave town for a week or two and you come back to a subject like this!......I personally saw these pumps at Barrett Jackson. Dave did a great job on them. Not everyone's cup of tea,but it is a free country....last time I looked. Enough hot air on this subject to power a small city....live and let live.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved