Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9458 Tue Feb 28 2006 11:14 AM
S
SteveW Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am about to reassemble my two Tokheim 39s (lo boy), which I have taken apart years ago... Unfortunately, both are different when it comes to the setup and design of the interior parts. My problem now is how to attach the weight (which moves the hose) to my 39 LRA.

I have attached some pictures - the first three show the side of the pump with what I think is the correct weight. The last pictures shows the two weights, I think the right one is the correct.
Now when I try to install them, somehow they don't fit - does anyone have the same pump and some pictures of its restoration which could help me. Does the weight attach to the top or the bottom part? This one is too short to be attached to both of them.
I also have an old manual, unfortunately it is not the exact type of Tokheim 39.
Thanks for your help!

[This message has been edited by SteveW (edited 02-28-2006).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#9459 Tue Feb 28 2006 11:32 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
the one on the rite with the tubes is for the stamped steel base and the angle iron is for the cast alumn base. Take the top off the tube one and turn it arond looks backwards to me. The bottom goes in those two holes in the base. I had an oddball cast base version that was orrignaly a tall that was cut down, and was 1 inch taller than a reuglar short. the skins and frame was 1 inch taller. If the frames are not the same hight the taller one I would say goes with the cast base. Maybee you mixed up frames and bases? I still belive the top is backward on the tube one.
Brandon

#9460 Tue Feb 28 2006 11:42 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Steve, unless you are attempting a "concourse" restoration, just leave the thing out. It's a heavy piece that only makes the pump even heavier. The restored pumps I have don't have these wwights in them. The nozzles have not been taken out of their receivers in years, so having the retractable cable and weight has little value or use.

#9461 Tue Feb 28 2006 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would have to agree with Gary. Don't lose sleep on this one. Unnecessary weight in a non-functional pump. JMTC Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
#9462 Tue Feb 28 2006 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like maybe you have your base turned 180 degrees. If the holes in the base that the weight bolts to are on the same side has the nozzle you have it turned wrong. I can't tell for sure by the pictures. As for keeping the weight and making it functional-I kept mine and made it work. Kind of fun feeling that weight on there.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#9463 Tue Feb 28 2006 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
STEVE, I JUST TOOK ONE OUT OF THE 39 I'M CURRENTLY RESTORING. I AGREE WITH GARY ABOUT LEAVING IT OUT. I WILL BEING DOING JUST THAT....IT'S GOT TO BE ABOUT 15 POUNDS OFF THE WEIGHT OF THE PUMP. SINCE MOST RESTORED PUMPS ARE FOR LOOKS ONLY AND NOT FUNCTIONAL, I WOULD "DUMMY" A STRAP AROUND THE HOSE AND FEED THE WIRE THRU THE PORT AND FASTEN IT INSIDE SOMEWHERE OR JUST USE A SHORT HOSE AND NOT WORRY ABOUT IT LIKE I DID ON MY FIRST TOK39 RESTO.

~DOC

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#9464 Tue Feb 28 2006 04:30 PM
S
SteveW Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for your answers - I agree that the extra weight is quite unnecessary, but I just like to watch the mechanism work. Maybe after I have done a few more pumps, I will think differently about it.
Now I have found some more pictures - the tube weight (the right on the picture) is definitively for the pump on the picture. However, it is too short to be attached to the base and the top.

@keithia
The two holes on the base for the bolts of the weight are on the side that says "hose side" (you can see it on the 2nd picture).
I turned it to the same direction where the nozzle goes and the hose comes out. Is that wrong?

If anyone has some pictures of this type of 39 with the weight attached to top and/or base, I would be very happy to see them.

Thanks again!

#9465 Tue Feb 28 2006 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If the base is stamped "hose side" then that is correct. The weight assembly does not attach or bolt to the top. It bolts to the interior framework of the pump or something that bolts to the frame. It only runs part way up the pump. It may have a separate bracket to attach to the frame. I wish I had my pump here and I would check for you but it is at my brothers.

After looking at your pictures again, it seems to me that it may bolt onto the hose outlet bracket.

Keith

[This message has been edited by keithia (edited 02-28-2006).]

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#9466 Tue Feb 28 2006 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a pump just like this I am painting the base on tommorow. I will post the pictures you need of how this part goes back in.

I ALWAYS leave them in, and hook back up the mec to make it work again. The only thing I toss out is the pump motor and pump works. I think it is nice to have the retracts working on all of the pumps.

I understand what you are going through right now, this is easy but tricky sometimes. I have done enough to know exactly how to put it back.

Like I said I will post the pics of this unit tommorow.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#9467 Tue Feb 28 2006 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ah heck with tommorow - had to go check on the jacuzzi anyway...

Here are the pics of the one I am finishing tommorow. Mine is a bit different. Hope this helps. PS - I never break the stands down as far as you did. Everything silver on mine stayed together!

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#9468 Tue Feb 28 2006 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It looks like you need the one on the LEFT! That should bolt right up just like mine.

Good luck.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#9469 Wed Mar 01 2006 04:40 AM
S
SteveW Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks Travis for the pictures! Nice silver paint. Maybe next time I will do it like you and won't take it apart totally. The pump on your pictures is pretty much like the other one I have - similar base, also the rectangular retracts and the same sight glass setup. I put the retracts in there yesterday, it fits without any problems.
Now I am still left with the tubular retracts (and the pump on the picture).
I wonder how many times Tokheim changed the interior setup - my 2 pumps are different, Travis pictures are similar in some parts to my other 39, but a few parts are still different (e.g. top steel panel).

#9470 Wed Mar 01 2006 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I USUALLY PAINT MY FRAME & BASE POR-15 BLACK. BUT AFTER SEEING TRAVIS' IN SILVER I MIGHT DO MY CURRENT TOK39 IN POR-15 SILVER. BUT NO WAY AM I PUTTING THAT COUNTERWEIGHT BACK IN!

~DOC

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#9471 Wed Mar 01 2006 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Personally, I prefer to take my pumps down to bare metal. Chemical strip, then acid wash, blast if needed. I use a hammertone on the frame, yellow for electrical, red for the fuel systems, some details, such as the door mounting brackets and computer tray, are silver hammertone.

All the fasteners are replaced, skins are painted white on the inside, then reassembled. I prefer to keep the counter weight, so on this pump the roll-up spool was re-wound. The computer has not yet been addressed on this pump as the potential customer wants to keep his cost down.

I've got a fifty dolla bill, in this resto.

[This message has been edited by Thunder II (edited 03-01-2006).]

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#9472 Wed Mar 01 2006 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Almost every pump I come across has a silver frame to start with, except the MS-80's they are yellow. I have my frame sandblasted all together, and then prime, and paint with Rustolum Can Aluminummmmennemmenme "how ever that is spelled" spray paint. I do this on every electric I re-do. Looks good and last forever.

Every pump I find is different inside, even ones that are just 100 on the SN# are different using other parts... Same goes with the old Model T's = I think they just used what they had laying around.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka Kansas

785-357-1004

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved