Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Dick Bennetts new engine stand is in the whitewall slik pik( say real fast)

Complete stand, they look KILLER with the flathead trim...

Mendenhall's stuff is too cool, seen pics of it before in Street rodder at a Boneville Reunion...did you get a pic of the parts/beater pumps?? looked like interesting stuff!!

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Dodogas, you asked for it, you got it.

This is Gas Pump Alley. There are not a lot of restored pumps at Mendenhalls, but there are plenty of unrestored ones on the back lot. As Mark Mendenhall says, "I've got a lifetime worth of projects". I'd say his lifetime and his kids.

There are some clockfaces among the visibles and electrics, just waiting to be restored.

Tomorrow I'll share some more history, start posting more pictures, including some globes and eventually solve the Richlube Globe Mystery, so hold on there's more!

C Cragg
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
MORE NOW!!!

MORE!!!

T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
And now for the history lesson:

A Little More History

After meeting with Mark on Tuesday night, I’m able to answer a few more questions about Jacks collection (and now for that matter Mark’s collection).

Mark shared this aerial photo of Jacks tow yard and gas station. Not quite sure of the date, but you can see the main building in the middle of all the cars. This is the two story structure with the signs on it from some of my first photos. In the lower right corner is Jack’s Richfield station (Has the “ARCO” sign on it) that he operated from the 50’s into the 70’s when he sold it off. Mark also showed me a picture from the parking lot of their Richfield station looking down the Avenue of the Flags where I could see a Seaside, Shell, Texaco, Chevron and a Flying A station, along with the original Pea Soup Andersens. I will try and get a copy of this photo to share with you.

When Jack got out of the gas station business in the 70’s he became a “Traveling Salesman” (no jokes here please). And what did he sell? Signs! Actually he sold Open & Closed signs to businesses. And while he was out selling signs he towed a double decker trailer with him and collected signs from behind gas stations and gas pumps too. Mark remembers his dad coming home with a trailer load of signs and pumps and helping him unload. At the time Mark wondered why his dad was dragging home all that junk.

Well, now Mark is hooked on his dad’s junk too and in fact it’s now his collection. Talking to Mark you can tell he has the bug and he is avidly adding to the collection.

Here’s the aerial photo.

What do they collect?

Definitely signs, both advertising and petro related. They have a number of road signs of local historical interest.

Globes, both originals and some reproductions (more about that soon).

Racing memorabilia related to Bonneville

What they don’t really collect.

Cans, not too many on display, more in storage.

Restored pumps, they have the pump alley, but overall there are not a lot of restored pumps on display.

Smalls (or at least they aren’t on display) other than Mark’s Richfield cabinet

Of course they have a lot of some things and a little of everything and for that matter a whole lot of stuff!

Okay, now it's late, especially for you 2tone, so I'm going to bed and posting more in the morning.

C Cragg
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Hey Poor man You are doing an EXCELLENT job on covering Jacks collection. Only wish I were there with you!! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing the collection and your time with us. Don & Lynn

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
JEEZ LOUISE! YOU COULD MAKE A SIGN PRICE GUIDE WITH THIS AWESOME COLLECTION. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MORE. 150 PICTURES? THIS WILL BE THE BIGGEST PRIVATE COLLECTION IN SHOWCASE! AMAZING!
PETRO HEAVEN!

CURT....YOU THE MAN!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES
COLLECTOR, PHOTOGRAPHER AND ASYLUM EXPLORER

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
I don't know if I will post all 150 photos, but there's still more to come.

This morning we solve the Richlube Globe mystery!

Last night when I went over to meet Mark Mendenhall it turned out that Jack was there too. Fortunately I got to meet Jack and ask him some questions about his collection.

One of the questions was about the Richlube globe. I had seen it on Saturday and it's a beautiful globe.

Now I want to make sure we all know that I didn't ask about it to prove anybody right or wrong on this and I don't want to re-open the repop versus real debate again. I just happened to be in a position to ask the person that would know about it directly.

So here's the answer straight from Jack Mendenall.

This is the only known Richlube globe and in fact it is a one off REPRODUCTION!.

Unfortunately, it was a bad experience for Jack because he traded some real things for what he was told was a real globe. It wasn't until later that he found out that it was a fake and that he had been burned in the deal.

They still display it though, along with the real Richfield globes.

And since we're on the subject of Jack's globes, you might as well know that the vast majority on display are REAL including this one of only a few known El Camino Real globes.

And now you globe lovers, here's what you have been waiting for....a wall of globes, just part of the very large ORIGINAL globe collection at Mendenhall's

And since we're settling the issue of Repops on display, here are some Mike Slama Mobile Bonneville globes. Jack and Mark are passionate about Bonneville racing so Jack had these globes reproduced from original globe images so that he could have some sets for his racing buddies. Great stuff!

I still have more photos, including some fresh ones from last night so stay tuned!

[This message has been edited by the poor mans museum (edited 02-09-2005).]

[This message has been edited by the poor mans museum (edited 02-09-2005).]

C Cragg
F
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
F
Excellent Job Poor Man!!!
Thank you so much for bringing this to us along with the history and narrative.

------------------
Frank

Frank
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Great job poor man, glad that Jack Mendenall put this "Richlube" globe to bed & that it is indeed a repop as Lastgas had stated. My hats off to Lastgas for the knowledge he has in our hobby, he nailed it as per Jack's story of the trade.

[This message has been edited by ss454elcamino5 (edited 02-09-2005).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Poorman. That was some awesome stuff. Very educational. Talking to someone with that much knowledge of collectibles must be fascinating. It was nice to get an accurate report. Thanks again. ~Jason
http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum1/HTML/005341-6.html

[This message has been edited by pollyman (edited 02-09-2005).]

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Elden,
Thanks.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
T
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
T
Okay, enough about the globe issue, let's see some more speed and neon. Nothing like big motors, hot rods and Gilmore neon to make your day.

Don't worry, there's more!

C Cragg
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
keep em comin.
poor MAN you did a nice job of letting us in on these treasures!

he even has a deuce roadster to boot!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Another "PETROGASM" on Oldgas! My Gawd, I was breathless, and couldn't type anything UNTIL............I saw the pumps with the "School House" light globes! LOL. Now Curt, I just have to ask ya. What did Jack say about those? I know you asked! Those Beacon signs are KILLER!

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 02-09-2005).]

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
Yep, those Beacons are NICE! (Gilmore ain't too shabby either! lol)
Does anyone know if that red pump with the flame is a Keese?
More pics, more pics, more pics!!!!

Oh yeah, is it just me or does that pump at the end have an NBC peacock on it? What?

------------------
WANTED: Sunset Gas/Oil stuff!

[This message has been edited by aquaelvis (edited 02-09-2005).]

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved