Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I bought this sign from Jackie Knott at Iowa Gas in 2007.

It had a blank panel at the top without porcelain. I was told this was a "privlidge panel" that could be painted in with the dealers name. I saw a second sign like it at the show also but it was in worse shape. I have never seen one like this before that had the dealers name painted in the blank spot. They normally look like this;

I took mine to the sign shop about a year and a half ago and asked them to paint dads name on it as he was a Sinclair dealer back in the day. This is the after shot;

I think it came out pretty good. The font on the lettering is a little off but I am happy with the job they did on it. Dad likes it too!

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
The sign looks great and having your dads name on it makes it just that much better! Is that sign the 6ft version?

Mike Hudson
303-916-3907
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Wes, that turned out GREAT!! I'm sure dad likes it alot. Don

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks perfect to me. It was kind of hard to see with all the other eye candy.
Mike

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wes - Thats quite an honor to your dad. Sounds as if you two have a great father son relationship. I'm sure he was very proud when he saw the sign. The sign looks GREAT!!!

Kurt

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sign looks great nice to find a sign you can put your Dad's name on. Jack

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Wow awesome job. That's one of my favorite signs ever. Wish mine had one of those panels!

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Yes, it is the 6 foot size. I was offered the sign a few years ago when Jackie still had it hanging on his wall. I passed on it at the time but am now very glad I got it when he had it at the Iowa Gas show. Dad bought out grandpa when he retired from Holmes Oil Co in Ohio. They sold Sinclair, later switching over to Arco then Pennzoil. Dad hassince retired. I just got back from a great road trip with my dad and brother. We went and saw a great collection in Pilot Mountain NC. The collection was pictured in I believe PCM a few months ago. Two story brick building on main street, used to be the towns bank. Super collection of porcelain, neon, pumps, globes and cans. Nice guy to visit with too. We next went to Miles Littles place, also in NC. Talk about another awsome place to visit. He had a nice selection of exceptional pumps and a lot of signs and other gas stuff. A lot of the pumps were restored to a lot nicer condition than when original but the pumps looked fantastic. Next we went south of the border to SC to see the Van Kannel brothers. They restore signs for those of you that don't know. http://www.vankannelsignrestoration.com/

Another great visit. Had a great weekend and it was good to spend time with family and friends.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Cool sign there Wes. Also cool to see it with a personal touch. Looks good

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved