Next Thread
Print Thread
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
ITS STORY TIME AGAIN.
ITS THAT TIME OF THE MONTH AGAIN if you know what i mean!

I guess ill tell a story this time,
before the petro addiction (right before) around the mid 80s a friend of mine (Troy) & i would go on junk hunts & he has super good eyes. he can see right through anything i think.

we would take an afternoon or an all day tour snooping around the country looking for treasures, mainly early V8 fords whenever time permitted, it seems i always drive & he points out directions.
load up with junk food & hit the gravel.

one day we were west of town out aways looking at some old trucks at a farm place & it was so nice out we decided to take a tour. we went all over & looked at everything we could until late afternoon. he said hey im going to show you something turn here so i did & we went awhile he gave more directions until we ended up at our destination where there were hundreds of wild Deer (4 legged animals) out in a farm field. we pulled in a field drive & watched along with a few other cars that were all looking at these Deer. i guess the farmer fed them & Deer came from all over to eat, it was really something!

after 20 minutes he said ok head down here, which i did i headed north down a gravel road. the left side of the road was low. the right side of the road had a hill so all the houses on the left side of the road were way down low, we drove aways & i spotted an abandon farm house on the left. he said pull in there. i pulled down in the driveway looking at the farm house with windows knocked out & an old red barn leaning, it looked pretty cleaned out & he said i cant believe you didnt see it. i said see what? just then i spotted it, to the right was a building about 30X40 that was sided with signs!!! every kind of sign you could imagine all the way around the building was covered in signs of every kind!
we got out & looked at that place, walked around & i only spotted just a couple bare spots that a couple signs had been pulled off the building. this building was not visible from the road as trees & brush covered it.

MAN i remember looking at that place, pulling on a couple signs & they were nailed on good. (flat bar needed to remove them) we looked awhile at the place.
i remember no door on the building but i cant remember what was inside.
i leaned back on the car & stared at the place awhile & I said HEY this guy must have a sign stockpile somewhere so we started looking around & sure enough we found BiG signs way out behind the place in the tall weeds, we pulled some up to see what was underneath & it was quite a pile.

we went into the house & looked around then & it was cleaned out, kids smashed out the windows & nothing was in there. i went upstairs & looked around & spotted a short door that wouldnt open so i gave it a kick & it opened & there was the JACKPOT!!!
in the attic were 2 piles of neatly stacked signs the biggest being 2'x2' we looked through those signs & there were porcelain & tin signs of everything youd ever want!

THAT DAY I NEVER TOOK ONE SIGN, we decided we'd find out who owns the place & buy them all & we decided to leave as it was getting dark out.
Troy grabbed a 'model' 10 cents cigarettes sign that was NOS & a copenhagen sign & we left.

some of the signs were chipped & scratched & some were perfect on this building & we wanted them but not like we would of TODAY!

soon after that we both decided we needed a gas pump & that started a whole new venture.
we became preoccupied with petro & getting gas pumps & that was soooooo fun & easy, pumps still stood on busy blacktop roads & the pickins were gooooooood! AND CHEAP!!!

later that year i drove out to that abandon farm & i knew i was in the right place but everything was GONE!!! someone burned the house & the sign building was pushed down. someone dug a big hole & burried the building!

Troy & i were on the road trip earlier as i posted. hes the guy that bought that red 72 chev pickup i posted a picture of.
i brought that sign building up to Troy & he said WE ARE IDIOTS do you remember the whole roof was also covered in signs?!!

OOOOOOOOOH MAN were we ever fools that day & ever since then ive been "SOUR" aginst signs!!!

[This message has been edited by tom 2 tone (edited 03-11-2005).]

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GREAT STORY, THERE TOMMY. IF IT WERE ME 20 YEARS AGO FINDING THAT BUILDING MADE OF SIGNS, I WOULD'VE BEEN RIGHT ON IT LIKE FLIES ON A RIB-ROAST! SIGNS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A FAVE SINCE I STARTED COLLECTING COCA-COLA IN 1972.
SIGNS WERE ALWAYS A FAVE OF ANY KIND!

HEY! WHAT'S YOUR SIGN?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DOC @ TAG/WEST

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Tom, how about another story?

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved